Installed a Constant-Record Dashcam on My '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I have been wanting to "document" my rides, so naturally I had a GoPro in mind. But based on the purpose and functionality I sought, along with price sensitivity (GoPros are $300-$400+), and given the recommendations on this website, I went with a dashcam instead of a GoPro. Specifically, I got the G1W-C ($69.95; model with capacitor vs. battery).

It comes with a stick-on windshield mount. But knowing I didn't want that for my FJR windscreen, I ordered the rear-view mirror mount accessory ($7.95). I didn't know how I was going to actually mount it till I got all the pieces and started poking around my dash shelf (see below for the teeny issues I encountered).

The G1W-C dashcam takes a cigarette-lighter adapter, so I picked this one up via CycleGear online. I thought about placing this obnoxious device under my seat, which would have worked great since the power cord that comes with the dashcam is about 6 feet long! But I wanted to be able to easily switch the camera to our automobile if I wanted to; so I couldn't run the power cord under my tank.

I also needed to get a memory card, which I picked up at a Staples. The above-linked Wirecutter website recommends a 4GB class 6 ScanDisk card (approx. 1 hour of recording time), but I got the 32GB class 10 ScanDisk, based on what was in stock and a price comparison.

What's cool about the dashcam is that you don't have to turn it on and off all the time: it turns on with the key (I connected the cigarette-lighter adapter to my fusebox so it's only hot when the key is turned on), and it records automatically, over-writing the memory card when the card gets full. So I don't have to think about it; it is always recording what's ahead of me.

When I park at the commuter-train station, it will be an easy removal to stow in my trunk till I'm ready to ride home (I never mount all my other dash-shelf accessories when taking the train and parking at the station all day; but I will mount this).

One teeny issue: the dashcam is designed to be mounted in an automobile, either dangling downward off the windshield or downward from the rear-view mirror. I had to mount it "upwards" on my dash shelf (photos below). As a result, the image is upside down. But that's no big deal, because if I ever need the footage, I can easily reverse it on Microsoft Movie Maker or Youtube (the date and time would then be inverted).

I haven't been out on the bike with it yet (just finished installation today). But when I first got it, I hooked it up to the Fang's car cigarette lighter, recorded video, and came inside and uploaded it successfully to my computer.

My installation is, admittedly, not as elegant as others on this forum are capable of; but I believe the electrics are solid, and it is functional for my needs. Pics below....

20150509_145832a.jpg

20150509_145635aaa.jpg

20150509_145846a.jpg

20150509_145358a.jpg

20150509_145627a.jpg

20150509_145939a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JB, you make me smile every time I see you or talk or read your posts.

We really need to ride, soon.

Call or PM. Let's make this happen.

I fitted a similar device to truck about a year ago. Aboue months ago a numpty in a brand new BMW 435 decided that 4 way stops didn't apply to BMWs ahd he T-boned me totalling my truck (not difficult to do to a 2003 Ford with 135000 miles on it). I talked to his insurance (USAA) and based on my description of the events they thought it was his fault, but still wanted to talk to him. 2 weeks later they got back to me and told me that he had given a completely different acount of the accident and as such they were now coming after me for his damage.

I sent them 10 secs of footage from my dashcam and 2 days later I had my check !!

I am looking for a waterproof one for my FJR.

Probably not waterproof; maybe drizzleproof.... I'm banking on being in California. The kind of riding I do, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But waterproof would be good.

Don, my son is moving back to SB next weekend, which means more trips there to visit him and more passing through your hood. Also, CalPoly still wants me to come talk to them about what we're doing at Berkeley. So we will definitely get together. Also, there is a bed here for you and yours if you wanna come this way some weekend.

When I take the train into work, which I ride the bike to and park it all day, I don't put all that sh*t on my dash shelf (it's all easy on / off). Only my garage door opener goes to the train station, and now the dashcam.

Last edited by a moderator: