Gortex LIned Boots . . .

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHarlan

Reaction score
I have a pair of Oxtar Infinities (now TCX boots) that are 5 years old . . . they are gortex lined and have always been waterproof. I've been through some nasty rain storms and full days of riding in the rain . . . they've always stayed dry. Well with about 5 years and 40,000 miles on them last night they both started leaking at the toes. I rode about 2 hours in some cold drizzle and rain - after about an hour I noticed my toes getting cold . . . got home to discover they're both wet inside but just in the toe area. I've always kept them clean and oiled . . . Just wondering if Gortex just gives up the ghost after a while . . . or if perhaps oiling my boots has compromised the Gortex lining . . . either way it look slike it's time for a new pair of boots.

Any thoughts on the life expectancy of Gortex linings?

Gortex, like anything else wears as you use it. You've probably worn it enough that it is no longer able to keep the water out. Oiling the outer leather has nothing to do with it.

Its just time for new boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of Oxtar Infinities (now TCX boots) that are 5 years old . . . they are gortex lined and have always been waterproof. I've been through some nasty rain storms and full days of riding in the rain . . . they've always stayed dry. Well with about 5 years and 40,000 miles on them last night they both started leaking at the toes. I rode about 2 hours in some cold drizzle and rain - after about an hour I noticed my toes getting cold . . . got home to discover they're both wet inside but just in the toe area. I've always kept them clean and oiled . . . Just wondering if Gortex just gives up the ghost after a while . . . or if perhaps oiling my boots has compromised the Gortex lining . . . either way it look slike it's time for a new pair of boots.

Any thoughts on the life expectancy of Gortex linings?
I'm surprised that the soles have lasted this long, I can go through a set of soles in about one good riding year, of course that typically means 30k+ miles :rolleyes:

You've gotten your money's worth, time to update. ;)

Yeah . . . the soles are getting fairly close to a "re-do" . . . thinking about the Sidi Adventure Gortex . . . although a new pair of TCX (Oxtar) Infinities aren't out of the questions either . . .

You've worn through or almost through the Gortex with your toes...... James, how do you go through a set of soles in one year, did they not teach you to lift your feet after the bike is moving and not to use the Fred Flintstone method of braking? I have 4 year old Oxtar Matrix boots (TC5's now), soles have minor wear, boots are still waterproof.

You've worn through or almost through the Gortex with your toes...... James, how do you go through a set of soles in one year, did they not teach you to lift your feet after the bike is moving and not to use the Fred Flintstone method of braking? I have 4 year old Oxtar Matrix boots (TC5's now), soles have minor wear, boots are still waterproof.
Have you checked the prices of OEM FJR pads lately :lol:

Seriously though I was talking about the various boots from TCX, which have the more sport boot type sole, so there's less sole there to start with.

For example: TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex Boot, TCX S-Zero Boots, etc. My current set of A-Star Scouts with the industrial soles will likely last a good deal longer, and can be re-soled...

You've worn through or almost through the Gortex with your toes......
That was my thought . . . or most likely conclusion. I just pulled the insoles I had been using out and the boots are still damp & wet under the insole . . . poop.

I've been looking at the Sidi "On Road Gortex" boots as a replacement . . . the Sidi "Adventure Gortex" are appealing, but look like I could go lumberjacking and are $150 more than the On Roads.

I can destroy the gore tex lining in a pair of boots in a week or two! Okay, it's extreme usage that does them in because I'm talking about hunting boots that are worn in moutainous terrain. The flexing that's inevitable when walking up and down and side-hill on very steep terrain will cause the gore tex bootie to get micro tears that allow water in. I suspect that this is also a factory in riding boots over time.

I currently have 2 pairs of Alpinestar gore tex boots that leak and one pair is almost new. The new pair was bought cheap on ebay and I made the mistake of not testing them until I could no longer return them.

A word on testing: I've made it a habit (the ebay Alpinestars a notable exception) to test any new waterproof boots by filling a sink with water and sticking the boots in to make sure they are truly waterproof. A set of small dumbbells work great for keeping the boot from floating. I've had very expensive, brand name hunting boots leak when brand new! Nice to be able to return them unworn for full refund or exchange.

BTW, I tried waterproofing my ebay Alpinestars with sno seal by heating the boots in an oven and then smearing the stuff all over and in all seams. The Sno-seal didn't work, as I found out recently on a heavy rain ride. Back to the drawing board....

I have six years and about 80,000 miles on my Oxtar (now TCX) boots, and still no leaks. You definitely get your money's worth with them!

I know I'm slow to this party, but I wanted to commint on the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex and the Sidi On-Road Gore-Tex. I was in the same place you are, time to upgrade my touring boots. I was bit by the Adventure Touring bug and looking at GS type bikes and thinking the Sidi Adventures would be a good fit. My local BMW dealer had my size in stock, my impression... to tall, to stiff, to heavy, and way to much bulk. Within a few days I ran across a pair of Sidi on roads at my local Cycle Gear outlet, on sale for a great price. I have about ,000 miles on my new boots, and love 'em.

I know I'm slow to this party, but I wanted to commint on the Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex and the Sidi On-Road Gore-Tex. I was in the same place you are, time to upgrade my touring boots. I was bit by the Adventure Touring bug and looking at GS type bikes and thinking the Sidi Adventures would be a good fit. My local BMW dealer had my size in stock, my impression... to tall, to stiff, to heavy, and way to much bulk. Within a few days I ran across a pair of Sidi on roads at my local Cycle Gear outlet, on sale for a great price. I have about ,000 miles on my new boots, and love 'em.
Deacon - Thanks! That kinda confirms my dilemma between the two - I love the look of the Sidi Adventures but they look big and a bit bulky, great looking boot but probably a bit much for the FJR. I'm fairly committed to getting the Sidi On Roads shortly. Appreciate your input . . . it's big help in confirming my choice

I had (actually, still have) Sidi On-Roads that I wore for probably 5 or 6 seasons. Rode several times in massive, hours-long downpours, and they never leaked a drop. Stood in a 4-inch deep mud puddle at RoadAmerica one year, just to verify, and my tootsies were dry.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a pair of Daytona Evo Sports (I wanted better protection), and after around 50,000 miles, they're still 100% waterproof. Expensive boots, but high-quality craftsmanship.

Love them both. The Sidi On-Roads are more comfortable, and a lot easier to walk around in. The Daytonas are a literal pain to walk around in, but I like the protection they offer.