Gotta Love Pellet Stoves!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a Craigslist deal locally for a used beefy 38,000 BTU pellet stove last weekend locally for $500. I offered $400 and they took it...so watching two guys try and hoist around a seemingly 350+ pound monster would probably be described as involving a monkey and a football. Pulling out a full hopper of pellets and a few of the loose items we maybe shaved 50 pounds off that and wrestled it into a truck.

When I finally got it home it didn't just magically fire up...even after I half-ass installed it. Found out the intake/exhaust fan wasn't turning....so some clean up of the impeller with some solvent....a bit of screwdriver action to clear away some gook this 80's piece of analog retro art seems much happier. Good draw, started nicely, and as I crank it up another notch after 20 minutes ago the garage is starting to warm up nicely.

And I'm not even woozy. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. I put a cork on the end of my screwdriver.

Sincerely,

Ruprect

Sweet. I had a friend in the PNW that had one and was always raving about how good it was. I'd get one but my garage would be better suited by an air conditioner most of the year.

Shop-vacs and pellet stoves are inseparable. Keeping the hopper free of sawdust and the pot scraped clean is recommended. Mine came with a putty knife for cleaning the pot.

I almost bought one of those, at a deep discount. Almost free.

Have you seen the cost of the machine that makes the pellets? A pellet maker suitable for small batches of bunny rabbit pellets run about $17,000. bucks. The several tons per hour machines run to around a quarter of a million bucks and higher. Not to mention the price of diesel to grind up the wood, and the steam or electric to run the pellet machine.

Thus ended my dreams of converting hardwood scrap to free fuel for life. At that, the capital cost was too large for me to even start up a pellet business. It's cheaper to farm and process corn than to make the wood pellets.

Total Bummer.

Pellet Stove Feed stock comparison

Mine came with a putty knife for cleaning the pot.
Funny, I always used the album jacket to Dark Side of the Moon.
BWAAAAAHHH!!!! :yahoo:
I have an 80's vintage one of these that I bought when we had the house built in 86/87.

I've torched MANY cords of wood in it and haven't burned one drop of oil for heat this winter other than testing the oil burner after cleaning it out in the fall.

https://www.woodboilers.com/

I saw one of these Canadian boilers at a motorcycle show in Carlisle PA of all places. I'd go this way if I had to do it again, no crap inside the house.

https://www.wooddoctorfurnace.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoebox lid and military ID. :jester:

Oops. Wrong smiley. I mean :lol:
Frisbee and a playing card
smoking-cannabis-034.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.