GPS Mounting Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+ 843 on the stem mount, leave the bar mounts for the little stuff. Not to mention it puts the GPS in line with your normal line of sight.
+1 and make sure you retorque the stem nut. It takes mucho ft lbs or head bearing will rattle. How do I know? Dam that rattle is annoying. Took the dealer with a torque wrench to get the thing tight enough.
I had to use an impact gun to get the stem nut off. Anyone have the correct torque specs for replacing the nut? (Other than #1 on the gun) :blink:
Ahhhhhhhhh.........young grasshopper. Seek and you shall find................Clicky HERE for the path to enlightenment

For reasons I won't elaborate, I decided to try the ram ball/stem mount approach first. I haven't been able to find anyone who makes a ram ball stem mount for the 03 and the OEM stem nut isn't thick enough to drill and tap. I tried to order just the stem nut from techmount, thinking I could drill and tap the hole to fit a RAM ball, but they haven't responded to my emails. I finally decided to try this simple solution from Cyclegadgets.com, shown on a beemer though they say it will fit the FJR.

EDIT: Change o' plans. Techmount will custom make a stem nut to fit the RAM ball. I went that way instead. See messages 27-29 for info.

attached to beemer

I'll let ya'll know...

IMGP3062.jpg

Borrowed from turbo dave
As nice as dave's shelf is, I'm more interested in how he attached those saddle bags and top case to the front wheel. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the opinions and pics. I think I will try a stem mount setup as I have a Kenwood radio mounted via a Ram mount on the left unused mirror hole. I will post pics of the final layout with the Zumo once installed.

Strange thing about this post. I have been watching my email for replies on this post but have not gotten any. Maybe a question for the admins. Hopefully this reply will resubscribe me to the topic I started.

Allen

I think I will try a stem mount setup as I have a Kenwood radio mounted via a Ram mount on the left unused mirror hole.

That's the option I went with as well. Just mounted it all up last night. I'll be doing a test-run with it this weekend and will let you know.

I just recently got a Zumo 550 and mounted it on the stem nut and love it. Cheap option too. It's exactly the right location for me; just below the instrument panel, but still in your field of vision while wearing a full-face helmet. I'm using it with a set of the Etymotic er6i earbuds for music and directions. So far no complaints, other than lack of MP3 playlist functionality in the unit.

Pic Here

Doit's position is for me. 1' Ram ball to the techmount stem nut.

Wrote to techmount, they promptly replied:

Thank you, for your interest in our products.

We can make you a custom FJR 1300 Stem Nut. We've had a few customers with RAM products that wish to use our replacement stem nut with there RAM mount system.

Just give Dave a call at our office and he will get all of your shipping and billing info. RAM balls are available with 1/4" or 3/8" threads. Just let us know which one you are planning to use.

Mike Lee

Product Design and Development

High Gear Specialties,Inc.

www.techmounts.com

[email protected]

toll-free 1 866-341-4192

Doit's position is for me. 1' Ram ball to the techmount stem nut.
Wrote to techmount, they promptly replied:

Thank you, for your interest in our products.

We can make you a custom FJR 1300 Stem Nut. We've had a few customers with RAM products that wish to use our replacement stem nut with there RAM mount system.

Just give Dave a call at our office and he will get all of your shipping and billing info. RAM balls are available with 1/4" or 3/8" threads. Just let us know which one you are planning to use.

Mike Lee

Product Design and Development

High Gear Specialties,Inc.

www.techmounts.com

[email protected]

toll-free 1 866-341-4192
Well, dang. They must just hate me. :( Thanks for posting that info, though. Now that I know who to call, I think I'll go with the stem nut RAM ball instead. I like the way it looks.

Well, dang. They must just hate me. :( Thanks for posting that info, though. Now that I know who to call, I think I'll go with the stem nut RAM ball instead. I like the way it looks.

Just got off the phone with them. Techmount loves me after all! They're going to make a custom nut for a 3/8" RAM ball and ship it today. Darn friendly about it, too. Cost of the nut is $32.10 plus shipping.

I also learned something interesting. That difference in the stem nut between '03 (32mm) and other years (36mm) is outer diameter only. Inner thread size is the same. The replacement stem nut that Techmount sends will have the 36mm OD.

Mike at Techmount recommended the 3/8" RAM ball since the threads are cast and 1/4" may be a bit brittle.

Thanks again, longgone.