GPS mounting suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nummy

Reaction score
Hello everyone -

A newbie here with a specific GPS question - hope this is the correct place to post this !

Do you have any suggestions how to mount my TomTom XL 335SE to my Nu Line FJR1300 dash panel?

I would also like to purchase a "Waterproof Motorcycle Mount" for the TomTom XL 335SE from eBay, but I am not sure how, or if, it can be mounted to my Nu Line FJR1300 dash panel. Has anyone out there tried this arangement?

I am not interested in purchasing a new motorcycle-specific GPS - I just want to use my TomTom XL 335SE on my FJR1300.....thought a waterproof motorcycle mount might also be an option just in case I run into rain.

Thanks for your time !

mark

a.k.a. nummy

Nummy, if you meant your "N-Line" dash, N-Line sells a mount. You simply drill a few holes, mount the bracket, then mount the GPS using what ever bracket comes with the Tom-Tom, or a RAM mount bracket.

universal-bracket.jpg

One of the main issues with using a GPS on a bike is to isolate the vibration of the bike from the GPS. Nothing will destroy a GPS quicker (other than a major crash) than the high frequency buzz that most motorcycles (including the FJR) generate. Any kind of rubber pad between the mount and the dash will help as long as long as you have some sort of isolation from the vibration. This is why I have always used a tourtech mount for my Garmin 276c and my GPS has survived on a dirt bike and the FJR for over 6 years now.

I don't know if Tourtech makes a TomTom mount but it should not be hard to find out. Be advised that a Tourtech mount is expensive but then so is my Garmin 276c and my new Zumo 665. The first accessory I got was the Tourtech mount for my 665 Zumo.

Plus one with the tourtech... Right about the not cheap. My 2610 was bought in 2003 and it still works. Did the tourtech make that happen? Don't know.

I couldn't get enough room to mount my 2610 on my N line shelf. I did mount my XM radio on the shelf for a while but the bounce of the shelf was too much for it. I still like my N line shelf though for other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Ram-Bone Mount made by 08FJR4ME <Link> with a RAM cradle for my Garmin nüvi.

If a toolmaker buys an item he could easily make himself, it's a pretty strong endorsement of the product. ;)

+ 1 on the vibration (anti-vibration) issue.

Although not personal experience (nor, FJR related), I've friends who've had GPSs fail with motorcycle use.

One bought a mount guaranteed to work by the manufacturer/seller to use on a 3K mile ride that started about 1K miles from his home -- when he arrived at the start the GPS had already failed from vibration.

Then there are the dual-sport guys I've ridden with who have successful, enduring, GPS use -- but, they mount their GPSs in rubber mounts mounted in rubber...! :eek:

Seems, vibration and high-frequency vibration is the culprit? I've had cameras fail and eye-glass screws fall-out while being carried in the tank-bag.

Hmmmm. I was regretting my decision to use a non-MC GPS -- a Garmin Oregon 450T (designed as a handheld GPS but which has mapping and auto features) which I put in a RAM mount that mounts on a ball which inserts into the HeliBar risers. But, maybe not so much regret now. While I give up some screen size and voice over, it's pretty darn rugged and made for lousy weather. So far, it's gone through about 5000 miles and it's working just fine. So, maybe a good option is to look at the more outdoorsy units.

Just as another point of data, I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 205W that is NOT a motorcycle specific one. Comparing the cost of this one ($150) versus a Zumo ($500+?) it was not hard to try it out. It has worked flawlessly for over a year so far with one exception: when I screwed around with power cords one night, it quit working. Wouldn't start at all. I took it apart and found that there's a metal tab that connects one electronic panel to another and the vibration had left some crude around the contact point. A wipe of a Kleenex and all was good again. Looking at the internals, there is really is nothing that vibration would kill any faster than any other electronic device (not that I've disassembled a Zumo!). So I think you'd be just fine. And it the worst happens, you're only out $150 or less.

The whole vibration killing a GPS is pretty laughable. I have 40K miles on a Suzuki C90 (1500 cc v-twin) using first a Nuvi 660 and later a 765T. Both are still working great, and the 660 actually fell out of the cradle and skidded along the road about 100 feet. Compared to vibration levels on the FJR, the cruiser literally rocks. Still, this mount is a pretty elegant solution.

The Nuvi 765T does everything the Zumo does, and more for about $200. Put it in a RAM Aquabox, and its even waterproof. Took it on a Coast to coast 7000 mile trip last summer, plotted the route and used it with the bluetooth headset, phone and GPS. I think it will like its new home on the FJR

You're gonna laugh your ass off but I ran all last summer with a Garmin 205WT with it's standard suction cup mounted on the left inside of the windshield. It's gotta be over by the clutch fluid resevoir where the windshield is flatter but it stayed on without fail. My buddies laughed until oddly enough I kept getting voted lead bike.

Til I get the bucks for a real mount!

I'm chea.... frugal. I stuck velcro to the back of my Nuvi 260 and stuck it to the Touratech stem mount mini.

It's been in use for a couple of years on the longer rides, and is still working. It's been in a lot of rain in a baggie, and stuck to a plate on the Wolfmann tank bag on a V Strom. Figure I got my money's worth on a low end GPS. It seems fairly tough, although I haven't bounced it down some really rough stuff.

I use a Ram ball directly on the shelf attached to a Touratech mount specific to the GPS model being used. The Tourtech mount offers excellent vibration dampening.

•  
  • RAM ball mounts
  • Touratech plastic mount specific to your GPS
  • Ziploc bag
  • Velcro

Solid, helps reduce vibration, allows for adjust-ability to ensure optimal viewing under all light conditions AND when you stick the baggie over the GPS, water resistance on the cheap! Do I need to explain the velcro is used to close the bottom of the bag around the GPS? Didn't think so...

EVERY tip in this post came to me from members of this forum, so time to pass them on to a new member. :) I used the baggie-over GPS trick for a year of PNW riding - worked every time.