GPS Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benneyb

Reaction score
Just curious what you guys with GPS experience have to say:

I'm thinking about getting a GPS unit, but some of the screen and demo shots I have seen of the Garmin and Magellan units look a bit "cartoonish", for lack of a better word. I also can't find much about the various zoom levels offered in the various models.

I am interested in the 3D as well as 2D view, but would like a more detailed and "businesslike" presentation, I guess you could say. The few pictures I've seen of the Lowrance units seem like a fit.

I have an Infinity G35 Coupe with Nav system, which I think is terrific, in both presentation and view, if this is any help.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

I can't say I've ever seen any REAL GPS screen that looked like a cartoon to me - but I've only looked at units that are waterproof, and known to function well in a motorcycle environment (Other than top drawer aircraft units). I'm very happy with the color display on my Garmin 276C, but then I'm the kind of guy interested in getting information, not foo foo aesthetics.

Why don't you visit a GPS shop? Just look one up on your G35's unit, nav there, and hang out looking over their units. Cool Saturday road trip.

Best wishes.

I have an Infinity G35 Coupe with Nav system, which I think is terrific, in both presentation and view, if this is any help.
Your Infinity G35 comes with a Xanavi unit from Japan, currently, they don't have a portable GPS system available in the U.S.

They use the NavTeq mapping software compile by Zenrin that shows the bird view format with some landmark icons.

You can view this install version product on my website at My Webpage

The unit is o.k but not as easy to use as most of the after market unit and the map software is not nearly as fresh. :eek:

There is lots of choices, visit one of your local GPS stores and test drive some of them and ask lots of questions, I am sure you will find one that you will enjoy and fit your needs.

Currently, Garmin is number one in sales, Magellan is number two and TomTom is coming up fast in the number three position. Lowrance, Navman, Cobra, CMap all together does not sell as much as one of the top three.

Just FYI, the display image is not what you should be concern with as much as the freshness of the map software and the ease of use of the system.

And if you are going to buy one and use it on your FJR, don't buy anything with a hard drive and make sure it is water resistant.

The Garmin 26xx and 27xx along with the 276c and 376c is water proof, along with the Lowrance iWay 500c and 350c, the TomTom Rider is also design for the motorcycle with Bluetooth traffic and weather capabilities. ;)

I hope this information helps

04FJR4ME

Last edited by a moderator:
>04FJR4ME

>The Garmin 26xx and 27xx along with the 276c and 376c is water proof, >along with the Lowrance iWay 500c and 350c, the TomTom Rider is also >design for the motorcycle with Bluetooth traffic and weather capabilities.

The Quest and Quest II is also waterproof, uses flash memory and is used by a lot of mc riders. Any particular reason why you didn't mention them?? I'm looking for a GPS that is battery powered, small, and can be used on a mc, in a car or truck and for hiking--the Quest II appears to come the closest to meeting those needs. Just curious what your opinion is of those units.

Thanks.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

Lee,

I had about the same requirements and got a 276C. battery power, best screen around, great software, I use it for travelling, FJR, and a little hiking. it's a bit big for hiking but so far so good..

Jeff

Garmin 276c for nearly a year and have never needed anything else, put in a 256mb memory card and drove from Pensacola FL all the way to Laguna Seca through the mountains and back without having to reload any maps.

6700 miles and it never missed a beat, plus I transfer it to my boat when I go spearfishing, and also use it as a hand held (17 hours battery life) when I go Geo caching.

My buddies on the trip had 2610's and a 2620, and all 3 preffered the screen resolution and buttons on the 276c to thiers.

I do have a 2610 in the car, as it is easy to use the touch screen and remote without gloves, however, damn near impossible with gloves on the bike while it's moving.

Skippy

Thanks guys, great info. I'll see if I can find a local store with GPS. Have a funny feeling it may only be Circuit City, with their 19 yr. old pimply faced sales droids. ;)

Lee

The Quest and Quest2 have it's place, but in my mind, it is to small for a motorcycle.

I am sure is fine for some, but you have to really look at one to get the idea of how you would work this thing with gloves on and read it going 60 plus.

It's great if you are walking, but in a car or on a bike, I just don't think this is the right unit.

But again, that's my opinion.

Stop by the store and look at one for yourself, I am sure you can make the decision after you seen them all side by side.

Good luck

Latest posts