Automotive gps and Sena 20s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When automotive GPS units say that they are "Bluetooth" what they mean is that you an use them to control a phone (make calls etc). As far as I know the ONLY Garmin units that broadcast directions by Bluetooth are the Zumo motorcycle specific ones.

I use an SMH10 paired with my iPhone for calls/music and my Garmin 665 for directions. The Garmin and Phone are not paired. I voice control the phone from the Sena.

When automotive GPS units say that they are "Bluetooth" what they mean is that you an use them to control a phone (make calls etc). As far as I know the ONLY Garmin units that broadcast directions by Bluetooth are the Zumo motorcycle specific ones.
The exceptions are shown in my prior post above. They are

The 3 nuvis on that list were bsolete at one time, but now show as available on Garmin's web site. I wonder if they are bringing them back? Albeit at much higher prices now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how the automotive GPS works after a few hundred miles of serious vibrations. I'm curious; honestly.
How about 100,000 miles plus of "serious vibrations", including Gawd-knows how many miles of National Forest dirt roads? I'm still using the Garmin nuvi 780 I purchased about a decade ago from walmart.com for $180. It has always resided on my front brake reservoir and has yet to have even a minor glitch other than needing a new battery 2 yrs ago- even non-technogeeky people like me can replace that
rolleyes.gif
. That's just miles on the bike, I have no idea how many more miles over the last 10 yrs it's been in use in my pickup trucks, dirt roads inclusive there too!

In my humble experience vibration concerns are unfounded. You should be flogged for spreading terrible rumours.

I use a Sena SR10 with my Garmin (Zumo 660) and my V1 radar detector, paired to my 20S. The combination works flawlessly. The SR10 has two audio input ports and communicates to the headset over HFP and will overlay sound on the intercom or A2DP channel. If I am talking on the intercom or listening to music and the radar detector goes off or the Garmin gives directions, I hear them.

I found pairing the 660 via BT to the 20S hit and miss before just plugging it in to the SR10. I would recommend just plugging your automotive GPS into an SR10.

I'm using the SM10 with my zumo 550 and SMH10-11 headsets. The SM-10 is the dual 3.5mm TRS input, dual A2DP output, Bluetooth hub from Sena.

I chose that so I could wire the stereo audio out of the zumo 550 and listen to MP3 tunes and GPS turn by turn direction from the zumo, and also the Radar Detector that I have as the second wired input, all seamlessly with no Bluetooth switching delays.

I also have my iPhone paired to the zumo, and the zumo paired directly to the SMH10 headset for tjust he phone functions via mono headset profile(the old zumo allowed that) but that function doesn't seem to work reliably. Not a big deal. I can see who called and call them back if it's important.

Amazing that after this much time they still don't have this stuff worked out fully.