GPS Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hello All:

Thinking of replacing my two Garmin Zumo 550's with something newer. These are from 2007 / 2008 and getting a little long in the tooth. I do use the traffic and weather features, therefore I'd like to retain those functions. I have Lifetime Maps so they are up to date. I am partial to Garmin so staying with that, so here are my questions:

1. If you have done a similar swap, please comment on which unit you went with and why.

2. Is the change really that much of a change and worth it? NexRad better than cartoon weather.

3. Would I be better off just using my iPhone with Google Maps and streaming XM as I have the online account?

4. Currently, the Zumo is run through my J&M 2003.

Again, thoughts on this since not a cheap. Wondering the GPS is the best option given the capabilities of our phones and such now.

I have the Zumo 350, which was the first release of their new gen GPS line.

I've had a really good experience with it: it never failed, pairs reliably with my Sena intercom and provides regular map updates. The motorcycle attachment also provides an easy and secure mount.

One downside is that even if the screen has a matte finish, it still shows reflections of my jacket. No problem whatsoever when I wear my black jacket, but really reduces the contrast when I wear my light beige summer mesh jacket.

I never used the 550, so I can't comment.

Regarding phone-based software, I do not know any one that provides decent planning capacity. To me, 90% of the fun is how I get there, so I like to carefully plan my route and cell phone Software just don't cut it. I own one on my iPhone that allows to modify the suggested routes (CoPilot Live), but I find it I end up fighting with it to force it out of the recommended route.

I tried using my cellphone while I was waiting for my Garmin, but found it was barely readable in sunlight, and was not usable with my gloves. There are options to make it waterproof, butI find it doesn't match the dedicated units.

Cellphones are an option if the cost of dedicated motorcycle GPS makes them out of reach, but they will come with considerable trade off.

...Ben...

I believe the Lifetime Maps travel with the GPS not the subscriber so if having the current LIfetime Maps is a factor you might want to verify whether or not they transfer to a new device. I have a Nuvi and the ability to pre-plan a route, a difficult as it can be, witha GPS makes it much better than the several cell phone mapping apps I have looked at. I use a Samsung Galaxy S$, others in my familty are Apple users but we all agree that the GPS mapping is far better than that offered on the phones or tables. Streets & Trips had some good features an\d was fairly easy to learn but is gone.

I believe the Lifetime Maps travel with the GPS not the subscriber so if having the current LIfetime Maps is a factor you might want to verify whether or not they transfer to a new device. I have a Nuvi and the ability to pre-plan a route, a difficult as it can be, witha GPS makes it much better than the several cell phone mapping apps I have looked at. I use a Samsung Galaxy S$, others in my familty are Apple users but we all agree that the GPS mapping is far better than that offered on the phones or tables. Streets & Trips had some good features an\d was fairly easy to learn but is gone.
Lifetime maps are assigned to the device, but I don't think they transfer to a new owner when you sell a GPS.

This is Garmin's response to my query regarding LM and a 665 that came with my "new to me" Gold Wing:

Dear Roy Epperson,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to assist.

To properly answer this question, it would be most beneficial to have the serial number of the device in question. If that is not available, the Lifetime Map transfer-ability would be as such:

If the model is a zumo 665LM, the Lifetime Maps are assigned to the device and would transfer with the unit.

If the model is a zumo 665 (no LM indicated) that had Lifetime Maps added with a separate purchase, they may still be accessed if the device is sold or given away as long as the device has not been registered. If the device has been registered to a myGarmin account and lifetime updates were purchased separately, removing the device from the account will also remove the lifetime subscription.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

With Best Regards,

Lori

Customer Care - Map Update Team

Thanks for all your replies. I only mentioned Lifetime maps for reference meaning they are up to date. Garmin has transferred the LM to new devices when I have done refurb exchanges, however when purchasing a new unit it would not be transferred. Really just trying to decide which new GPS to go with since I like my Zumo 550 but want something newer. Will probably keep them in my car and use the new ones on the bikes.

Thanks again,

Based on input from this forum and ADVRider, I decided that the discussion about iPhone vs. dedicated GPS isn't really an either/or decision for me. I can have both. I just ordered a Garmin Montana and cradles. I'm using the iPhone for audio, Spotify music and Google Maps & CoPilot & SWConnect. I'm using the Montana too. It lets me use Google Maps when I want to, like for around town and still have the Montana for trips and when out of cell range. I don't need spoken turn by turn. Actually, for trips, I usually just need a list of turns and distances like you'd have for a rally. The Montana will provide maps as needed and CoPilot provides a really nice list of turns on the current route. Best of both for me. Meanwhile, music is streaming from Spotify. For trips, I make my playlists as Offline so I still have music when out of cell range. I'm thinking this combo will provide the best of everything. We'll see on my trips this year. Oh, the Montana will also be used for backpacking.