Great deal on Shoei

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenporider

Reaction score
Stopped at the (somewhat) local CycleGear to replace my KBC Force RR that I dropped and broke the piece that holds the shield on. The padding was getting old anyway. I'm pretty cheap and the KBC was my most expensive helmet to date, never could justify spending $400-$500 on a helmet.

So I'm looking at the cheapo's when I see a Shoei Breakthrough for $269 from $479!!! Needless to say I finally have myself a respectable helmet and what a difference! Much better pading that won't wear as quickly, great airflow, HUGE difference in buffeting...my head is now happy!!! :yahoo:

I checked and this deal is also available online.

I picked up a RF1000 on markdown also earlier this year but opted for the solid color. I'll agree, with how comfortable they are right out of the box. No break in to get it to fit properly. I replaced a HJC. I also never thought I'd own a Shoei but am happy I do now.

Good find! Congrats. I have wearing the Cycle gear brand 707 helmet for a year or so now. Not a Shoei or Arai, but at $50 on sale at Christmas I have found it to be a decent helmet for a cheap bastage like me.

Great deals guys. Now here is my bad deal but good deal for someone else.

I bought a size small Shark helmet for my wife for $530.96 and she didn't like it after wearing it twice. So I then bought her an Arai which she likes.

Now I have this Shark RSR2 Fujiwara Black/Red that we must sell for half price/OBO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also just recently broke down and drank the Shoei kool-aid.

I got a new RF1000 in solid anthracite color for $220 shipped on closeout. It was too good of a deal to pass on. The Shoei is a perfect fit (knew it would be since I tried some on at the LBS), nice and snug on the dome, and the aeros are superior, causing dirty air to buffet the helmet less than most of the others I've owned.

The bad news? It is noisy as hell. My KBC VR1's that I've been riding with for the past couple of years are much quieter (recognizable even with ear plugs in) and of about equal comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of alternatives if the RF fits...

I've almost always had Shoei RF series helmets, but my passenger helmet was getting really old. After trying on all sorts of helmets, I was surprised that the fit of the Scorpion 400 is virtually identical to the RF-1000 and Arai Corsair for a lot less money, which is what I wanted for a passenger helmet. WbW review

The Shark S900 is nearly the same, ever so slightly larger, and a bit more plush than the Scorpion. WbW review

Another place for great helmet prices: WbW Store

Good deal on the Shoei. While visiting a new motorcycle shop in Irvine California today I found two killer deals:

1. A new Arai RX-7 large (normally $600.00) in blue for $199.99 (plus tax).

2. A new Alpinestar Stunt large full leather jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows for $130.00 out the door.

I have been looking for a good full leather armored jacket for several months, and just recently got a Jones for a new Arai. They have more leather jackets for this same price. Anyone interested PM and I will give you the dealer name.

Sportbiketrackgear.com has some great closeout deals on high-end helmets. I picked up a Shoei X-11 for $370. It arrived yesterday and I went out on the bike for an hour with it. Man, it's a beautiful piece of work! Replaces my HJC FS-15 which was driving me nuts with fitment issues and a leaky visor.

I got a new RF1000 in solid anthracite color for $220 shipped on closeout. It was too good of a deal to pass on. The Shoei is a perfect fit (knew it would be since I tried some on at the LBS), nice and snug on the dome, and the aeros are superior, causing dirty air to buffet the helmet less than most of the others I've owned.

The bad news? It is noisy as hell. My KBC VR1's that I've been riding with for the past couple of years are <i>much </i>quieter (recognizable even with ear plugs in) and of about equal comfort.
There is a good reason that Shoei RF1000 and X-Eleven helmets are going so cheap--they don't meet the new EC2010 standards that came out last year. The EPS material is too hard (search for the article "Blowing the Lid Off" in Motorcyclists magazine for more info). The new RF1100 and X-Twelve meet the new standards and are safer in a crash.

A quality helmet that fits comfortably is more important than having a M2005 or M2010 Snell approved models. (Unless you are in Europe and need to meet the EC2010 standard)The

The Motorcyclist magazine article "Blowing the Lid Off" was controversial at best. Seems the new standard only really improves the safety of Small and Extra Small size helmets, and the improvement is marginal at best anyway.

If the old lids are on sale and you are not a X-Small I say go for it!!!

I’m not rushing out to replace my 2005 Snell approved helmet just for the new 2010 standard...

The bad news? It is noisy as hell. My KBC VR1's that I've been riding with for the past couple of years are <i>much </i>quieter (recognizable even with ear plugs in) and of about equal comfort.
Hey Fred it is funny you mention the noise level. I have a RF1000 and TZR and both are kinda noisey on the FJR. I just recently tried a HJC Symax (old model) because it was cheap and I wanted to see if I would like the modular helmet before I bought the Multitec. Well the first thing I noticed about the HJC was how quiet it was compared to my Shoei helmets. So then I was offered a great deal on the Multitec and it is even quietier the the HJC was and modular helmets are suppose to be noisier than the full face go figure.

Eric