Grip Puppies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makuna

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I tried several techniques to install them, including the soapy water and none made it easy. I ended up slowly working them on taking close to 15 minutes each of strenous stroking (snicker all you want, the method worked). After 20 minutes of trying different things and 5 minutes into the only technique that made any progress past 1/4' (5mm or so for those north of me)/ I almost gave up. But I kept at it and I am glad I did. Love them.

15 minutes each of strenous stroking (snicker all you want, the method worked).
Paging Bustanut Joker to the white courtesy phone................................... :rolleyes:

Glad to hear things worked out.......................or ON I should say.

Last edited by a moderator:
An air hose is your friend when installing puppies.

Mac

I bought a set of wraps that were functionally the same, but oh, so simple. It was a rectangula piece of spongy foam with a fabric backing and a strip of the part of velcro that adheres to it. So you put the velcro strip along one edge of the foam rubber part, which you wrap around the grip, and the other edge sticks back down on the velcro. There's a seam showing, but I've been using mine for over two years and they never came loose.

As a bonus, I have heated grips. First cold day I turned them on, I thought "hell, my grips aren't getting hot. Bummer." Took a minute for the revelation: My grips were being insulated from my hand by the foam rubber. Duh. So I pulled the covers off: nice warm grips. Easy on. Easy off. (How would your Grip Puppies handle that?)

Sorry I don't have a link; no idea where I got them now, but I just googled "motorcycle grip covers" and there were a bunch, some might be the same (don't be fooled by the leather tasseled ones--those aren't the same ;) )

I had no problems with the soapy water technique. Guess it's all in the way you twist, and stroke it.

I had no problems with the soapy water technique. Guess it's all in the way you twist, and stroke it.
Yeah, maybe not enough lubrication. I tried blowing them on, but I just couldn't grip the soaping tubes and keep the air blowing at the same time. They just keep floppy loose out of my grip and shooting foam all over the place. :rolleyes:

I will have to check on the grip heaters and how they are effected by them.

As a bonus, I have heated grips. First cold day I turned them on, I thought "hell, my grips aren't getting hot. Bummer." Took a minute for the revelation: (How would your Grip Puppies handle that?)
I have grip puppies over the Honda heated grips and it works just fine and dandy.

And yeah, the air compressor is the only way to go.

As a bonus, I have heated grips. First cold day I turned them on, I thought "hell, my grips aren't getting hot. Bummer." Took a minute for the revelation: (How would your Grip Puppies handle that?)
I have grip puppies over the Honda heated grips and it works just fine and dandy.

And yeah, the air compressor is the only way to go.
+1

I do need to crank the heat a little more, but still get as much heat as needed through the grip puppies (temps into the 20's).

And they went on in seconds using my air compressor and NO soap.

I used hairspray to put them on my heated Honda grips. Just wet thoroughly (until the hairspray runs out), slide on and let set 15 minutes for the hairspray to dry. Acts like a like coating of blue loctite on a thread. Holds them steady; but easy to take off when you want to.

I just use liquid soap on the mouth of the Grip Puppies and slip them straight on, be careful not to use toooo much. Let them sit for a while before you go riding for the soap to dry out.

Ifn you use tooo much then when it rains and they get wet they just slip.

A light coat and apply it down the tube as far as your finger can reach and just slide on. Easy :yahoo:

They were a bitch to install, almost gave up. soap, lots of patience, careful use of a screwdriver (not advised) and 30 mins later I have GP's.

Wouldn't want to go through that again.

I just put a pair on my FZ1. Not Grip Puppies but "Grab On" grip covers. The same thing it looks like.

It was easy with just compressed air and a little bit of stretching and pulling. It took about 10 minutes.