Group ride radio communication equipment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides, with all the talk of safe riding around here, you wouldn't exceed the 55mph speed limit, eh Mr. SkeeWee? Even the Hardley can run at 55... ;)
You are correct, I never exceed 55mph over any posted speed limit. :dribble: :lol:

There is a way to re-program the Kenwood TK-3101 for different frequencies. If a list could be compiled of the various frequencies of different com systems, I could setup your radio to have a single channel dedicated for each system.
I knew there was a reason this thing is the shit.
The addition of comm between myself and Scab, would have prevented him from going down.
So it's almost negligent not to have comm equipment.
I agree. I've been using a Collett Communicator https://www.collettcommunicators.com/ for about 5 years, as they say, works great, lasts long time. They are 900 Mhz so no CB interface is available although the "International Channel" is included in all Colletts so they are all compatible. In the 5 years my riding buddy and I have been using them have only heard other Collett users a few times so they are not that many in number to be a problem. Great unit for the price, but are STILL not stereo for music input. The VOX works well up to triple digits and you can keep your eyes on the road and hands on the bars. My .02 worth.
+1 on the Collett. I've used them year round (bike and sleds) for the last 4 years and they hold up great. The standard channel (they have two) is what they call 100. There are 9 of us using them in our group and for hands free vox they can't be beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I have:
TK-3101s.jpg

Details

It interfaces very well with Starcom or Autocom setups. Haven't been able to test it out with another bike yet but it came highly recommended. We use similar setups at work and they are very capable.

Maybe we can get something going so regional gatherings will have a few riders with com ability. That will make it much easier to communicate front to back and vice versa, allowing leaders and sweepers to better manage the herd (stops, delays, reroutes, etc...)

Does anybody know of a CB radio that will work with intercom setups, other than the J & M?
You picked a good radio TC.

I also have the TK-3101 hooked up via an AutoCom unit. I use it when my S.O. is in the chase car ( she doesn't ride) and its worked very well. :argue: I have yet to use it bike-to-bike as none of the other riders I've hooked up with use them. I think it would be advantagous to have a comm system on group rides for sure! :clapping:

I also have the TK-3101 hooked up via an AutoCom unit. I use it when my S.O. is in the chase car ( she doesn't ride) and its worked very well.
So you have two? If so, maybe add the cables and you could move the second one to any bike that has an Autocom, such as on group rides.
If anybody wants to post or PM me the frequencies and makes of your radios, I'll compile the list and add it to my first post in this thread.

Toe: I have the Kenwood TK-3101.

The TK-3101 has 14 channels ( 462.5500 Mhz up to 462.7250 Mhz in .0125 Mhz increments ) and 1 Emergency channel ( 462.6750 ) each channel can be set to any of 38 subchannels

I don't know if Chatterbox and / or Collett crosses over on any of these frequencies, It would be nice if there was a common frequency between the different systems.

Ya'll made me go and pull out my manual! Shame on you!

Chatterbox has the same frequency range; 462.550 MHz - 462.725 MHz.

It is however, listed as 15 channel capacity although I believe that's because they include channel-10 (emergency channel) in the listing.

Chatterbox also has 38 sub-channels for each primary channel.

This is exactly what I discovered at EOM. Most people who have Kenwood radios don't realize that they are indeed GMRS and have exactly the same channel/frequency selections as other brands. As the conversations developed over the weekend, more and more people discovered they could talk with other riders. The trick is to get everyone to agree on a channel BEFORE the ride. :)

What I later discovered at home is that all the GMRS walkie-talkie sets are also the same frequency. So the $50 elcheapo AudioVox units I bought for my kids work great for a chase vehicle or one of my Harley neighbors wearing a brain-bucket or trailering his queen.

:headbonk: :haha:

So you have two? If so, maybe add the cables and you could move the second one to any bike that has an Autocom, such as on group rides.Definately doable! and I'd be happy to hook up my spare radio to another riders AutoCom. They would need to have their helmet wired but otherwise a piece of cake! ;)

Rob

To conform with NorCalSpecs, I have purchased a Kenwood TK-3101 radio. Now I have to buy the starcom cable from Jeff at SportBikeEffects.com :)

I bought the radio used on eBay for $68.80 and that seems a pretty decent price.

EDIT:

I went online and bought the cable too. I should be good to go as soon as the radio comes in :)

The day after I ordered the cable from Bike Effects, I spoke with Jeff. He reminded me that to make this work I would benefit from a PTT switch (Push to talk) and a power cable so that I don't have to rely on the radio battery. Thanks for hooking me up Jeff :)

He reminded me that to make this work I would benefit from a PTT switch (Push to talk)
Wondering how this works hooking into the autocom. I know it has an input that is vacant specially for this. It seems you would have to have the vox set perfectly or a must have PTT switch or you would be interfering the frequency with any un-wanted comments from passenger to passenger to group. That could be funny. "...Hey hun, can't wait to get to the room. Ah, Oh, pushed the PTT by mistake." :eek: :lol:

Actually works really well, Both Rider and Passenger can hear the incoming radio and both can talk on the radio when the PTT is active.

The PTT control has a 3 way switch below the button that can be set for PTT operation, Vox operation, or On all the time.

So, Yes you could be broadcasting some interesting tidbits, if the switch is set to Vox or On all the time.

Wondering how this works hooking into the autocom. I know it has an input that is vacant specially for this. It seems you would have to have the vox set perfectly or a must have PTT switch or you would be interfering the frequency with any un-wanted comments from passenger to passenger to group. That could be funny. "...Hey hun, can't wait to get to the room. Ah, Oh, pushed the PTT by mistake." :eek: :lol:
Without the PTT switch, all chatter between rider/pillion is broadcast over the radio. Fine if you're alone, but not so good when two up. Call Keith Goudelock (pr. Godlock) at Tulsa Truck Center 918.446.2245 for all things Autocom, questions and discount supplies.

I just bought a Autocom Super Pro-AVI from Keith in Tulsa. I am hoping to get it today. I haven't bought a radio yet. But will most likely buy the Kenwood TK 3101 also. I hope several guys in my area will also buy, and make at easyer to keep track of everyone. Smitty

He reminded me that to make this work I would benefit from a PTT switch (Push to talk)
A lot of people like the PTT switch as it is preceived to be (and probably is) easier to set up and more precise than the vox.

I however, do not use the PTT switch and actually prefer the vox for hands free operation. It is a little tricky getting it set up at first but once setup, it works very well. I've had people comment they could not tell I was on my bike when they called me.

Regardless of the type of voice activation you use, once it is transmitted, it is there for everyone on your frequency to hear. I also have my cel phone hooked up to my AutoCom so if the S.O. wants a discrete conversation, or is at home, she dials, otherwise on rides we use the radio. You will find that some radio frequencies are very popular creating some heavy traffic. We have set up several stations/frequencies on the TK3101 with "Quiet Talk Settings" we can switch between for privacy and clear airways. If you have the Kenwood TK3101 instruction manual, look up channel setting instructions.

Rob

I too have the Kenwood TK-3101 GMRS/FRS setup with Autocom and PTT switch...I also have the optional Autocom setup that makes the radio bike powered through the Autocom unit itself so I don't have to worry about the battery dying.

I also have a spare radio for the SO in the chase car but no extra cables. The radio worked well during WFO-5 in receive mode but found I could not transmit. I later learned that I needed to reseat the circuit card inside the Autocom unit. Once I did that it has worked like a champ. :rolleyes:

I had used CB in my car years ago but could not stand all the "chatter" in that band.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding that GMRS/FRS is much quieter but I believe signal quality is much better and with the 2 mile range...I find you can quickly get out of range of co channel interference. You can certainly change channels to try and find a clearer frequency but while riding in a group this could be problematic. Better to just put distance between the group and the interfering station.

I too have the Kenwood TK-3101 GMRS/FRS setup with Autocom and PTT switch...I also have the optional Autocom setup that makes the radio bike powered through the Autocom unit itself so I don't have to worry about the battery dying.
I also have a spare radio for the SO in the chase car but no extra cables. The radio worked well during WFO-5 in receive mode but found I could not transmit. I later learned that I needed to reseat the circuit card inside the Autocom unit. Once I did that it has worked like a champ. :rolleyes:

I had used CB in my car years ago but could not stand all the "chatter" in that band.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding that GMRS/FRS is much quieter but I believe signal quality is much better and with the 2 mile range...I find you can quickly get out of range of co channel interference. You can certainly change channels to try and find a clearer frequency but while riding in a group this could be problematic. Better to just put distance between the group and the interfering station.
I can see now that we'll have to see if the govenment will lend us ACP 121 US Supp 2 and ACP 125 and 131. That way we'll know how to QSY when we run into QRK.

I can see now that we'll have to see if the govenment will lend us ACP 121 US Supp 2 and ACP 125 and 131. That way we'll know how to QSY when we run into QRK.
Huh????????? :dribble: