hand cramp.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem and the master yoda position helps me out. When I start feeling it in my hands that is when I realize my shoulders are rounded forward and arms are supporting my upper body. Don't let your shoulders round forward, pull them back so more weight is positioned over your waist. (Move forward a little if you have to.) I am also learning not to hold on to the grips so tight, once I relax my grip a little that helps as well.

This bike requires a different riding position than most motorcycles out there, once you learn it you'll be fine. After 500 miles I am getting better, far fewer cramps than the first 100, I think once I hit a few thousand I won't be thinking about it much at all.

Good Luck and relaxed riding!!
This x100

Google "master yoda riding position", read everything you can about it, and make sure your riding position is correct. If you still continue to have problems, you might have a medical issue.

I have 2007 fjr ,since March, ....but I can't ride the thing for more then,about an hour, before my right hand goes numb. tried handelbar risers,Crampbuster,did the throttle spring thing,got a throttle lock, even been doing my hand exercises,(spring grip thing) nothing seems to help.So I,am at the end of my rope. Is this a 2007 issue,or a FJR thing? I read Sacromento Mike's yoga riding position, that helped a little but not much, how do you Iron butt guy,s do it?? is the only answer the $1000.00 dollar Aussie McCuise control? How about a ST-1300 have any of you guy's rode them,I would give up the performance ,for longer riding comfort. please give me answers... Larry
Had the same problem with my '06, particularly after buying new gloves that were more slippery, so needed to grip tighter. Posted here, I wound some rubber tape round the grip (cut from an inner tube), this helped significantly because I could relax my grip.

Carried this over to my '10, but as more birthdays passed, I was still having a problem particularly on long motorway runs, so I fitted a cruise control (posted here). I've not had a problem since.

Yesterday I did 3 hours much at a steady 70mph (nominal). Easy. Apart from the hail.

I find the grips too swept back and forces my arms into a praying mantis type position and puts an awkward pressure on my hands/wrists. I tried to adjust the bars, but they only seem to go forward/aft, no turning due to the little set pins. I find myself monkey gripping the bar which then sits quite diagonal across my palm. Firm pressure from my index and middle finger hold the throttle fine, but leaves a lot to be desired for quick brake action.

My wife had a similar problem when she started riding and we solved it.

First, had exercises (yes I am opening myself up for a Bustanut joke here ... !) but seriously, with those hand strengtheners, especially in the off season.

We also switched out the fat cruiser grips for narrow sportbike grips. Both helped a lot.

Finally ... if you're positive this is a bike issue, you could be the first one here (I think) to try these:

https://www.hunterflatbars.com/

My wife had a similar problem when she started riding and we solved it.

First, had exercises (yes I am opening myself up for a Bustanut joke here ... !) but seriously, with those hand strengtheners, especially in the off season.

We also switched out the fat cruiser grips for narrow sportbike grips. Both helped a lot.

Finally ... if you're positive this is a bike issue, you could be the first one here (I think) to try these:

https://www.hunterflatbars.com/

Go Cruise throttle lock. About $20. Get the small diameter one for the fjr. Works good for flat slabbing, or just for a short time to relax your right hand. And can be moved from bike to bike in most cases with similiar diameter grips.

Other possibilities are to take Potassium and/or Magnesium supplements. Also tonic water with quinine and sport drinks might help. Modern chemistry in action.

I find the grips too swept back and forces my arms into a praying mantis type position and puts an awkward pressure on my hands/wrists. I tried to adjust the bars, but they only seem to go forward/aft, no turning due to the little set pins. I find myself monkey gripping the bar which then sits quite diagonal across my palm. Firm pressure from my index and middle finger hold the throttle fine, but leaves a lot to be desired for quick brake action.
I had a similar issue where my thumbs would ache due to the angle of the bars. I made some wedges 5mm thick at the wide part and 1mm thin end. This levelled the bars so my palms lay flat , it cured my thumb ache.

Andy

When I first started riding mine, I had the same problem. My hand would cramp up and go to sleep. After a few hours of steady throttle, my wrist would eventually give out. I solved it by finding a pair of gloves that didnt fit too tight, using a wrist rester on long trips and I do rest curls with a bar bell as part as my work out.

you may have a medical condition like a pinched nerve that is causing your problem. Does it happen on other bikes? It happens to me on any bike I ride, including the FJR. I usually just use a throttle lock so I can let go of the throttle occasionally. I put a throttlemeister on my 2011 last Friday night. So far it isn't work a crap. It worked Saturday, but not Sunday. It worked Monday morning, but not Monday afternoon.
I wanted to add I have my throttlemesiter working properly now. Still not as easy to use as a vista cruise, but looks way better and doesn't take up any grip space.

you may have a medical condition like a pinched nerve that is causing your problem. Does it happen on other bikes? It happens to me on any bike I ride, including the FJR. I usually just use a throttle lock so I can let go of the throttle occasionally. I put a throttlemeister on my 2011 last Friday night. So far it isn't work a crap. It worked Saturday, but not Sunday. It worked Monday morning, but not Monday afternoon.
I wanted to add I have my throttlemesiter working properly now. Still not as easy to use as a vista cruise, but looks way better and doesn't take up any grip space.
Not to mention only TEN TIMES THE PRICE!!!

...and a properly installed Vista Cruise takes up zero grip space. :p

I have been practicing gripping something with my right hand since I was about 8 - it is good and strong now so i have no issues :D

What I did.

MCL risers, relocates the bars up and back also changes the angle.

Throttle spring unwind.

Throttle lock.

Heavey bar ends.

Grip puppies.

Gel palm gloves. :dribble:

I have 2007 fjr ,since March, ....but I can't ride the thing for more then,about an hour, before my right hand goes numb. tried handelbar risers,Crampbuster,did the throttle spring thing,got a throttle lock, even been doing my hand exercises,(spring grip thing) nothing seems to help.So I,am at the end of my rope. Is this a 2007 issue,or a FJR thing? I read Sacromento Mike's yoga riding position, that helped a little but not much, how do you Iron butt guy,s do it?? is the only answer the $1000.00 dollar Aussie McCuise control? How about a ST-1300 have any of you guy's rode them,I would give up the performance ,for longer riding comfort. please give me answers... Larry
As with most of the other guys it is mostly about riding position and comfort with the bike. I had the same issue when starting out on mine. My hands would cramp or fall asleep on longer rides. It was due to my leaning too far forward and not supporting my upper body as well as hangin on for dear life. After I got past that I started longer rides (longest day ride was northern Texas to Southern Idaho) without fatigue, cramps, or numbness.

Sound's like you have carpel tunnel syndrome. Have you checked that?

I bought a VStrom in '07 and couldn't ride 20 miles without my right hand going numb. I tried different gloves, etc. It just never crossed my mind that it might be physical and not something else. I had it fixed in a 10 min. operation and viola! never had another problem

I do use a cramp buster on any ride longer than 30 min. or so but it's not due to numbness.

Get that checked out as it can be very dangerous, I had problems pulling the brake - really dangerous because you don't have that control you need.

Good luck

Sound's like you have carpel tunnel syndrome. Have you checked that?

I bought a VStrom in '07 and couldn't ride 20 miles without my right hand going numb. I tried different gloves, etc. It just never crossed my mind that it might be physical and not something else. I had it fixed in a 10 min. operation and viola! never had another problem

I do use a cramp buster on any ride longer than 30 min. or so but it's not due to numbness.

Get that checked out as it can be very dangerous, I had problems pulling the brake - really dangerous because you don't have that control you need.

Good luck
I've suspected as much about myself for months. I have tingling and eventual numbness driving, holding a book, typing in my phone, etc. I even wake up at night with it.

Got my FJR two weeks ago; went on a long ride (500+) three days ago. The last two days my hands are worse than ever, especially my right. I called yesterday and I have an appointment to see my doc on Monday. Surgery? Fine. I gotta ride.