happy happy happy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walter, is it uncouth to ask wadja pay? All FJRs of all Gens are great bikes. You will like this. Yes, take it easy until you get used to double the power. Garyahouse knows of what he speaks.

Congrats on your new bike. You will see a world of difference between this bike and the cruiser you were lugging around. Now get some good riding gear (if you don't already have some) and enjoy. And welcome.

Well she got named last night on my ride home for first time after work. It was a down pour with some nice flashes of lighting to boot ... and a half shell helmet lol not to mention being on a new bike with 100 extra ponies. She is dark, beautiful blue and brought me home flawlessly, her name is now Stormy. As for price ill say details I'm not ashamed, I got a fair deal not a steal but who can complain about fair deal. I traded in a 04 V Star in good condition needing only gas and soon a front tire. KBB and NADA says trade in 2280 bucks they gave me 2500 for her. FJR KBB and NADA say retail 6300 ish with expected 35k miles + the book dose not cover miles over 5 years old. They sold her to me for 5800 so I paid 3300 cash with trade in and only 4200 miles on clock. I do have a ever so slightly warped rear rotor as there's a ever present sound of the pads lightly touching it as it spins, Ill chuck it up in the lathe at work soon and true em up soon. more of a nuisance as there no pulse in pedal or heat issues so I know its not bad. Also have the 17 mpg issue as was never changed but as long as it dose not affect anything else im not to worried about it. Will latter this year strip her down change CCT and cut and solder all spiders so their dead spiders before a problem exists. I'm an industrial automation technician so I'm handy with my tools . Also trying to hunt down Rotella T6 locally to do oil change very soon. Alas last item to address I admire the spirit of you darksiders but I don't think ill ever be a darksider, Ill stick with da doughnuts.

If that rear rotor is warped, it's possible your rear brake pedal is sticking. Disassemble it starting by removing the right side rider's peg. Clean it and grease it with your favorite waterproof grease. That regular maintenance will prevent problems.

If that rear rotor is warped, it's possible your rear brake pedal is sticking. Disassemble it starting by removing the right side rider's peg. Clean it and grease it with your favorite waterproof grease. That regular maintenance will prevent problems.
+1^ Good idea in any case. And, if it is warped, your new ride came with a cool wall-clock.
smile.png

Wow, you got a great deal on an essentially new bike.

No worries on the 17mpg dash recall...I never had my '06 changed and it got much better mileage than that! Do check the VIN with Yamaha for other recalls and have them done. While spinning the wheel, a slight drag on the rear disc is completely normal. Check it and the brake pedal but I'll bet nothing is wrong.

Enjoy the new scoot!

--G

yep pulled rotor and chucked her up in lathe today definately warped. removed high spots but not perfect and i can feel the vibes if i pay attention to it. ordered new one tonight. also bled breaks and lubed the lever and all pivot points just to make sure. pads look fine i just need to find some rotella t6 and ill be set short term. also had vin ran b4 i bought bike and no tsb's have been done yet so ill be bringing her to the motorbike doctor (dealership) next week for all her shots and records brought up to date.

About 8 months ago I bought my 04 with 4700 miles on it. So I also got a old/new bike. It has run flawlessly since I bought it.

You got a very nice bike and you will enjoy it, congrats!

Keep the rubber side down.

@Walter - re: your brake drag. If the rotor is truly warped it will result in a long throw at the brake pedal. Reason being that the pads will get pushed back in the caliper by the wobbling rotor surface then when you go to use them you have to take out that slack. Any dragging would be oscillatory not constant. If they truly are warped it is most likely that the previous owner rode around with a sticky brake pedal for too long, or was an ex cruiser rider that only used his rear brake so he wouldn't be tossed over the bars.
wink.png

If the drag is more of the constant variety, you may only need to clean the caliper piston(s), or worst case you may need to replace the caliper seals. The seals are supposed to drag on the pistons as they are deployed in use and flex slightly in their grooves. When you release the brake the flexed extended seals relax and slightly retract the pistons back into their bores. When the piston is too dirty or the seal hardens, that retraction doesn't happen.

You can test this out quite easily simply by pulling the caliper off and observing the pistons' action when you slightly depress and release the brake pedal. When you release the pedal you should see the piston slightly retract in its own bore.

Cleaning the caliper's pistons is also quite easy with an old toothbrush, rags and a little brake cleaner. Don't use any other solvents as they may mess up those seals. With the caliper in hand, pump the brake pedal to extend the piston past the dirt line then scrub away. You can grab the pistons interior with some internally expanding pliers or cir-clip pliers (what I use) and twist the pistons in their bores to get to the back sides.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: