Harley Ride report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayW

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Here's the set up....

My friend Chris bought himself a Harley Sportster 883L. He figured that the $100 payments and 60 mpg would be cheaper than the $400 per month that he was spending on gas to get to and from work in his Ranger pick-up. Unfortunately, even though he grew up riding dirt bikes in TX, he never got his motorcycle license for the street. So I was tagged to ride the bike the 30 miles to his house from the dealer.

I was nice and brought an extra helmet so he could take the first ride around the dealership parking lot. ( figured he wouldn't want to wear my stinky, sweaty helmet) So, even though I rode it home for him, he got the first ride.

Now comes the fun part...my review of the 30 mile ride to his house on his new Harley. **

First of all, here's a pic of my friend sitting on the bike when we stopped for some BBQ. (THANKS! for buying, Chris!!)

Harley-1.jpg

The bike seems to fit him a lot better than it fit me.

My first thought upon getting on the bike at the dealer was that old tongue twister. Say it three times fast....toy bike, toy bike, toy bike. Second thought was that I felt really awkward on it at first. I figured out why later. It's a lot further from the pegs to the ground on the FJR than on that Harley. I kept stamping my feet on the ground like I was mad, whenever I came to a stop. It just felt wrong to not have to stretch a bit to reach the ground. ;)

Now....I've got a bone to pick with the so-called bike reviews that complain about vibration on the FJR. They obviously NEVER sat on one of these Harleys! Sitting at an idle I learned to have a greater sympathy for the paint cans at Home Depot. Next time I need paint I'll just borrow Chris' Harley to keep the pigments mixed up on the way home. This thing shook so bad at idle that even the tail-lights on the cars in front of me were blurry, let alone things in the mirrors! I had to clench my teeth to keep them from chattering....and it was about 90 degrees outside!

As for other comfort issues, I accused Chris of buying the optional billet aluminum seat. If you think the FJR seat needs more padding, take a ride on one of these things! I also think he had them weld the shocks into solid pieces so he could have the "Hard Tail" experience. Any bump in the road seemed like it was trying to drive my tailbone up into my skull! By the time I got the bike to his house I felt like I had ridden an hour on a jackhammer!

The Sportster is obviously much lighter than the FJR so it felt easier to lean over. The low ground clearance kept any ideas that this is some kind of canyon carver firmly in the realm of fantasy, however. The peg feelers on this thing are almost 2 inches long!! I'm no Rossi wannabe, and have never scraped pegs on the FJR, but I was scraping the pegs on this thing on the first test lap of the dealership parking lot!!!

My last complaint about this bike is the brakes. I can almost do a stoppie on the FJR using just two fingers. This thing needed a whole handful just to get it slowed down. I will admit it only has one disc brake rotor in front compared to the two on the FJR, but then this is a lot lighter bike too. Every stop reminded me of my dad's old 68 Chrysler 300 but I think with the power brakes it required less effort than the Harley.

oh...one more thing to add. Maybe it was just because it was new but neutral on that transmission was harder to find than a woman's "G" spot!!

It WAS fun getting waves from all the other Harley riders for a change, though. Don't get to see that very often riding the FJR.

All in all, I wasn't impressed much. This is definitely NOT the bike for me. Chris might do great with it though. My one comment to him.....mines bigger! :p

** Disclaimer: I'm 5'9" tall and 280 pounds, so I'm a bit large for this little bitty 883L Sportster. Plus I'm used to riding a 2003 FJR every day to work, so I'm a bit spoiled. And to top it off, I'm enjoying the heck out of giving my friend a BUNCH of s*** about his new Harley. :yahoo:

I even wore my Yamaha t-shirt to the dealership when we picked up the bike!! :assassin:

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
must... resist... urge... to hate... Harleys.

But man they suck!

heh...I just don't get it. There are so much better machines out there for lots less money. I imagine some of the bigger Harleys would be more comfortable for someone my size but I've riden one of those too and wasn't impressed with it either.

Ray

The Sportster is obviously much lighter than the FJR so it felt easier to lean over.
Hmm. The dry weight of an FJR is 584 pounds. The dry weight of an XL is 563 pounds.

Are you sure about that weight difference?

'Cause I traded in a XL1200C for an FJR, and I didn't notice a weight difference. And I felt the FJR was WAY more willing to lean.

And everything else.

I don't hate Harleys. I think they're beautiful. Just slow and unexciting.

Wow. Some friend you are. So, you rode your pal's new Harley home for him? You think you deserve a medal, or something?

A real friend would have talked him into getting a real bike.

Then again, if somebody didn't buy the things, cycletrader.com would go out of buisness.

A former boss gave me a 2000 Sportster that he no longer rode and I still got rid of it. No matter how much I tried to upgrade/smooth out the motor, I just could not take the punishing vibration and wind blast above 75 mph on the highway. I came to realize that the bike was nothing more than a loud scooter meant for side streets only.

Sportsters are well know for their rough ride. The bigger cruisers aren't that bad. I had a Softail custom with the stock "pillow" seat and could ride that for 300-600 miles without any troubles at all. Had a Heritage that kind of rode like a Caddy. My Nighttrain with the Badlander seat was a whole other story. Ouch! That's why all the Harley guys look so mean all the time- serious hemorrhoidal flare ups

My new (to me) 06 on the highway today at 80...like buttah. I do have to say the stock seat after 200 miles does leave a little bit to be desired. Wore some bike shorts under mesh riding pants today and came back after 2 hours with a happy ass- literally and figuratively :rolleyes:

IMHO, Harleys are pretty to look at and fun to put-put around the boardwalk to be noticed. After that they're just overpriced. I can find better things to spend the extra $5K on. That, and I'm comfortable with the size of my penis.

Doc

Wow. Some friend you are. So, you rode your pal's new Harley home for him? You think you deserve a medal, or something?
A real friend would have talked him into getting a real bike.

I tried....I REALLY tried....he was determined to get a Harley. <sigh>....

I figure after he puts a few miles on it he'll be ready to "upgrade"

Bad part is he's expecting us to go on rides together.....now, I'm no "HaulinAsh" but I do think he'll have trouble keeping up.

:lol:

Ray

The Sportster is obviously much lighter than the FJR so it felt easier to lean over.
Hmm. The dry weight of an FJR is 584 pounds. The dry weight of an XL is 563 pounds.

Are you sure about that weight difference?

'Cause I traded in a XL1200C for an FJR, and I didn't notice a weight difference. And I felt the FJR was WAY more willing to lean.

And everything else.

I don't hate Harleys. I think they're beautiful. Just slow and unexciting.

His is the 883L..about the smallest they make not counting the Buel Blast. It was definitely smaller so I just asumed it was lighter.

Ray

Good review. You should submit that to the bike magazines the next time they tout the HD's.

Know what you mean by the shaking. I see them sitting at a red light, vibrating and think, "how can that be comfortable".

The GF and I dusted a Harley and Porshe GR3 in the twisites yesterday while on the FEEJ.

I will stick with my sofisticated canyon carver thank you very much.

Bad part is he's expecting us to go on rides together.....now, I'm no "HaulinAsh" but I do think he'll have trouble keeping up.

Ray
Wow, be careful about that. Unless he is truly into "ride your own ride" he may try to keep up when he can't or shouldn't. The potential consequences of that are universally bad.

7X

Ray
Wow, be careful about that. Unless he is truly into "ride your own ride" he may try to keep up when he can't or shouldn't. The potential consequences of that are universally bad.

7X
Gunny!! Since he is a returning rider you have an excellent opportunity to be a good mentor. Keep your head in the ride and your right wrist in control as you "teach" him proper cornering and situational awareness.

When riding with my Harley-owning friends, I simply take the "sweep" position and enjoy the ride and the comraderie. Or, if its my ride and they are joining, I take into account their lack of cornering ability and keep the speeds to "+5" on the straightaways. Its all good!

[SIZE=8pt](However, I refuse to stop at bars for "refreshment"! J/K...my friends are like me and will not imbibe when riding.)[/SIZE]

Ray

7X
Gunny!! Since he is a returning rider you have an excellent opportunity to be a good mentor. Keep your head in the ride and your right wrist in control as you "teach" him proper cornering and situational awareness.

When riding with my Harley-owning friends, I simply take the "sweep" position and enjoy the ride and the comraderie. Or, if its my ride and they are joining, I take into account their lack of cornering ability and keep the speeds to "+5" on the straightaways. Its all good!

[SIZE=8pt](However, I refuse to stop at bars for "refreshment"! J/K...my friends are like me and will not imbibe when riding.)[/SIZE]

Good advice...I'll keep that in mind. I really would feel bad if he got in trouble that way.

I'm normally a pretty sedate rider. But I think even sedate speeds on the FJR might be a bit much for the Sporty. :p

His wife will make sure about the "no adult beverages while riding" rule though. :nono:

But it is SO tempting to dust him.....badly......just once.... :taunt:

Ray

As many of you know, I started with a Sportster, my first bike. So I thought it was normal to think every bump was gonna drive your spine into your brain, and that of course you couldn't see anything in the mirrors from the vibration, and of course you can't accelerate out of an SUV's way, and of course you have to use two hands and both feet on the ground to stop the damn thing.

So one day I rode my buddy's K1200RS. I got off it and exclaimed "F**k! I have GOT to have one of these!" (Meaning a state-of-the-art motorcycle. I first noticed its different performance characteristics when he'd "dust" me, rolling on that throttle and just disappearing into the distance, with me like I was on a tricycle.) That's when I got the feejer. I stopped riding the Sporty because I didn't feel safe. Even just around town I didn't feel safe. Finally sold it just last week.

But I will say this--it's a good first bike for your friend who hasn't ridden in awhile. They force you to use your street strategies, and they don't go so fast as to get you in trouble too quick. I'd be writing this as a dead person if the feejer were my first bike.

Jb

I tried to convince my brother to go small, used and cheap on his first ever bike. Unfortunately, his wife was adamant that he should buy the "best" and since all her friends ride Harleys... :rolleyes:

He got a brand new 2007 HD Heritage Softail Classic. (Gorgeous bike.) The second funniest thing I've heard? My brother explaining his choice of Heritage Softail Classic... Because he didn't want an "old man looking bike." :blink:

I try to be the best example I can for him. (I've said my piece a long time ago so I don't nag.) He knows what's safe, doesn't drink & ride, and rides his own ride.

Oh, and the funniest thing I've ever heard? On his first ride with me, his wife told him "don't try to keep up with him, you ride Harley speed." :lol:

But it is SO tempting to dust him.....badly......just once.... :taunt:
Ray
Ray....Ray...Ray. :dribble:

You mean like running the FJR up to...oh....4,000 rpms @ 3/4 throttle before shifting? C'mon, friend, "Dust an 883 Sportster?"!?!?! B) Better to let him enjoy his bike and the experience.

So, is it true that the Sportster handles like a beer can half filled with mercury? (and how many of us are old enough to remember playing with mercury, in chemistry lab, before it was deemed hazardous?)