HD vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJRBill wrote:
... Bought the Moto Guzzi on the spot...
Well, your CD collection

Looks shiny and costly

How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?

And how much did you spend

On your black leather jacket?

Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

Now, tickets to concerts

And drinking at clubs

Sometimes for music that you haven't even heard of

And how much did you pay for

Your rock 'n' roll T-shirt

That proves you were there, that you heard of them first?

Now, how do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

How do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

How do you afford your rock 'n' roll lifestyle?

Oh, tell me
Right! Owning a Moto Guzzi is part of a rock star life. You are a loner and I mean a loner, ain't nobody else out there. At Guzzi rallies, if two show up it's considered a success. Most of us wear coveralls and mud boots. Bluegrass tunes, our favorites. We can't afford no stinkin' rock 'n roll lifestyle. What are you smokin'? FJR Bill

Right up to this moment I thought I would own a Guzzi someday...
Thanks for killing that dream guys.
Actually RH, Moto Guzzi's are way cool motos; here is my very favorite model, the Falcone 500 set up for war in North Africa during WWII! JSNS, Prego!

Ten years ago I visited the Moto Guzzi Factory and Historical Museum in Mandello del Lario on the shores of Lake Como, IT; fascinating collection! JSNS, Ciao!

Last edited by a moderator:
Moto Guzzi Factory museum... been there, done that... was the only visitor

31ri9.jpg

I lusted after a Moto Guzzi T3 California when I was 17 years old.

I got over it!

I lusted after a Moto Guzzi T3 California when I was 17 years old.

I got over it!
Still not over my lust for Moto Guzzi, still looking for my Falcone! In March of 1969 at age 20 when I bought my 1966 BMW R60/2 from my off the base German Landlord, I almost bought a new Falcone. I bought my /2 for 1,600 Deutsche Marks, $400 US Dollars at the time. The Moto Guzzi dealer in Augsburg, Germany was selling new Falcone 500's for 3,200 Deutsche Marks, $800 US dollars at the then four to one conversion ratio! On a US Army Sergeant's E-5 pay, I just could not afford the Goose! JSNS!

In my area, Harley and BMW hold their resale better than anything else out there. More to buy, more to maintain though.

I read about used HDs with more than 30-40,000 miles on the odo being very hard to sell or even trade in on a new Harley. Evidently a HD with 50,000 miles on it is considered very high mileage to most prospective owners.

I've owned a total of six Moto Guzzi motorcycles.

Don't own one at the present time.

Not looking to own another - although... they DO make great conversation pieces !

Fun thread. The friend I ride around with the most has a HD and he readily admits he made a mistake: not because he bought a Harley but because he bought a Sportster. On our long, single day trips around the Houston area where even the farm roads aren't all that twisty and elevations are gentle if not downright flat - the difference between the Roadster and my FJR doesn't seem so severe as he is a pretty tough guy. However, a couple of weeks ago we went on a true sport-touring trip through the Texas Hill Country and into the west Texas mountains down to Big Bend and back over the course of 4 days and 2,200 miles. During a trip like this the Sportster showed it's limitations on every front and my friend just couldn't compensate as much as he tried. Lack of power and acceleration and speed, limited suspension for rough road or road dips (especially in turns), inability to corner in the twisties, limited range, poor instrumentation, limited bag space, and to top it all off the lack of comfort. Yes, the Sportster wasn't meant for long distance touring but I'm beginning to wonder what it is meant for. In the meantime, my friend keeps talking about giving the Sportster to his wife and getting a "real" bike. Good luck, my friend!

Fun thread. The friend I ride around with the most has a HD and he readily admits he made a mistake: not because he bought a Harley but because he bought a Sportster. On our long, single day trips around the Houston area where even the farm roads aren't all that twisty and elevations are gentle if not downright flat - the difference between the Roadster and my FJR doesn't seem so severe as he is a pretty tough guy. However, a couple of weeks ago we went on a true sport-touring trip through the Texas Hill Country and into the west Texas mountains down to Big Bend and back over the course of 4 days and 2,200 miles. During a trip like this the Sportster showed it's limitations on every front and my friend just couldn't compensate as much as he tried. Lack of power and acceleration and speed, limited suspension for rough road or road dips (especially in turns), inability to corner in the twisties, limited range, poor instrumentation, limited bag space, and to top it all off the lack of comfort. Yes, the Sportster wasn't meant for long distance touring but I'm beginning to wonder what it is meant for. In the meantime, my friend keeps talking about giving the Sportster to his wife and getting a "real" bike. Good luck, my friend!
The Sportster is made for rides around town, bar to bar rides, and poker runs. Not bad at its inception but so outdated today for any lengthy rides or performance rides. In short its a dinosaur that has very limited capabilities compared to modern bikes. But hey it has some charm that some enjoy.

Bill

Funny, I just got over a Harley crush for a Road King.

Fell in love with the looks and the thought of having a big heavy smooth cruiser. That all disappeared when I took a test ride on a 2012 RK.

Noisy tractor tranny, a tapping in the motor that was annoying along with a heavy thump of a vibration. The bike had a tall windshield but the air behind it was turbulent.

All the folks who want a six gear in the FJR should try the HD's six, talk about tall, I would say it could have done without that year model upgrade but whatever.

It did feel reasonably light once rolling but rolling around by hand was a chore. The other thing was the ride, Traxxion could have a field day improving this beast.

Anyway, the FJR is the bike for me. Lost all interest in HD's. Made me appreciate my 05 model and saved me some money.

I'm not a fan of HD, but the greatest racing I've ever seen was racers like Bart Markel, Cal Rayburn, Jay Springsteen, Chris Carr and Scott Parker in the Grand National Championship. The XR750 is the winningest motorcycle ever. Too bad HD turned their road bikes into crapola.

Love my 1200 sportster, it doesn't do anything great, but make a lot of noise, just has a cool factor. Reminds me of the old prop planes (as in the pic from today out at the airport) I have a smooth FJR jet bike with my co-pilot duchess for longer rides
punk.gif

16764229417_59d8d1f4c4_c.jpg