Headed for Vegas, Tomorrow, Father and Daughter Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPrice

Fish Cop (retired)
Reaction score
My 16 year old daughter is in a charter school for the performing arts, and she loves everything to do with acting, dancing, theater, etc.. She is in several school plays every year. My wife and I ride motorcycles and really enjoy it, but my daughter thinks we're "crazy". I've taken her to school on my bikes several times, but never a trip.

I know what you are all thinking, where is this headed????

So, last night she starts talking about how much she would love to go to Disneyland to eat in a certain restaurant, and see a certain play. So, we talk about this, and I say, "I'll take you, but you've gotta ride with me on the bike" (FJR). She doesn't hesitate and says she would like to. So, we continue to discuss this and my wife and daughter can see I'm serious about the trip, and we come up with a "Plan B", as Disneyland is a bit far for a two day trip. So, they suggest, "How about seeing the Lion King Disney musical in Vegas?" I respond, "Sure, but we have to go on the bike." My wife can't go, so it's a Father Daughter trip.

Anyway, I set it all up, tickets purchased, motel reservation for one night made, and we're going to the Mandalay Bay Resort tomorrow to see the musical!!

My ulterior motive is obvious, to get my daughter to ride with us on our trips in the future, so wish me luck!

Vegas is only 125 miles from where we live, so it's not an "iron butt" ride or anything.

Anyway, we'll post some pics and a ride report, probably in about three days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cool, heck she's your baby even if you had to let her drive you you'd be king for the weekend!

That's cool. I've taken my son, 7 years old, on a few short rides. He seems to enjoy going. I do worry about him falling asleep and falling off. I hope to keep him interested so we can do some motorcycle camping trips as he gets older. Hope you guys have a great trip.

That's cool. I've taken my son, 7 years old, on a few short rides. He seems to enjoy going. I do worry about him falling asleep and falling off. I hope to keep him interested so we can do some motorcycle camping trips as he gets older. Hope you guys have a great trip.
You know, I hadn't thought of her falling asleep! When my son was really young we'd be on horse back, and he WOULD fall asleep. I had to keep yelling at him to keep him from falling off. The Feej is so smooth, this could happen. I'll have to pinch her once in awhile! I'll go tell her to go to bed just now! I'd better "turn in" too!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cool, heck she's your baby even if you had to let her drive you you'd be king for the weekend!
So far, she's extremely excited! Telling all her friends about how "cool" Dad is for this! I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm "King" right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes, the camera is packed.

That is so awesome

My daughter is 14 - she has come with my wife and I on a lot of trips.

She gets a little board and wines a bit on the longer ones but that is to be expected. We stop as often as we can to break the boardem for her.

She does fall asleep but I have never had a problem when she does. Never seems to lean to far or anything.

On summer breaks we have flown her out to the relitives places and we will ride out and then she rides back with us.

Enjoy the trip. Stop lots and make it all about her. She'll love ya for it

What a great story to add to your family history!

I'm patiently waiting for the report while hoping you had a safe trip and a wonder-filled experience.

OK! Here's the report! Sunday AM my daughter and I packed our gear and at about noon we suited up, moved the bike onto the driveway and started her up! We ARE going!

Here's some pics of the "send off":

IMG_1921.jpg

OK, we're on the bike, committed now:

100_3044.jpg

And on down the driveway:

100_3045.jpg

And there we go!

100_3048.jpg

Down to another FJR Forum members house, Kevin, who graciously offered to lend us the "back half" of a Corbin Saddle so my daughter would have a back rest. Kevin has a beautiful 2007 A model that is like brand new. Here she is with Kevin:

IMG_1922.jpg

And off we go, about 125 miles to Vegas! Traffic was not that bad, and after pulling into only one wrong parking area, we found the correct, covered one:

IMG_1925.jpg

We covered the bike, and locked it up, including with a cable and, it was still there, untouched the next day:

IMG_1957.jpg

Now it's off to the show! Here's some pics of the place.

Selena was having a good time:

IMG_1936.jpg

Here's some "advertisements" for the play:

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

She decided to imitate the lion at the entrance:

IMG_1954.jpg

The Lion King musical can only be described as STUNNING, and I'm a redneck who rarely ventures anywhere "public". My daughter said it was one of the best trips she's ever been on, even though it was a very short one!

The ride back today was uneventful, very nice weather. I stopped in Mesquite to make sure Selena was OK, and she said, "Dad I'm fine, let's keep going". Sounds good to me, we took a couple of pics in the parking lot of the Casablanca resort:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

OK! Here's the report! Sunday AM my daughter and I packed our gear and at about noon we suited up, moved the bike onto the driveway and started her up! We ARE going!

Here's some pics of the "send off":

IMG_1921.jpg

OK, we're on the bike, committed now:

100_3044.jpg

And on down the driveway:

100_3045.jpg

And there we go!

100_3048.jpg

Down to another FJR Forum members house, Kevin, who graciously offered to lend us the "back half" of a Corbin Saddle so my daughter would have a back rest. Kevin has a beautiful 2007 A model that is like brand new. Here she is with Kevin:

IMG_1922.jpg

And off we go, about 125 miles to Vegas! Traffic was not that bad, and after pulling into only one wrong parking area, we found the correct, covered one:

IMG_1925.jpg

We covered the bike, and locked it up, including with a cable and, it was still there, untouched the next day:

IMG_1957.jpg

Now it's off to the show! Here's some pics of the place.

Selena was having a good time, and so was I!:

IMG_1936.jpg

Here's some "advertisements" for the play:

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

She decided to imitate the lion at the entrance:

IMG_1954.jpg

The Lion King musical can only be described as STUNNING, and I'm a redneck who rarely ventures anywhere "public". My daughter said it was one of the best trips she's ever been on, even though it was a very short one! We ate and then "hiked around" the Mandalay Bay and the Luxor a bit, but then she said she'd had enough, so we went back and watched Pirates of the Carribean in the room.

The ride back today was uneventful, very nice weather. I stopped in Mesquite to make sure Selena was OK, and she said, "Dad I'm fine, let's keep going". Sounds good to me, and we took a couple of pics in the parking lot of the Casablanca resort:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

Then we drove back to St. George where I dropped her off at school, and she only missed a couple of classes (it was worth it). When my wife and Selena got home, we were reflecting on the trip, and how much fun we had. My daughter said, "You know, it was really fun, but someday I'd like to ride my own bike". I said, "Well we've got my 650 Versys that maybe you could learn to ride that someday". She responded, while pointing at the FJR, saying, "No Dad, I wanna drive this one!!"

Maybe my original plan was a good one!

I think the trip was a success!

Sorry about the duplication, I was still reviewing one post, when I apparently posted it. The one above is the final. Can the administrator help??

Again, couldn't figure out how to delete the incomplete one!

Awesome Bob! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time. I have a pic somewhere of my (then) 16 yo, leaning on the bike, hand on hip, saying something like "c'mon Dad... Let's go!"

Thanks for sharing!

That was great. Looks like dad and daughter had a really fun time in Vegas. I have three daughters and have been trying to get one to go on a ride with me. No luck so far! My oldest daughter wanted to go on my next trip on March 27th to the winery and ride up the coast of California, but when I told her that since she makes more money than I do, she'll have to buy her own gear. I did offer to buy the helmet, so we drove out to Vegas to visit one of the Cycle Gear stores to try on jackets, boots, gloves and helmets, she turned into a cheapskate and changed her mind. But now she is reconsidering, so who knows.

I would love to take one of my girls on a motorcycle trip before they get any older and too independent. You are a lucky man. Congratulations!!

Nice, fathers day gift is gonna rock this year! No doubt a great farkle for the bike.......She's probably thinking Corbin seat with rear backrest for future rides.

Awesome report! Really looks like a fun trip. I hope to do something like that with one or the other of my kids in the next couple years. Thnaks for sharing. Kudos to Kevin for being an awesome example of what the forum is about, too!

That was great. Looks like dad and daughter had a really fun time in Vegas. I have three daughters and have been trying to get one to go on a ride with me. No luck so far! My oldest daughter wanted to go on my next trip on March 27th to the winery and ride up the coast of California, but when I told her that since she makes more money than I do, she'll have to buy her own gear. I did offer to buy the helmet, so we drove out to Vegas to visit one of the Cycle Gear stores to try on jackets, boots, gloves and helmets, she turned into a cheapskate and changed her mind. But now she is reconsidering, so who knows.
I would love to take one of my girls on a motorcycle trip before they get any older and too independent. You are a lucky man. Congratulations!!
Big D,

Yeah my daughter is sensitive about her clothing. She has her own helmet and jacket, but the pants she was wearing were mine, and that's why they're way too big around her waste. I'm sure that if she keeps going with me, she's gonna buy some riding pants that fit!

She is getting very independent, and I just had to think of something that she would dearly love to do, and then say we're going on the bike!

It worked!