Headlight Cracking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saread

Reaction score
Headlight lenses cracked. Dealer replaced the entire assembly under YES. They said this was the second 08 they had fixed for this problem. I saw the part from the other bike and it had cracked the same way. Looks like there may have been some with a molding defect to the inner lenses.

DSC_0979.jpg
DSC_0980.jpg

Exactly what mine has done - twice..

I believe that the reflector is inhaling gas fumes when you stop to refuel and the hottest part of the polycarbonate is reacting with the ethanol.

The topic from the first time it happened to me can be found here: https://www.fjrforum....showtopic=26025

This time around the assemblies look like this:

Yamaha replaced the reflector the first time and are supposed to be doing it again (though my dealer says that they have not yet received formal approval for the claim) under the YPP (Canadian (ergo much more expensive for a lot less) version of YES)..

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got your dealer to replace your lens under YES. When I tried it last year with my 2006, they refused, saying the problem is only "cosmetic". Mine look exactly like yours.

P1010946.JPG

P1010948.JPG