Heat Issue, Observation And Comparison.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lomaxcm

Reaction score
For anyone that cares :D I did a little comparison on the heat issue between my 05 FJR1300 and 04 Ducati 998S. I rode them around the same route tonight and compared the heat given off by the two bikes. The air temperature this evening is a mild 84, and while I agree that the FJR does give off a fair amount of heat, It is COLD compared to the Duc. :bigeyes: I guess everything is relative. i still think I will work on the heat fix on the FJR as I am not planning on any big trips on the Duc. They don't make enough Advil for that. :lol:

Ride Safe.

Marc

I think the total volume of heat between the FJR and other competing bikes is comparable, but the FJR does seem to have a localized superheated jet of VERY hot air coming back at shin level, worst on the left side.

I'm fine with the tank heat and overall amount of heat from the bike, but when you just have jeans on, I get the feeling that a blow dryer is on high and aimed at my left shin. I may try the Crommit mod.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark:

I put a round 2" piece of pipe insulation foam (used for insulating hot water heater pipes) inside the fairing, along the top 'shin edge'. It's about 2' long and pushed all the way foreward, almost to the hazard switch in panel A. I think the rectifier stopped further foreward movement. This sealed the hot air blast. I also tried to plug the lower rear corner of the fairing, in front of my left ankle.

All in all, it's still pretty Fookin' HOT. :bigeyes:

I feel the FJR heat is a minor inconvenience. I wear Sidi boots which block out most of the problem. Try wearing a black uniform,vest,high police boots sitting atop a HD Roadking stuck in traffic; the engine generates incredible heat. My thighs,feet, and calves feel like they are melting when temps are in the 70/80/90 degree range. Ouch!! :dribble:

I think the total volume of heat between the FJR and other competing bikes is comparable, but the FJR does seem to have a localized superheated jet of VERY hot air coming back at shin level, worst on the left side. 
I'm fine with the tank heat and overall amount of heat from the bike, but when you just have jeans on, I get the feeling that a blow dryer is on high and aimed at my left shin.  I may try the Crommit mod.

- Mark
You are in for a pleasant surprise if you do the Cromeit mod. It is a well invested hour of your time. :thumbup: