Heat on the 05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalioGladius

Reaction score
I've tried the insulation underneath the tank, which keeps the gas tank cooler, but it just diverts all the hot air out the sides of the bike. I wore shorts for a 15 mile trip the other day (yes, I know) and it literally cooked my legs. They were red and near blistering for two days.

It's not much better with jeans on, it just gets too hot.

Anyone know of anything else I can try? I'm getting close to just trading it in for an 06, since it was supposedly fixed.

I have an '04 that had the extra heat insulation stuck to the underside of the tank. it was still hot. I did the additional heat "blanket" install that Jeff Ashe had posted (search "heat" & "jeffashe") and found this along with a bunch of other posts addressing this issue on the first gen bikes.

I can live with it now, but I wear JR alterego all the time & only get any noticeable heat off the frame under the tank.

-wr

Uhh Ohh This could get ugly! :ph34r:
It's been beat to death I know....but I have to do something or else I won't be able to ride until fall.

I have an '04 that had the extra heat insulation stuck to the underside of the tank. it was still hot. I did the additional heat "blanket" install that Jeff Ashe had posted (search "heat" & "jeffashe") and found this along with a bunch of other posts addressing this issue on the first gen bikes.
I can live with it now, but I wear JR alterego all the time & only get any noticeable heat off the frame under the tank.

-wr
hmmm....I missed that thread somehow. Sounds like I need to find some of that heat shield material and do something similar.

Leather pants.....never noticed the heat until I joined this forum and noticed all the whiners cryin' bout it.

Leather pants.....never noticed the heat until I joined this forum and noticed all the whiners cryin' bout it.
I rode my 05 for a year and one half and was asked by alot of riders about the heat build up. I did not know what they were talking about. I thought that when you sit on a motor that is using fire to propel itself across the surface that you would expect some heat. When my legs got hot I would just spread them to catch some air until the next corner. I finally decided to try one of the heat fixes and purchased some insulation for under the tank that thought that it did help. Then about a year later I purchased the 07. There seems to be a difference in the heat build up. However in the summer when it is 90 degrees or higher my legs still get hot and I still spread them to catch some air and cool off unitl the next corner. I did not trade the 05 becasue of the heat. No I traded for a better reason. I like the 07 color.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, color coordination.....that's ..um.....skooterg.....can you fix that, bust? edit: while yer yappin bout my assless chaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya gotta usethis color when you mention that name.

Hey! the only kids allowed assless were the left coasters, whats gotten into you?

:jester:

TalioGladius,

I never had any issues with the heat shield I fabricated for the 05. The backing paper did eventually come off after a few months. The adhesive had given up as expected and it all worked out.

IMO, it makes a big difference to place the heat shield against the motor as I did, rather than against the tank as some have done. I live in a hot & HUMID climate (NC coast), and the 05 is the worst year for heat issues IMO. But I miss the ECM program and especially the color! Don't give up on it.

If you have trouble finding the heat shield material, I may have a package left over from the experiment.

I ride in Newfoundland, Canada. Most of the year, if I didn't have that heat off the engine, I would probably freeze to death! I do the same as AStar. Don't be afraid, spread your legs.

Here's a link to the old 'Left Side heat fix' article from the euro board.

Clicky here

Here'e a link to the old 'Right Side' heat fix, also fron the euro board.

Clicky Here

Should apply to '03 through '05 models. My '05 must've been built on Tuesday, heat hasn't been that bad for me...

Hope this helps !

P.S. I seem to remember a posting about adding some fin like louvers to re-direct the airflow, maybe by Jestal ? Search should find those posts on this forum.

TalioGladius,

I get a lot less heat on my legs if I ride with the the windshield all the way up. The lower the shield is the hotter my legs get.

Zoltan

My 02 Triumph ST burnt my legs too...when I wore shorts. Needless to say I do not wear shorts.

Bought an 05 FJR two weeks ago and had to ride her through Manhatten NY (88F day). Got lost for about an hour in stop and go traffic (More stop than go). Temps reached into 4 bars and the fan would come on. I felt heat between the legs, but this is really a non-issue when compared to the Triumph. Not to say your not experience heat, but I'm not sure why so many complain about burning heat? Wear appropriate riding gear and it should not be a problem.

I've tried the insulation underneath the tank, which keeps the gas tank cooler, but it just diverts all the hot air out the sides of the bike. I wore shorts for a 15 mile trip the other day (yes, I know) and it literally cooked my legs. They were red and near blistering for two days.
It's not much better with jeans on, it just gets too hot.

Anyone know of anything else I can try? I'm getting close to just trading it in for an 06, since it was supposedly fixed.
Yep, the only thing that worked for me was this....

Dale walkers hole shot system..... It is a little on the loud side, so you could get the headers and just use your stock cans if that would be an issues....

slidebeforeandafter031.jpg

Bike still gets warm, however i have not felt the discomfort this summer that i have had the past 2!

change the stock windscreen to a Cee Bailey +2+2 with flip as it changes the airflow characteristics for the better.

The stock screen "envelope" closes to quickly which results in the dreaded "push" on your back and even worse, updraft from the engine into the front of your body.