Heated gloves vs. heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These look promising - anybody here tried them? For $45, I don't think you could go wrong.

Removable Heat

I did a search for them in Google. There's a decent number of reviews out there. A lot of people really like them (especially if they have multiple bikes). A lot of people don't like them. Looks like the switch is in a stupid place too, too close to the power end of the wire. In my case, with a power block under the seat, the switch wouldn't be too far from that.

I'm debating on the Dual Stars vs. the Honda grips at the moment. It seems like some of the heated gloves are a little bulky, and while I really don't want to spend the time out in the garage installing heated grips, I'm leaning that way at the moment.

Hopefully not a duplicate topic.

Getting ready to make a list for Santa, and trying to decide between heated gloves or heated grips. The gloves are more or less plug n' play, but are more costly than the generic heated grips posted on the forum in the past...

*Mostly* for commuting, but if I were warmer, who knows? =)
The gloves do not keep my fingers warm alone.
Didn't like the gloves, I've got small hands and thick gloves just made it worse for me, so I went with the grips and have not been disappointed. My hands get cold easily, so if I'm covering the front brake those fingers tend to get cold, which they wouldn't with gloves. Heated grips allow use of much lighter gloves for better feel too.

Good thread. I hadn't really considered the bulk of gloves when figuring out a cold weather solution. I don't seem to have problems with the bulky gloves. Maybe it's because I grew up skiing and am just used to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
These look promising - anybody here tried them? For $45, I don't think you could go wrong.

Removable Heat

I did a search for them in Google. There's a decent number of reviews out there. A lot of people really like them (especially if they have multiple bikes). A lot of people don't like them. Looks like the switch is in a stupid place too, too close to the power end of the wire. In my case, with a power block under the seat, the switch wouldn't be too far from that.

I'm debating on the Dual Stars vs. the Honda grips at the moment. It seems like some of the heated gloves are a little bulky, and while I really don't want to spend the time out in the garage installing heated grips, I'm leaning that way at the moment.
Gerbing's now offers a much thinner glove ( G-3 ) !! Old style still works for me in the cold & wet Northwest.

Good thread. I hadn't really considered the bulk of gloves when figuring out a cold weather solution. I don't seem to have problems with the bulky gloves. Maybe it's because I grew up skiing and am just used to them.

There are bulkier heated ski gloves out there for about $25. They run on 4 "AA" batteries. While I'm really tempted to try them, they're not leather, so there's little crash protection to be had there. For $25, you save money and wattage on the bike, though I would guess they're not well suited for higher speed riding, the V-Strom handguards would probably help level the playing field there.

Jeff