Heated gloves vs. heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRJeff

Reaction score
Hopefully not a duplicate topic.

Getting ready to make a list for Santa, and trying to decide between heated gloves or heated grips. The gloves are more or less plug n' play, but are more costly than the generic heated grips posted on the forum in the past...

*Mostly* for commuting, but if I were warmer, who knows? =)

Getting ready to make a list for Santa, and trying to decide between heated gloves or heated grips. The gloves are more or less plug n' play, but are more costly than the generic heated grips posted on the forum in the past...

Hey Jeff,

I went through the same thing recently...trying to decide which to go with. I ended up doing the grips that were relatively simple to install:

IMG_2807.JPG

The main reason I chose the grips over the gloves was because they are always there. If you're riding home one evening and its chilly you just flip the switch. However when it is really cold...like I'd say below 40...thats where I'd like those gloves. So I think both would be perfect. I refuse to spend anymore money so it'll have to be next season maybe for the gloves. For the real cold days though I think I'm going to try duck taping those handwarmers to the top of my glove. Ghetto, I know...but it may help.

The grips are far more effective. The gloves do not keep my fingers warm alone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>> GLOVES....... No question! With a controller!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>> GLOVES....... No question! With a controller!!
I can't help but notice that none of our Southern CA bro's have peeped up... They are still wearing fingerless gloves for better throttle control on the abruptly-responsive 06's... :rolleyes: Actually - very good question.. will follow this thread closely..

The grips are far more effective. The gloves do not keep my fingers warm alone.

Interesting that you and tripletango gave opposite answers. =)

My thoughts on the grips are that it is the outsides of my hands facing the breeze, not the inside.

I was mulling over the Widders since they're a little less costly, vs. the "no name" grips....

What kind of gloves are you using?

Someone else posted about these somewhere here on the forum. I bought a set and am very pleased with the results. They're kinda pricey ($70-$75), and look kinda funky, but yesterday morning in 35F temps my hands were WAY warmer than they were tonight at 48F without them.

I use the Gerbing heated gloves myself and wouldn't be without them in the cold weather. A K1200RS riding buddy of mine has the stock BMW heated grips but found that the backs of his hands got cold and also went to using the Gerbing gloves. I think that if your gloves are insulated enough for the cold it stands to reason that they would somewhat insulate from the heat in the grips. For him, the heated grips seem to work well in cooler weather but not that well in really cold weather.

NYPete

Both.

Or heated grips, thermal gloves and Vstrom hand guards.

Or heated grips, lectric gloves and Vstrom hand guards.

I use and like Gerbings gloves that attach electrically to my jacket liner. I also use a portable controller clipped to my belt to control the temperature. I am able to easily move from bike to bike and just plug into the connector prewired on each bike. The backs of my hands stay warmer with the gloves then just having grip heaters. I also used to make flexible printed circuitry and just don't trust the reliability of the flexing wire connection to the grip heater nor the wire connecting it to the bike.

Someone else posted about these somewhere here on the forum. I bought a set and am very pleased with the results. They're kinda pricey ($70-$75), and look kinda funky, but yesterday morning in 35F temps my hands were WAY warmer than they were tonight at 48F without them.
Ahh good ol' DocBunsen... I just ordered a pair of these.. I don't care how they look.. 15 seconds to install or remove... I think this just might work..
R1200c1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are similar to the things I've seen on the police cruisers, only theirs appear to be fleece lined and go farther up the arm (closer to the elbow).

Hippo hands! Sure, they look like they work but every time I scratch myself (or otherwise need a free hand) I'd be over a second away from the controls? No way. Gerbings G3 gloves for me (plus the Vstrom hand guard mod).

Hippo hands! Sure, they look like they work but every time I scratch myself (or otherwise need a free hand) I'd be over a second away from the controls? No way. Gerbings G3 gloves for me (plus the Vstrom hand guard mod).
I understand the concern in that area, but I don't find it takes much extra time to get back to controls. The ones that they sent me for the FJR have a larger opening (horizontally larger)that makes it easier to get the hands in and out. It does take a smidgen longer, but it's not a second.
One improvement that I might make to them is to sew the interior fleecy material to the outer shell so that they're more bonded together. Right now it's possible for the interier top to hang down a little which can cause drag when inserting hands.

Well, I did a fair share of cold weather riding when I ran into the early snow storms in Colorado in September on the way back to Orangevale. My Tourmaster winter gloves were okay, but my fingers were getting pretty cold as I crossed Utah at night in 18 degree weather. In desperation, I bought a pair of these at a gas station hoping for ANY kind of relief and the result was amazing. I put these on under my tourmaster cold weather gloves and not only did it reduce the cold, my hands were comfortably warm for six hours at 85 (I mean 70) mph!

https://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_967.asp

$6 for 12 pairs and a successful result. Sweet

Last edited by a moderator: