Heated grips or heated Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toter

Reaction score
Heated grips or heated Gloves? I live where it is relatively warm, but below 40 my hands get cold pretty quick. Seems as though the gloves would be cheaper, and heat the back sides of the fingers as well. Any thoughts on what you guys prefer?

When it's time for heated hands, this is what I've found to be true...

--Heated grips don't take up any room in your luggage when not being used

--They can't be lost or forgotten

--They work with any gloves, or no gloves

I rely on handguards to deflect most of the windblast from the back of my hands, but they can still get cold at times. Heated gloves may indeed address the back of the hand cold, but it's up to you if that is the deal breaker.

Here's the nice thing though, just like a throttle lock and a real cruise control, you can have both!

All the best,

Shane

I have heated grips and they are better than nothing, but they really just do a good job of heating the palms of my hands. My fingers still get cold even with the v strom hand guards on. I would really like to try some good heated gloves to see if they would solve the cold finger problem.

GP

I prefer heated gloves even with the inconveniences listed. My particular case is due to extremely cold hands (and feet) even when not riding; the gloves heat from above, and for me, do a better job. Probably for the vast majority of people heated grips will do just fine.

I prefer the heated gloves or more recently heated glove liners. I own and ride multiple bikes, gloves are usable on all of them. The glove liners I recently purchased are nice in that they're quite thin and can be used with any glove over them. They pack very easily and are pretty efficient.

My gloves work better than my grips. I bought a used set of gerbings with just a power lead, no control box.

I have tried both,if the cold is not too much,the heated grips does a very good job.But if the cold is too much,the only way is the heated gloves!Without the heated gloves you feel the hot from the heated grips into your palm,but not too much on your fingers!Especially if you drive in a road with many turns or in the traffic and you need to work the clutch and brake levers frequently.Your fingers will stay a bit cold even with the best gloves..

The best way,but a bit pricey is: Heated grips & Heated gloves..!You can use them alternately..or and both..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Grips 75% of the time, gloves 25% when it gets really cold or I'm doing more than just commuting. With the hand guards blocking most of the wind and the right gloves (thin palms, thick everywhere else) I'm pretty comfortable unless the temp is below about 30, after that and my thumbs get cold. Like everything else, there's no one perfect solution...for me anyway.

I have both. My hands get cold very quickly. I rode to Yarnell for breakfast the other morning at 40 degrees. Knowing I was going up 3000 feet, I stopped and put on the heated gloves to augment the heated grips. Toasty! I have to be careful with the Gen 1 that if I am not running above 1500 RPM with all of the heated gear on, Jacket, gloves and grips, I am drawing down the battery. I run the Clearwater Voltage monitor and it is easy to keep track.

...I have to be careful with the Gen 1 that if I am not running above 1500 RPM with all of the heated gear on, Jacket, gloves and grips, I am drawing down the battery. I run the Clearwater Voltage monitor and it is easy to keep track.
[iMO] I'm not so sure of the value of the Clearwater Voltage Monitor which for ~$60 will tell you that 12.1 volts is an acceptable voltage for normal riding. [/iMO]

As I get older my hands get colder. Right now I'm using Oxford grips and V-Strom hand guards with good winter gloves that have heated grip friendly palms and this combo lets me ride below 20º F without cold hands or fingers. I couldn't do this with the Gen I OEM grips. What I need now is heated levers for when I have to sit in traffic and hold the clutch and/or brake. I'm sure that heated gloves or liners would be as good or better but I'm not into the extra wires and like having the grips always ready should the need unexpectedly arise, such as rain, a blown forecast or an unanticipated trip up mountains.

...I have to be careful with the Gen 1 that if I am not running above 1500 RPM with all of the heated gear on, Jacket, gloves and grips, I am drawing down the battery. I run the Clearwater Voltage monitor and it is easy to keep track.
[iMO] I'm not so sure of the value of the Clearwater Voltage Monitor which for ~$60 will tell you that 12.1 volts is an acceptable voltage for normal riding. [/iMO]

As I get older my hands get colder. Right now I'm using Oxford grips and V-Strom hand guards with good winter gloves that have heated grip friendly palms and this combo lets me ride below 20º F without cold hands or fingers. I couldn't do this with the Gen I OEM grips. What I need now is heated levers for when I have to sit in traffic and hold the clutch and/or brake. I'm sure that heated gloves or liners would be as good or better but I'm not into the extra wires and like having the grips always ready should the need unexpectedly arise, such as rain, a blown forecast or an unanticipated trip up mountains.
The heated levers is the best solution for the fingers!But you can't find nowhere these things..!Ι tried to find these but nobody make them..

... I'm using Oxford grips and V-Strom hand guards with good winter glove...What I need now is heated levers for when I have to sit in traffic and hold the clutch and/or brake...
The heated levers is the best solution for the fingers!But you can't find nowhere these things..!Ι tried to find these but nobody make them..
Are you ready to go into business with me on this? Lessee, we could do like glove liners with heater wires in a cloth tube that slips over the levers, or we could do rubber sleeves that have heater wires that work like mini heated grips that slip over the levers. My favorite is to have the levers heated by engine coolant but that may have some unnecessarily complicated install problems and there are also issue with induction heated levers
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heated grips, heated gloves, heated glove liners and hand guards... with the (obvious) exception of the hand guards, I haven't used any of them yet.

But I am prepared!

Recently installed Oxford Heaterz and am happy with them. I can wear my summer weight A* gloves down to about 40F. Hands don't feel but comfortable, finger tips tend to get cold but I just wrap my fingers a little farther around the grip and that warms them up. Haven't found a way to keep my clutch fingers warm in traffic though. I tend to cover the clutch lever in freeway and slower traffic so they are hanging out there with no heat. Not a problem so far; I don't ride when the temp drops to 38F or below. Wired direct to battery and turn off with the ignition so there is some sort of circuitry in the controller. I still make sure to check the monitor light to make sure.

I have done several 500+ miles days where temperatures ranged from 26 to 37 degrees Fahrenheit. It is fairly comfortable with good waterproof gloves, V-Strom hand guards, peel and stick heated grips, and foam lever covers. The main concern for me is cold thumbs followed by cold fingertips, even with foam lever covers. Occasionally I would dig my fingertips and thumbs into the heated grip for relief, with marginal affect. I have to say though that the foam lever covers do help a lot in areas where you need to shift and brake a lot. I also found that my thick winter gloves were no better that my thinner waterproof gloves.

I just got Warm and Safe electric gloves for Christmas
smile.png

P.S. For the feet, I have heated insoles designed for snowmobiles. They can get really hot!