Heated Grips...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zilla,

Before you go and invest in a Throttlemeister, check this out. Go Cruise I had a Throttlemeister on a CBR600 and ended taking it off, just not the safest thing IMHO to be using. I haven't used one of the Go Cruise units, but looks like it might work with your new grips and at around $22 shipped, it won't break the bank.
Someone had just posted a video of them riding with that Go Cruise. I liked it, so I looked at it, and I don't think it will work. The A'ME heated grip places the control button at the far right of the throttle side, near the inside edge of the grip:

Heated_ProductPage_SportsBike_1.jpg

The throttle grip is the one standing up. So, the placement of the LED and the control button pretty much prevents anything from sliding over that area of the grip, pretty much discountig a lot of different throttle locks.

Unless someone comes up with a different kind of throttle lock that doesn't go around the grip, or require some separation of the rubber grip from the tube, it looks like the Throttle Meister is the only one that is going to work with these things.

Unless someone comes up with a different kind of throttle lock that doesn't go around the grip, or require some separation of the rubber grip from the tube, it looks like the Throttle Meister is the only one that is going to work with these things.
I totally don't get the attraction of an integrated grip+heater when much better (IMHO) options exist. Starting with the tried and true Dual Star (or its cousins Symtex, Kimpex, etc.) will keep a bunch of money in your pocket while allowing you to use the grips of your choice rather than the wacky-shaped grips shown in the photo above, plus you get to use the OEM grip heat controller and existing chassis wiring. The fact that these are too short and require you to move the handlebar controls to get a good fit, plus the poor integration with the cheap (but popular) throttle locks, make the whole thing pretty much of a dud, if you ask me. Yeah, no one asked me, I know.

Regarding that poor integration with throttle locks, this is your chance to go with an Audiovox cruise control. :)

Regarding that poor integration with throttle locks, this is your chance to go with an Audiovox cruise control. :)
Thanks smartass...I've actually been thinking about just going to a full cruise. But then I'll lose my Tail Blazers, and the cruise will sit in a box for a while until I find someone that knows how to install it...Wonder if its worth the pain.

Thanks smartass...I've actually been thinking about just going to a full cruise. But then I'll lose my Tail Blazers, and the cruise will sit in a box for a while until I find someone that knows how to install it...Wonder if its worth the pain.
I know damn well I wanna read about you loosing your mind while attempting the install dik face. I'm sure it will be highly entertaining!

CC install is a mofo and I strongly advise the assistance of one who's been there AJ.

...and the cruise will sit in a box for a while until I find someone that knows how to install it.
I know damn well I wanna read about you loosing your mind while attempting the install dik face. I'm sure it will be highly entertaining!

CC install is a mofo and I strongly advise the assistance of one who's been there AJ.
Notice the bolder part of my post...Your reading comprehension is even more fucked up when you haven't been drinking...I would never try that install myself. I have absolutely NO patience, and would fuck it up royally.

I bet if I did try I could come up with some new cuss-words...I would have to have someone install it for me while I watched, handed them tools, and

opened beers. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Actually, I'm wrong. I need to start by buying a Cruise Control. You think that guy in the classifieds will get pissed if I offer him $100 for one of those Audiovox clones?

Your Tail Blazers would coexist fine with a cruise control. A tiny bit of extra wiring is involved, but nothing complicated.

I've installed a couple of Audiovox units and don't see what the big deal is. It's time consuming but not difficult.

Lemme see what I can come up with...Below is a link to FJRiders.com where we already hashed out all this stuff. I deleted the pictures from my phone, but still have them on my work computer. Problem is, I can't get Photobucket from here. If this doesn't work, I could always just email them to you.Ok...I got one from another guy to show up here. I think this looks like crap, and on my bike with the OEM bar-ends, it looked even worse:
6335492567_b5f34fa5e2_z.jpg
The way the images are hosted over there won't let me paste them here, so here is the link to that thread. The pictures start on page 2. I think you could get one of those EB switches in there...You could measure it or order one and see if it fits...There's definately room to work.FJRiders Discussion See Post #82
Hey, that's my picture! :p

They fit much better now that I moved them outboard.