Hell's Canyon Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRJeff

Reaction score
Official placeholder for a Hell's Canyon ride in September.

Was mulling over making it a 3 day ride (Friday or Monday to be added to the weekend). One day out, one day to leisurely ride the canyon, one day back. I am currently leaning towards doing it in two days since it's not THAT far away from Portland. Should be backroads all the way, more or less. Slab available for the return trip if you're short on time.

Anyways, if you're interested in joining, chime in, and please voice a preference for a 2 or 3 day ride so I can get a feel for what people are interested in. If any of you guys or gals up north a bit are interested but want to shorten the ride a bit, you're welcome to crash at my house the night before so you're not running all night (as long as you're not a freak! No freaks allowed). My wife and I have a spare bedroom, and a big comfy couch.

On board:

FJRJeff

650cent

650cent's Friend (ST1300)

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest the attached ride, but in reverse of the numbers? 3-day with 400 mile days. Base camp/motel in Joseph. Back roads through Oregon to Oxbow then up to Joseph. Second day, ride to Cambridge for breakfast, then on to Rattle Snake Grade and the Grand Ronde for Lunch, then back to Joseph. Leave on Third day and take the quick route home through La Grand and Heppner, back on SR74 to I-84 back to Portland. ????

https://home.comcast.net/~kenhattan/Hells_C...n_Ride_2006.jpg :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest the attached ride, but in reverse of the numbers? 3-day with 400 mile days. Base camp/motel in Joseph. Back roads through Oregon to Oxbow then up to Joseph. Second day, ride to Cambridge for breakfast, then on to Rattle Snake Grade and the Grand Ronde for Lunch, then back to Joseph. Leave on Third day and take the quick route home through La Grand and Heppner, back on SR74 to I-84 back to Portland. ????
https://home.comcast.net/~kenhattan/Hells_C...n_Ride_2006.jpg :yahoo:
I'm game for whatever route, but I know some people prefer to avoid the highways. I had routed the trip a little differently, using 26/216 (Maupin)/218 through/near the John Day Fossil Beds where I believe it picks up 26 again. From the PDX airport to Baker City runs about 350 miles.

Sounds like you know your way around out there *just a bit*. :D

This sounds like fun; I'll check my calendar and have my people call your people if I can swing it. I vote for the three day extendo-ride.

This sounds like fun; I'll check my calendar and have my people call your people if I can swing it. I vote for the three day extendo-ride.

Owwww... stop twisting my arm.... OK, OK... I'll take a long weekend.

You better be able to swing it! I'm willing to get out of my La-Z-Boy during football season for this.

I came back from WFO-5 via hwy 95 through Hell's Canyon. I didn't have time to explore the area on that trip, but am shure you will find it worth the ride. I wouldn't mind a return trip my self. There is a lot of country out there I've yet to see. I might try to make it down there for the ride, if I can work out the time.

I came back from WFO-5 via hwy 95 through Hell's Canyon. I didn't have time to explore the area on that trip, but am shure you will find it worth the ride. I wouldn't mind a return trip my self. There is a lot of country out there I've yet to see. I might try to make it down there for the ride, if I can work out the time.
Hope you can make it!

From the photos I've seen, the area is amazingly beautiful. Taking three days would leave one whole day to take our time and take in the scenery!

Jeff

I'm going to pencil this one in. Might be able to talk my ST 1300 friend along also. Camping or motel? Either way is fine w/ me.

Bill

I'm going to pencil this one in. Might be able to talk my ST 1300 friend along also. Camping or motel? Either way is fine w/ me. Bill
Excellent.

I was thinking motel.

We'll add either the Friday or Monday to make it a 3 day. I had originally planned to do 1 day out, stay in Baker City, one day to do Hell's Canyon, very casually with photo ops, then one day back. That will avoid it being rushed. If we use Monday as the third day, nobody will miss the canyon ride, and can come back on Sunday if necessary. The ride out using PDX as a start point is about 350 miles, all backroad. That would leave us about an hour out from the canyon.

I've been really busy lately so haven't had time to eyeball maps or the route Ken provided, so I may reconsider what I've drawn up so far when I have time. I am certainly interesting in riding through the Fossil/Spray area as I've heard is very pretty

I pencil you guys on the list.

I've motelled it (on past ventures into the area) in both Richland and Halfway. This puts one closer to Hell's Canyon and the run up to north terminus of Hell's Can. Dam. As well, one can do a nice loop ride up Wallowa Mtn Loop #39, thru Enterprise, Elgin, Union, down#203 thru Medical Springs and back to #86.

Side trip options or alt. "to/from" routes could be Rattlesnake Grade from Lewiston (Or #3), #204 over Tollgate from Weston to Elgin, or #71 coming up from Idaho. All good stuff !!! Plenty of excellent self planned "to/from" routes in this area. A "hub", be it motel and/or camping, should be settled on before too long so reservations can be made ?????

Not trying to manipulate the itinerary...., just throwing out more info. :)

16 days later....

Getting the feeling this is a dead issue with no follow-up ? :(

If this was to be a three day-er, it's getting a bit late to put in for a day off work.

16 days later....
Getting the feeling this is a dead issue with no follow-up ? :(

If this was to be a three day-er, it's getting a bit late to put in for a day off work.

I'm sorry, it's not dead. I didn't see your message.

I've PM'd with Bill a couple of times on the side because this thread was not overly active. I've been crazy busy with 100 different things and don't have a lot of time to spend on the board at the moment.

The dates are 16th - 18th (Sat - Mon). If you can get Friday the 15th off and prefer that, I'm still flexible, but I thought a short week after the ride might be nice. Anyone who'd like to come along is welcome, FJR or no.

I have a backroads route out to Baker City - in discussing with Bill, Baker City seemed to have best options for motelling it. I'm not on my home machine at the moment, but I can send you an image of that if you'd like (shoot me a PM if so). I do have a route through the Hell's Canyon area, but it sounded like Bill also knows his way around a bit, so may pick his brain.

I'm hoping to spend more time finalizing this over the long weekend. My apologies for the delay - things have been nuts lately.

@FJRJeff -

So...finally talked to some buddies that live over that way. For that time of year, they're thinking if it's clear skies, you can expect temps in the low 40s, upper 30s in the morning, all the way up to 80 or so in the afternooon. Sounds like a pretty broad range.

I didn't ask about snow, but since it was falling on Mt. Hood yesterday...

I can't make the trip. That's the one weekend we don't have plans this month and I will also have been gone the whole previous work week on some business out of town. I just want to hang out at the house with my daughter (and wife!). Have a great time.

@FJRJeff -
So...finally talked to some buddies that live over that way. For that time of year, they're thinking if it's clear skies, you can expect temps in the low 40s, upper 30s in the morning, all the way up to 80 or so in the afternooon. Sounds like a pretty broad range.

I didn't ask about snow, but since it was falling on Mt. Hood yesterday...

I can't make the trip. That's the one weekend we don't have plans this month and I will also have been gone the whole previous work week on some business out of town. I just want to hang out at the house with my daughter (and wife!). Have a great time.

I've been seeing a LOT of t-storms out that way.... should be calmer through September. Sorry you won't be along, but understand family!

:clapping: We need to get a new count on those that want to do this ride. Please make a new post confirming your intent. Especially for reservations. The weather is always going to be up in the air. Plan on rain and come prepared therefore when it doesn't rain, as usual, you will be much happier. It's the Pacific North Wet you know.

FJRJEFF called this event and now has a few suggestions from a couple ridders that have ridden the area before and he should make a final "Official Route" out and back. We all don't have to do the "offical route" but we may want to hook up on the way or vary on the way back, etc. :D :coolsmiley03: :coolsmiley03:

I would prefer to ride out WA hwy 14 to Biggs and then over to Fossil, if FJRJEFF wants to go out US 26. Someone else may be comming from the North and others from the South.????java script:add_smilie(" :coolsmiley03: ","smid_55")

coolsmiley03.png

How about a common Motel? Along with the new count we can make group rates at some. The smaller ones may also give group rates just to fill the place up. Here is a listing of motels from the CofC:

(basic Super 8 runs like $59+).

https://www.baker-chamber.com/MemberCategor...dging.htm#motel

BRIDGE STREET INN

PHONE: [1] 541-523-6571

BUDGET INN

PHONE: [1] 541-523-6324

EL DORADO INN

PHONE: [1] 541-523-6494

OREGON TRAIL MOTEL

PHONE: [1] 541-523-5844

SUPER 8

PHONE: [1] 541-523-8282

SUNRIDGE INN INC

PHONE: [1] 541-523-6444

WESTERN MOTEL

PHONE: [1] 541-523-3700

Lets light up this page with your interest. :yahoo:

:clapping: We need to get a new count on those that want to do this ride. Please make a new post confirming your intent. Especially for reservations. The weather is always going to be up in the air. Plan on rain and come prepared therefore when it doesn't rain, as usual, you will be much happier. It's the Pacific North Wet you know.
FJRJEFF called this event and now has a few suggestions from a couple ridders that have ridden the area before and he should make a final "Official Route" out and back. We all don't have to do the "offical route" but we may want to hook up on the way or vary on the way back, etc. :D :coolsmiley03: :coolsmiley03:

I would prefer to ride out WA hwy 14 to Biggs and then over to Fossil, if FJRJEFF wants to go out US 26. Someone else may be comming from the North and others from the South.????java script:add_smilie(" :coolsmiley03: ","smid_55")

coolsmiley03.png

How about a common Motel? Along with the new count we can make group rates at some. The smaller ones may also give group rates just to fill the place up. Here is a listing of motels from the CofC:

(basic Super 8 runs like $59+).

https://www.baker-chamber.com/MemberCategor...dging.htm#motel

BRIDGE STREET INN

PHONE: [1] 541-523-6571

Lets light up this page with your interest. :yahoo:
Bridge Street Inn just replied to an email I sent and advised of there room rates:

Hi my name is Jill, Mr.Hattan Our room rate is one person one bed is 33.00 +

8% tax Two person one bed is 38.00 + 8% tax two bed two person + is 45.00 +

8% tax

Please call 1 800 932 9220 if you're come in to Baker City We love to have

you here. we also have good cont, breakfast. and we're right in downtown

Bridge Street Inn just replied to an email I sent and advised of there room rates:
Hi my name is Jill, Mr.Hattan Our room rate is one person one bed is 33.00 +

8% tax Two person one bed is 38.00 + 8% tax two bed two person + is 45.00 +

8% tax

Please call 1 800 932 9220 if you're come in to Baker City We love to have

you here. we also have good cont, breakfast. and we're right in downtown
I can vouch for the Bridge Street Inn, I've stayed there the third weekend in September for the last 5 or 6 years. Its cheap, close to food, and decent enough for me. Usually no reservations are required, but...

The third weekend in September is an annual sabmag ride hosted by a couple of maggots in Baker City and they have sold off everything to spend all of next year on the road. Last year we had 3 or four FJR riders all V4 lovers that could not stomach the ST13. This year could be the end of an era.

In previous years we've ridden Hells Canyon and surrounding roads. This year we're undecided but probably be riding some local roads like Dooley Mtn. and others to the west of Baker City. We BBQ in Baker City Saturday night.