Helmet talk....what are you wearing??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shark RSI - light and comfy after it broke in. Quality Piece. Definite Long oval type

2 Scorp EXO-400s. - heavier but very comfortable from day 1. Great Helmet for the $$$. Medium Oval

HJC Half

Zeus 508 Fscuffed up paint..thinking about painting it camo black or reflective paint (i know polar opposites right?)

DOT German Helmet just for fun

I have an Icon somethingorother as my backups-backup. I bought this because the helmet I had almost pulled off my head during my first ever road trip and I decided that I needed a new one on the spot.

Once I started riding considerably more I decided that I needed a helmet that breathed easier so I got an Arai Signet GTR which I love but I've had for several years so it is now the official backup helmet.

My daily wear is a Bell Star which is a very nice helmet, flows air to the point of needing ear plugs for anything more than a quick ride. Stable at speed, looks good and was fairly inexpensive.

RCook

Nolan N102 and Shoei RF1000

Nolan N102:

The good: Great shield (pinlock), I like the chin latch.

The bad: Heavy to the point of causing neck fatigue (previous broken neck and bad disks), Noisey, Lost it's shape and rattled after 6 months.

Shoei RF1000:

The Good: Fits my head correctly, comfortable, much lighter than the Nolan (gives me no pain in the neck). Cheap lid considering a couple newer models have been released ($200.00).

The Bad: The stock screen fogs up easily. Always venting the shield to clear. Will be replaced with a Pinlock shield after posting this, while I'm thinking about it.

Nolan N102

Good: Modular

Bad: Noise, weight, fogs up when shield is closed, shield cracked at top prematurely. Getting hard to open the helmet, may need some lub.

Looking to find a better helmet. This post is giving lots of good feedback on possible options.

Was a 20+ yr. ARAI fan and still am except that has expanded to include SHOEI now! It's a toss up between my corsair and RF! Love them both. Vemar -ehh, cheap helmet (for sale if anyone is interested, cheap. Hardly worn.)! HJC, wife likes it. all that matters.

SHOEI RF1100 11/09

ARAI Corsair 03/05

VEMAR Carbon 00/07

HJC CL-14 03/03 (Past due for a new one for the wife)

2636264930086768460S500x500Q85.jpg

KM
Nice paint job.

I just bought the Symax and hope it's comfortable for the long haul, love the idea of the modular, but I think i may wind up getting a Shoei or Arai Modular before June as the Symax seems to be a bit too close to my mouth with the chin bar for my comfort and want to see if that gets better as the helmet breaks in...
Have you tried on the Shoei modular? My hairy chin brushes against the Multitec chin bar, same as with the HJC modular. There is less chin bar distance in the Multitec compared to the RF-1000. Then again, mine is not broken in yet so perhaps that will change some.

BTW, I have one less helmet as of a few hours ago. A guy bought the older HJC I had listed on CL B) Only have 3 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought the Symax and hope it's comfortable for the long haul, love the idea of the modular, but I think i may wind up getting a Shoei or Arai Modular before June as the Symax seems to be a bit too close to my mouth with the chin bar for my comfort and want to see if that gets better as the helmet breaks in...
Have you tried on the Shoei modular? My hairy chin brushes against the Multitec chin bar, same as with the HJC modular. There is less chin bar distance in the Multitec compared to the RF-1000. Then again, mine is not broken in yet so perhaps that will change some.

Same experience here. My Multitech's chin bar does seem to be closer to my mouth than both the RF1000 and X-11. The Mutitech also fits slightly looser than the other 2. (All 3 are size Large). Also, the RF1000 is just very slightly looser than the X-11. I did weigh all 3 and was surprised to find that the RF1000 was apprx. 1.5 oz lighter than the X-11.

Shark RSI Alien. I used to wear Shoei RF 900. This helmet is the most comfortable I have had from day one. Low noise and OK venting. The paint is great and has taken several door frame hits at work without scuffing or scratching.

Shoei Multitec - fits well with glasses. Low noise. Chin bar a little closer to the chin than I'd prefer, but all in all a good helmet.

I wear an HJC Symax II and I like it so much that I cleaned out my stock of old helmets a few months ago. I disposed of a Zeus flip face that I was wearing during a low speed crash, an old Simpson full face, and an even older Bell 3/4. I got a new HJC for my wife recently as well.

I had a symax, but found it too "bulbous" on my head, and too much buffeting/noise. Never tried the Symax II. I'm guessing they improved the symax in the making of the II. Does it have good ventilation?
Had the Symax II, too much noise/buffeting, sold it to my neighbor. Now have a Shark RS-1 and a Scorpion EXO 400, much better!

Flat Black Bell Star...lightest most comfotable helmet I have ever had....since the 70's. Bit noisy. but I am nearly deaf by now anyway. :ph34r:

Flat Black Bell Star...lightest most comfotable helmet I have ever had....since the 70's. Bit noisy. but I am nearly deaf by now anyway. :ph34r:
I've been using a Nolan N103 for a year now. Easy on easy off and the VPS sunshade works well. Of course after a few tweaks, O-rings behind the hinge pivot keep the sheild up now and the padding in the front left a mark on my forehead (a 1/8" off the edge fixed that. It's works pretty well now but it is a lot noisier than I care for. I'm thinking of trying a Shoei RF1100, a friend of mine has one and really loves it.

Shoei X-11 bought in early '04, it is semi retired now. Loved this helmet.

Arai Profile bought in late '08. I wanted a permanent CB radio headset installed in the best helmet I could get, no one would do a Shoei full face so I went with this Arai.

Arai RX-7 Corsair bought in late '09.

After having the X-11 for so long and loving, I was surprised to find that the Arai fit my head better, thus, the second Arai w/o the CB cable sticking out of the side for my none CB rides.

Other than the fit to my head, I find the X-11 to be better in every other way - too bad. In particular, the Arai shield system sucks big time. Absolutely no comparison to the Shoei shield.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Came from an Arai Quantum II after six years (great helmet) to a Shoei RF-1100 last fall--love it. Fits well and is quiet.

I where an Arai Profile Sinister helmet as my main one. I also have an AGV XR-2 as a back-up and a couple Buell branded Shoei Helmets as collectibles.