Helmet-to-Helmet intercoms - what are you using?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
I've been researching this on and off this week. Lots of choice it seems, now.

What are folks in here using for helmet to helmet chatter? Thinking mostly for use when two-up riding.

I *think* I'd like a bluetooth or similar setup to avoid wires, but open to commentary based on experience on this.

I've been using this system for years with pretty good results. https://collettcommunicators.com/ The VOX works fine, but the music fidelity is so so, although I haven't upgraded to the Stereo unit so they might be better. A few years ago, I ended up with two complete systems and have the Mrs. use one so we are wireless by using the two way radio for a same bike intercom. When we're traveling with another rider(s) she can also talk on the two way. We have not had any feedback or tx issues even though the two transmitters are only a foot or two apart. HTH.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Autocom, yes there are wires but the sound is clear no batteries worry about. there is a new one for sale on this fourm.

I run with the Starcom advance (bought through Jeff at bikeeffects) Fantastic!!!!! I run my Garmin 2820 through it for music and my bluetooth LG through that for phone calls. Both the Starcom and Autocom are very comparable. You will not be dissapointed in either. Very clear communication with your passenger.

I've been using the J&M Integratr. Works great for me. I put the voice sensitivity at it's lowest because at a higher sensitivity, a strong gust of wind while I'm riding on the highway will set it off and then it tends not to turn off thinking that we're still talking. Other-wise, I just make a quick loud, "Hey" before speaking anything and it works fine.

Also has tons of plugs on it. I typically run my Garmin through the GPS part, and have my phone playing MP3s through the aux port or the built-in radio on. I really like that it's a separate system from the bike and I just strap it around my jacket and bring it inside or put it in the topbox when I'm not on the bike. It'll make it easier in the future for when I get a second bike to use it on whichever I'm riding, and can keep it and move it over easier if I ever have to replace a bike.

Alexi

A set of Chatterbox XBi2 units bought separately used off Craigslist ads. One cost $100 and the other cost $80, plus about $10 shipping each. Doesn't have built in FM, but they BT from my BBY and with an A2DP dongle, they do get the stereo music from my bike-mounted radio. With the XBi2 we can have the bikes a lot further apart than we normally ride and still talk.

Another plus is that you can replace the headset. I didn't like the speakers and the mic touched my lips so just plugged in a stereo headset that has a mic from JBUD. Can't do that with many of the units.

Downside to any of the BT units is that you need to recharge batteries at some point. The XBi2s charge pretty quick.

I've been very happy with the Autocomm setup for music, intercom, GPS and bike-bike comm. Now that Starcom owns Autocomm, there might be some marrying of the technology between the two, which would be great.

No experience with bluetooth, and honesty haven't found the single cable from helmet to bike to be a problem.

YMMV, etc...

Griff

I have been using the J&M JMCB-2003 and it has Bluetooth available. Not the cheapest unit to get in to but it is easy to install and has the CB radio for bike to bike communication.

Scala Q2 Teamset

Not perfect, but good. For the price paid ($0) it is flipping fantastic. :yahoo:

If I was buying, I'd be looking at something more sofistimacated like Autocomm or Bikercom.

If all you're looking for is intercom between you and the pillion, then a Chatterbox style setup would be the most cost effective, not to mention easiest. If bike-to-bike, music, radar detector, gps, etc are future possibilities, then a Starcom/Autocom setup would be best (I believe that J&M is in this catagory also).

Between the Starcom and Autocom, I chose Starcom. I went with the Starcom because it has a volume control that you can mount on the handlebars and Autocom didn't. Other than that, they look very similar on paper. Also, I have heard that Autocom no longer sells or has representatives in the U.S....? No experience here with Chatterbox.

I have an Autocom system on my bike, and am very happy with it. The wires are minimally bothersome and the quality is top notch.

Scala Rider Teamset. Very economical, easy to install and works very well. It is bluetooth capable as well.

I use the collett bluetooth system. You do have a battery to deal with and it is wired to the passenger. The bluetooth works well for the cell phone and I use my cell for music while riding. The downside to the bluetooth on the collett system is that it does not allow for calls out. The bike to bike communication is very good also.

Scala G4 teamset. Only tried it in the bed room, and so far, it works great for itnercom. The pairing of cell phones was great...until my phone starting locking up. But that's not the G4s fault. Its been doing that lately, and with a bluetooth device on top, it just craps out more often. I need a new phone. (dont get the Omnia sch-910i - it's been a disaster for me - time to pack it up and do a second return, so i can get another refurb :p ...wonder when Verizon will just give me another phone)

I picked up the Chatterbox HJC-FRS with stock ear pieces and mic's. The VOX works ok, as the wind noise increases you have to readjust for the background noise, with knob right there is easy to do. Has plenty of volume on the MP3 side and nice stereo. got the FRS part so could communicate with others, that have the walkie-talkies, or bike2bike ( haven't go to use yet ) they claim 2 mile, but line of sight have got 5+, with walkie-talkie not sure yet on a mountain road yet, still working on that. At this point happy with it all, but like normal....... subject to change with time !!!