Helmets with integral sun visors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi all

can anyone advise me how many of the helmet manfacturers are now doing intergral sun visors. A riding buddy of mine has a HJC with one and just loves it

Regards

Gary

HJC has the SyMax II, Nolan's N103, and the Schuberth C3 are three that come to mind. I have owned Nolan and HJC. I looked into buying the Schuberth, but their L and XL models just did not fit me anywhere close to right.

I like having a built in sun visor, but proper fit trumps the sun shade, and for any modular helmet, secure closure is critical too.

My current favorite is the Shoei Multi-Tec. It has no built in sun shade, but it fits me better than any of the others, and the closure is the most secure of any of tried.

I also use a Shoei Hornet DS for rides behind a windshield. It has no slide into place sun screen, but it literally has a built in bill that helps to uct down glare. I use this one not for the glare reduction, but because as a dual sport helmet, it has filtration which cuts down allergens that congest me during ragweed season, or when leaf mold count is high. The sun blocking capability of the bill is an extra bonus, but without a good wind screen, it isn't comfortable above 70 mph due to wind drag.

Gary - I have and like it very much the HJC IS-16. I came from three past Arai's. I tried on three different helmets with the sun visors. I do not care for the "flip" helmets, I only tried full face. The HJC IS-16 was my pick due to how far the visor came down to protect glarre from down low. Could still use improvement IMO (see whining below).

The Pros:

1) Good fitting helmet.

2) Great visibility.

3) Very light helmet.

4) Visor is simple to work etc.

5) Great price (I got mine for like $135 on sale and shipped to me, normal price online about $179?).

The whining:

1) I wish the sun visor covered more of the eye area like sun glasses.

2) I wish the shade was darker (I believ they are coming out with a darker one, been waiting for two months as they keep delaying the new visor roll out).

I did like the Scorpion; however, the helmet is etremely heavy IMO, the colors stink, at the time the price was way too high, about $350. They are now on sale at Cycle Gear for $99.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Schubert C3 (used by my wife and somtimes by me when I am driving alone) and also Shoei Multi-tec. Reason to go for C3 was exactly that C3 has integrated sun visor. But my experience is so that Multi-tec with half-dark visor works as good as C3. My expectation for C3 was a bit higher...

I purchased the HJC Symax II and sent it back. I wear corrective glasses with the transition sun glass built in. When I put the sun shield down, it shut off my transitions. The sun shield wasn't dark enough, so I was then squinting. The other deal breaker was I like to ride with the shield open most of the time and the wind would blow it shut very easily. I have 2 inexpensive HJC CL max flip helmets(discontinued I believe) that have a strong shield positioning system that I really like. Don't know what I will purchase when they wear out.

The HJC IS-Max I currently own has the three position sunshield which is an improvement over the older units.

Those tended to bounce off me beak when dropped down. I do agree the shied needs to be darker.. About worthless in full sun.

Gary - I have and like it very much the HJC IS-16.

The whining:

1) I wish the sun visor covered more of the eye area like sun glasses.
I've got the same helmet Gary and I like it a lot. In case you didn't know, the sun visor has 3 positions, not 2. To get to the third position down, you need to hold down the release button and move the lever full forward. In this position, the visor near touches the bridge of my nose.

IMG_0068.jpg

This pic it was on the second notch.

One other benefit of the sun visor:

You know how you warn on-coming bikes of radar behind you by tapping your head (you DO do this don't you?). Well I was doing it one day and much to my surprise while I was doing it, I passed a cop sitting on the side of the road. I guess that had a little sting going on. Well the cop pulls out behind me lights me up.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No. I believe I was under the speed limit" (Which was true, I was behind somebody)

"It's an offense to warn somebody of radar enforcement."

I gave him my best WTF are you talking about look. Even though that's exactly what I was doing.

He says "Look, I ride, I know what tapping the helmet means"

I start laughing and and tell him I was flipping my visor down. Then I show him.

"Get out of here" he says obviously a bit pissed off.

See ya!

The poor man's alternative is a Sun Blocker. My wife has used one for years and she really likes it.

The picture is a clickable link:

It is essentially auto window tint that has been die cut to fit the face shields of various helmets. My wife uses the Sun Blocker on her Arai helmet and the die cut tint fits exactly around the vents in the face shield.

IS-Max...liked mine so much, I bought my daughter one

It's great to not have wring one's hands over what to wear...sunglasses or clear glasses which I always wear one or the other

When in doubt, I just go with the clear glasses and have the sunshade available (I ride alot with the visor up for ventilation and air on my face)

New Enough is starting to offer 10% off total order coupons again (slow Winter season)

I and others are a big big fan of www.newenough.com

(sorry, no pic of sunshade deployed)

4886283803_5fee551500.jpg

4886283809_8ddbd1670c.jpg

I prefer a modular helmet. Currently I wear an HJC Symax II and like it a lot.

Someone mentioned the Scorpion 1000 above, Scorpion also makes an EXO-900 modular with an integral visor. This will probably be my next helmet. My kids wear Scorpions and like them, and I like the features of the 900, and it comes in neon yellow to match my jacket. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Scorpion EXO 1000 too. I am very sensitive to bright light so the visor doesn't really do a whole lot for me when the sun is lower in the sky, like dawn, dusk, winter. But it's better than nothing when I forget my regular sunglasses. They need to make them block UV though. And polarize them. And darken them. Then they would rock.

I picked up a Zox Genesis SVS when they came out a few years ago and have been extremely happy with it. Others on this forum have had some negative comments about it but my experience has been good. I commute 25 miles on twisty secondary roads with miles of tree lined lanes and open fields. In the morning I'm headed East into the sun and West into it on the way home. The constant changes in lighting made me go for the fighter pilot style sunshade as sunglasses are too dark under the trees and the sun can be blinding in the open. I also like flip ups when touring with others, being able to talk at stop lights and not needing to remove the helmet at gas stops.

I like that the shield actuator is conveniently on the left side. The main shield has good detents for cracking open to vent and it doesn't leak in the rain. Plenty of room for speakers if your inclined. The flip up is easy open with one gloved hand and the cool max liner is easily removable for cleaning. It comes with a removable snap in chin spoiler for colder weather.

I've read the reports of the older Nevado's latch problems but I've never had the issue.

That said, I stopped by my local window tint shop, picked up a scrap and made my own visor strip on the top edge of the main shield. Between the stripp and the drop down shield I can deal with all conditions.

Whatever you choose try it on first. I tried on the Nolan 103 and couldn't find one that fit my square head, same with the Scorpion.

Helmet Harbor review of the Zox Genesis SVS

I've owned Nolan modular (Model ?), HJC Symax II, and now have the Shark.

Nolan was great, as the visor is external and easy to use. (Accidently kicked / dropped the helmet real hard. Had to get rid of it.)

HJC Symax II was also good. Enjoyed the helmet. Probably the best sun-shield in the bunch. (Bike fell over onto the helmet... had to get rid of it.)

Now using the Shark, and really enjoy it! It's a 3/4 or full-face, and the face shield and sun visor can be used in either configuration. Having the 3/4 option, with chin bar moved to the back of the helmet and still have the face shield or sun visor only, is nice. (No weight noticed, no catching the wind.) (Only gripe about this sun-shield, is I wish it extended down a bit farther... seems a bit too short.)

(Nolan and Symax are not rated as 3/4 helmets. Shark is. Definite advantage over the other two, having had them all.)

True on all 3 about the sunscreen(s) not activating the photo-gray glasses, though. (All of them are polarized, thus your UV-sensitive glasses lenses won't activate.)

Good luck with any decision.

I didn't know it when I purchased my IS-Max helmets, but HJC offers three different sun visors for $25 each

stock is smoke and I agree, it's not very dark...maybe half as much as my sunglasses

then there's yellow hi-def and a dark smoke which I'd be real interested in

I'd like to try the dark smoke first, though...in the brilliance of summer (July !) here, I ride with both sunglasses and the sun visor down

HJC HJ-V5 Replacement Sun Visors

Use With: These sun visors will work with HJC Symax II, IS-16, IS-Max and IS-33 helmets.

https://www.newenough.com/street/helmets_and_eyewear/replacement_shields/hjc/sun_visor_for_sy_max_ii_motorcycle_helmets.html

hope this helps someone.

Ride Safe,

Mike in Nawlins'

I use a Nolan 102 and love it. I would never go back to a helmet without an sun visor. When it's time to change lids, I'll go with a 103. It has an internal visor vs. an external one on the 102. Mine gets dirty and scratches easily. Very convenient easy to use.

I have the HJC IS-Max in XL and love it. Very comfortable and relatively quiet. I do ride with ear plugs. As stated previously, the stock sun visor is not dark enough. But it's an adequate supplement to my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses when riding towards the sun. I previously owned a Jarow with a sunshade, but the chin piece was too close to my chin. The HJC provides much more clearance. Purchased from NewEnough at a very reasonable price.

Bob

The poor man's alternative is a Sun Blocker. My wife has used one for years and she really likes it.

The picture is a clickable link:

It is essentially auto window tint that has been die cut to fit the face shields of various helmets. My wife uses the Sun Blocker on her Arai helmet and the die cut tint fits exactly around the vents in the face shield.
+1 I recently got one of these as well before a trip to Texas. I still had to wear sunglasses, but it was very nice and did a good job dulling the bright sun as I headed toward it.

I have a Scorpion EXO-900, earlier had Nolan 102, Symax II. The EXO is better made, IMHO. When they figure out how not to have them vibrate/buzz and put diopters in for those who need reading glasses, I might use it. Didn't know they were polarized, and that might cause issues with GPS screens. Mostly I don't like plastic lenses and much prefer my Serengeti driving lenses. I have a Sun Blocker die cut strip on the top of my visor, but I mostly have it cracked open two or three notches.