Help! Electrical Gremlins - Engine won't start, funny indicators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Mike

Reaction score
Help... not sure where to go from here......

I have a 2011 FJR that has a problem I can't seem to fix. I can drive the bike and everything works fine. I go back to it, maybe an hour later and try to start it. The first time it starts, but both turn indicators are on solid, the high beam indicator is on (but the switch is in the off position) and the headlight is not lit. The engine runs fine. When I turn it off and then try and restart it it will not start at all. Nothing, nada.

I have checked the battery and that is fine, the voltage is good. So I figured it was a grounding problem. I took all the tupperware off and found all those stinking, hiding spiders. (Thanks Blake for helping me!) They all looked good. I used dielectric grease on all 8 of them and made sure the connections were all good. No burnt terminals... all clean and shiny. I also replugged most of the other connectors just to make sure they had a good connection.

Not sure where to go next. Ignition switch? Starter switch? Or... the computer?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Captain Mike

I have checked the battery and that is fine, the voltage is good. So I figured it was a grounding problem.
1) Were the battery terminals tight?

2) Voltage doesn't confirm the battery is good. A toasted battery with no load will have great voltage.

3) Ground spiders supposedly do not happen after 2009.

There has been a case just recently of a spider bite on a 2010.

Also a S7 bite on a 2012

However Captain Mike's bike may have a crook Front Cowling Connector #3.

It can have exactly the same symptoms as a S4 spider Bite.

The cowling connector is down by the S6 spider and has the daisy chained neutral circuit , ie a black neutral wire, from spiders 6,7 & 8.

Also wise to remember that dielectric grease is an insulator and can make a crook pin in a connector worse.

Carbon grease is a far better substitute on the neutral connectors and use wisely on connectors with different circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have checked the battery and that is fine, the voltage is good. So I figured it was a grounding problem.
1) Were the battery terminals tight?

2) Voltage doesn't confirm the battery is good. A toasted battery with no load will have great voltage.

3) Ground spiders supposedly do not happen after 2009.
Operative word "supposedly"???

I'd check the wiring connector from the left handlebar switches. It's under the tank and out front just inside the steering head. Power from the headlight circuit is bleeding over to the turn signal and high beam indicator light circuits at this connector. Water can get into that area from the openings in the frame on either side of the steering head.

Follow the wiring bundle on the left handlebar down into the frame area under the tank and then locate the wiring connector.

I will look at that cable and see if I see anything. I have looked through most every one though. I will spend this rainy day looking through things. If this doesn't work I am resigned to take it to the shop.... I have just about blown my wad on this problem.

That is at least three people with that specific problem. I would recommend that anyone who has the side plastics off should have a CLOSE look at that connector. Mine looked slightly burned but not awful. Still bad enough to cause a problem.