Help! Fuel Injector o-ring sea failed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_wheeled

Reaction score
I popped up the tank to find an intake air leak.  Took only a couple minutes to find it.  
The fuel injector o-ring seal on the right most injector is cracked and pushing itself out.  Huge intake air leak.  I’ve never touched the fuel rail before so this is unexpected.  33K miles on my 2007.

Anyway, any ideas where I can quickly get new o-ring seals without special ordering them and waiting a week??

I’m in Phoenix if that helps.

Now I have to figure out how to get the injector out.  I have the service manual but it's telling me to take the whole bike apart.  Would appreciate any input on "gotcha's" to watch out for while I try to lift the fuel rail and remove just this one injector.  Thanks.

Got it out.  Looks like I'm down for the count until I can get new seals shipped.  These aren't regular o-rings.

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

**SOLVED!**

OK that was easy.  I found that my local Auto Zone stocks universal fuel injector seal kits by Dorman. 

Dorman part # 90100 https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18725-90100.aspx

These worked perfectly.  I replaced all four injector seals with this $10 kit and she's purring like a kitten again.

I was going to delete this post but I don't see that as an option so I'll leave my solution out here for the next guy to reference.  Enjoy.

p.jpeg

Good result. 
As for a "gotcha", when I took my fuel rail off I didn't notice the two spacers:

(Click on image for larger view)

They originally stayed sat in position, could easily have fallen into unretrievable oblivion. 
(Pic from my cruise control installation)

(By the way, you can't link a photo from Dropbox)

Photo of (dirty) FJR injector, courtesy of dcarver.

1-1.jpg

Nice selection of parts.  If you look at a Yamaha parts fiche (or the above photo), it shows a "gasket" at the bottom of the injector and an "o-ring" at the top.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2011/fjr1300a-fjr13aas/intake-2

From FSM:

Capture.jpg

The FSM says to replace the o-ring each time but not the bottom gasket.  Do parts from this kit replace both the gasket and the o-ring?  Picture below is from the Dorman website posted by two_wheeled.  Glad you got it sorted out.

90100-007.JPG

Phooey, I can see my dropbox images but apparently others can't.  I also couldn't edit any of these posts until this one.  Not sure why.  I've been a member for years but  my status got reset when the website got reset.  Anyway, here are my photos, just for clarity.

Yes the Dorman kit included both the lower seal and the upper o-ring. 

VjUK85V.jpg

2QP4vhT.jpg

SNph5YM.jpg

So, the split was in the bottom gasket,  not the top o-ring. Can't see how that could happen spontaneously. Are you the original owner.  Wonder if it was a factory problem or the result of some maintenance gone wrong.  I have never encountered a problem with injector lower gaskets or top o-rings. Good catch in finding the problem. 

Good find with the Dorman kit...filing that away for future reference.

Nice job finding and solving the problem!

~G

So, the split was in the bottom gasket,  not the top o-ring. Can't see how that could happen spontaneously. Are you the original owner.  Wonder if it was a factory problem or the result of some maintenance gone wrong.  I have never encountered a problem with injector lower gaskets or top o-rings. Good catch in finding the problem. 
Me either!  I've never heard of this happening before, and I've worked on a LOT of cars in my life.  I've never even been close to the injectors on this bike.  I did a valve clearance check at 25k but didn't have to adjust anything. 

I bought it in like-new pristine condition 5+ years ago with full service records and less than 10K miles on it.  It now has ~35K miles on it.  I think the original gasket just dried out and cracked.  The intake air leak was sufficient enough that I could hear the puff-puff-puff sound at the intake.  The bike would cough at idle but was mostly smooth above idle.  I located the leak with carburetor cleaner spray while the bike was idling. 

So strange.  Not sure if you can see this, but here's a picture of the cracked seal in place before I touched it.  Very strange indeed.

i1a05Yf.jpg