HELP!!! I think I am going to Kill myself

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I have 2 cents here.

First, as an AE owner I can tell you your problem if not the fact that it is an AE. Pretend there are 1000 positions for your wrist (throttle) and each is incremental. Only turn the throttle one increment at a time. NEVER dash out into traffic or allow yourself to feel hurried. The people behind you can WAIT!

I took the MSF, got my endorsement, and bought a GL1800 Goldwing off the showroom floor and drove it home scared to death. TAKE YOUR TIME in everything you do. If it is not gravel or otherwise slippery ignore the grade of the road when starting out. The tires will take it.

To me it sounds like you are scared of the bike... That will probably keep you alive. I disagree to a great extent that a smaller bike is better. They all weigh the same once moving.

Let me repeat. I know how you feel. It was a few weeks before pulling out into traffic did not scare me.

1000 increments to the wrist, use them one at a time. You dont "Twist" the throttle,, you increment it until the bike is moving forward, same letting off if you ad to much. increments

Traffic,,,, Take your time pulling out............. If there are folks waiting behind you.... the can wait... NEVER feel rushed to accomodate a vehicle or anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a new 07 AE rider myself I would agree it takes a bit to get used to the differences. I myself had a R1100RT (about 45k on it, year around) so the move the the FJR was not hard at all but each to it own.... I do have to go on a large part of gravel on every ride as I live on out a large gravel road ( I am too cheap for pavement :) ) and I would recommend a few tips:

1. keep it slow in 1st (you would be surprised how many go waaay to fast)

2. Keep both legs ready for assistance to hold the bike up.

3. Don't hold your bars super tight. Let the bike move with the road/gravel. Don't fight the bike.

4. Be very careful with your front brake, since at slow speeds and gravel.....your front wheel is on glass.

Over the years I have not had any issues with my road (quick knock on some wood) however I have had some close times.

See that you admit you need help/have a issue is very good and I think just getting rid of the bike is a bit quick. I would work more on your honda and have a friend that can ride the FJR help you more in controlled areas (parking lots). I would also get cones and ride the heck out of the honda in the gravel at slow, slow speeds. Make it a game with the cones, see if how tight of turns you can do. So when you go back to the FJR and ride slow and controlled you will feel much more at ease.

Brian Faure

Liberty Hill, Texas

IF you decide that the FJR is not the bike for you, as another member suggested, the Suzuki VStrom 650 would be an excellent choice. Very light and lots of accessories for touring available. They're a little tall in the saddle, but there are lowering solutions as well. As it is in the "adventure bike" category, gravel roads will be less of a problem.

Hi Art. Here's the bottom line dude... you've bitten off more bike than you can [currently] chew. Plus you've added the operational complexity of the AE model to your learning curve. Art, you are venturing down a very dangerous road my friend! And riding your FJR on gravel roads? WTF is that? Even seasoned experienced FJR riders can have problems riding the FJR in gravel! Riding in gravel (especially loose gravel) is like begging to fall. Unless it's absolutely necessary, why do it? The FJR is a street bike. Keep it on the street (as in, asphalt and concrete)!

Your physical size & weight are not your problem. There are smaller people [than you] on this forum that successfully ride the FJR, with a high level of confidence and precision. The main issue is - you [currently] don't have a healthy physical and mental level of riding confidence that is critical to keeping yourself, as well as others around you, alive.

As I read your post it brought back memories of me learning to drive at car, some 40+ years ago. Luckily I was learning in an old beat up Ford and not a 500hp Corvette - which is exactly what you're attempting to do with your FJR.

Your posts indicate you're somewhat worried that a smaller bike won't provide the level of performance you're seeking. Believe me, at this stage of the game performance is the last thing you should be worried about. Very few successful riders started out riding a high performance bike. And for the few that took that course, it was dangerous one. And riding a high performance bike in and around the crowded Manassas, Virginia area? It's next to impossible to fully exercise a high performance bike in heavy traffic areas like that.

But I'd like to congratulate you. You have a lot of guts coming clean with your riding issues and asking for help. And the title of your Post is absolutely right on too, "HELP!!! I think I am going to kill myself." If you keep on your present course, the chances are, you may. Or worse yet, you may end up hurting or killing others. Your FJR should be FUN, but it doesn't sound like you're having much fun.

Here's my suggestions. Even though it may be an ego buster for you, either sell your FJR and buy something you feel comfortable riding. Or park your FJR for several months, buy a 2nd smaller bike that you feel very comfortable on, and build up your riding skills. Then go back to the FJR only when (or if) you're comfortable with it.

Riding is dangerous enough under normal circumstances, without multiplying the danger by not being able to properly control the bike.

In any case, good luck Art!

SR-71

Art,

i went from a suzuki 800 marauder to the 07 fjr ae and at first i had similar problems.

i'm 5'9" but weighed about 240 when i bought it(down to bout 230 now). you can master the fjr, it just takes a little time and a lot of practice. there is no way i would trade my ae for any other bike now

if you want you can pm me and i will try and help you get thru this.

btw i park my ae in my shop behind the house and i have to ride thru mud and grass to get to the road (which means i probably have one of the muddiest fjr's known to man ;) )

hang in there and in the word's of the guy from "the waterboy"

"YOU CAN DO IT"

This thread has to be a hoax. "I put 2000 miles on a Rebel", and then moved up to an FJR? WTF? This can't be true, Art's screwing with us. <_<

When ever I have a confidence issue (new scooter), I pick a time of day when there is no traffic. I love Sat. and Sun. mornings, just after the drunks have retired. That parking lot shit sux.

If the FJR is too tall. than the Strom will be way too tall. Look more at the SV650 Suzuki. I've got one just to play with. It's a little tall but very light and fun to ride. You could always go over to a crusier like the Honda Shadow 750. Very easy and low to the ground.

Hi Art. Here's the bottom line dude... you've bitten off more bike than you can [currently] chew. Plus you've added the operational complexity of the AE model to your learning curve. Art, you are venturing down a very dangerous road my friend! And riding your FJR on gravel roads? WTF is that? Even seasoned experienced FJR riders can have problems riding the FJR in gravel! Riding in gravel (especially loose gravel) is like begging to fall. Unless it's absolutely necessary, why do it? The FJR is a street bike. Keep it on the street (as in, asphalt and concrete)!
Your physical size & weight are not your problem. There are smaller people [than you] on this forum that successfully ride the FJR, with a high level of confidence and precision. The main issue is - you [currently] don't have a healthy physical and mental level of riding confidence that is critical to keeping yourself, as well as others around you, alive.

As I read your post it brought back memories of me learning to drive at car, some 40+ years ago. Luckily I was learning in an old beat up Ford and not a 500hp Corvette - which is exactly what you're attempting to do with your FJR.

Your posts indicate you're somewhat worried that a smaller bike won't provide the level of performance you're seeking. Believe me, at this stage of the game performance is the last thing you should be worried about. Very few successful riders started out riding a high performance bike. And for the few that took that course, it was dangerous one. And riding a high performance bike in and around the crowded Manassas, Virginia area? It's next to impossible to fully exercise a high performance bike in heavy traffic areas like that.

But I'd like to congratulate you. You have a lot of guts coming clean with your riding issues and asking for help. And the title of your Post is absolutely right on too, "HELP!!! I think I am going to kill myself." If you keep on your present course, the chances are, you may. Or worse yet, you may end up hurting or killing others. Your FJR should be FUN, but it doesn't sound like you're having much fun.

Here's my suggestions. Even though it may be an ego buster for you, either sell your FJR and buy something you feel comfortable riding. Or park your FJR for several months, buy a 2nd smaller bike that you feel very comfortable on, and build up your riding skills. Then go back to the FJR only when (or if) you're comfortable with it.

Riding is dangerous enough under normal circumstances, without multiplying the danger by not being able to properly control the bike.

In any case, good luck Art!

SR-71
Wow Art listen to this guy, he took the words right of my yap yap box.!!!

Hi Art. Here's the bottom line dude... you've bitten off more bike than you can [currently] chew.SR-71
Needless to say I have been thinking about this since Sunday. The bottom line is I bit off more then I can chew.

Just to be clear, I have a paved driveway, 50 yards of good gravel and then 100 yards of 1.5 lane paved road before I am on a real road. The heavy gravel is at the other end of my road that I use for "practice".

I used the Rebel in the motorcycle training class and then bought the 75 Honda CB550 Four after that. I had no problems at all with the Honda in terms of weight or height or starting or stopping. I rode it for 2000 miles without a worry or confidence issue at all. I had ridden a Honda CB350 in High School and college for about 10,000 miles years ago.

I didn't like my current Honda on the interstates so I avoided them. And therefore I didn't take it to work except on Saturdays or Sundays. I didn't like the interstates either because I didn't feel the bike could keep up. And it is 33 years old and I didn't want to try and keep up with idiots going 70 mph + on a bike that old.

I wanted something newer and perhaps a little bigger. I went to the DC Motorcycle Show and sat on practically everything except crotch rockets. Actually I sat on them too. And the FJR didn't seem that big on the carpet, and the V-Strom didn't seem that tall on the carpet, and the R1200RT (lowered with all the extras was really nice and damned good looking and felt light).

I was ready to look at the V-Strom and buddies convinced me to go larger (I would regret the lesser HP they said). They all have much more experience them me, so I listened to the advice I was given and took a "leap of faith" and went with the FJR. I would get used to it was the chorus line.

Without a doubt, I will get used to it. I could buy a motorcycle trailer and load it up and cage it to a remote parking lot and practice. I can rely on the help of busy friends that would rather be riding then watching me ride around a parking lot. I can lay it down in my driveway and see if I can pick it up with good footing (does anyone drop a bike where there is good footing?) (I haven't). I am failing to see the fun (as others have said).

So, with little regret (Ok some), I admit that I bit off more then I can chew. I agree with many who said that I can do it (and others have done it before). But the right thing to do is to take a smaller next step. I will relook at the FZ-6 and V-Strom more closely.

I got a buddy that dreams of owning the FJR AE. I am in negotiations right now. He gives me the proceeds from the sale of his bike and the remainer (12000 minus X) is divided by 36 months for an interest free loan. No payment for 6 months. If he run into financial difficulties, skip a payment. I will lose about a thousand, the Skyway sliders are a belated X-Mas present, the G2 is an early Easter present. I will help with the throttle spring adjustment and the Barbarian Mod and anything else he wants to do. He cleans the Honda (because he is really good at it and actually likes it) and the new used bike I get.

If after one year, and he hasn't dropped the bike, I will pay half the cost to repaint the scratched sufaces. Please note that the bike was dropped in gravel and not wrecked in gravel. I think I was going 0.1 mph.

I heard from many that I don't have enough experience. I replied that I drove 2000 miles on the Honda CB550 Four. And then I heard the same thing again. Either you'all don't understand, or I don't. It is me. So, when I buy a more intermediate bike, I will wait 10,000 miles or 2 years (whichever is longer) before considering another bike (unless it is a lateral move). And I will eat more and specifically more protein. I doubt it will do any good, but I will try.

I think I have addressed most concerns that were thoughtfully given. I am an engineer (Mechanical) and once you get the best opinions from the "experts", you then mull them over and make your own decision. Not that I can't learn to ride the FJR right now, it is because I chose not to.

I can't wait to read about the 2010 FJR.

Art

This sounds like a good plan.

You can learn on an FJR, but why force it. Think of lean angle as being like a black hole, once the bike goes over the event horizon it is gone. If you have really good skills you can stay away from the black hole that is always there. However the bigger the bike and the smaller the rider the less the margin of error. I am a strong 210 lbs and almost 6 foot tall and at least twice it took everything I had to not drop the bike at 0.0 mph. If the bike is big enough you have to have a lot of experience to avoid going over the event horizon. 2000 miles is a drop in the bucket as far as building bike skills(z?), particularly the tricky skills of high performance or low speed handling with a big bike.

A good 650 has enough power to take you anywhere. I did multiple 2000 miles trips double with full camping gear on a BMW R90S in the 70s and 80s. A bike like a VStrom, Versys, SV650 will have more power, hp and torque, and capability than my old BMW(s). I put 78,000 miles on that bike, I would never say it was too small and I never outgrew it. My wife has an SV650 and I would go anywhere on that bike tomorrow. I really like the WeeStrom and Versys. I put 15,000 miles on a 1973 CB500 4 cylinder with lots 400 to 500 mile days. I did a 780-mile day on a CB450. The CB450 was a bike I was glad to leave behind :rolleyes: Don't get caught up in the issue of you have to have a big bike to keep up or travel distance.

My other rant, guys that learn to ride a v-twin cruiser are clueless about bike size and power. (I may be making assumptions about your buddies and their recommendations.) For example, a Yamaha 650 VStar sucks, it is way down on power and handles like crap, and you would outgrow it quickly. Your old 550 might actually be a better bike than a 750 v-twin cruiser. A good standard 650 will run circles around almost any cruiser, if you include twisty roads a good 650 standard will leave any cruiser in the dust. Any sport bike is a whole different world from a cruiser. Guys that have only ridden cruisers have no idea about the power and capability of other bikes.

Don't know about the whole sell the bike to a friend with a personal loan, your call on that. Good luck.

Edit; Screw the protein thing, you are what you are. I wish I could keep my weight down. An SV650 with a 130 lb rider would kick ass on the Dragon.

Hi Art. Here's the bottom line dude... you've bitten off more bike than you can [currently] chew.SR-71
Needless to say I have been thinking about this since Sunday. The bottom line is I bit off more then I can chew.

Just to be clear, I have a paved driveway, 50 yards of good gravel and then 100 yards of 1.5 lane paved road before I am on a real road. The heavy gravel is at the other end of my road that I use for "practice".

I used the Rebel in the motorcycle training class and then bought the 75 Honda CB550 Four after that. I had no problems at all with the Honda in terms of weight or height or starting or stopping. I rode it for 2000 miles without a worry or confidence issue at all. I had ridden a Honda CB350 in High School and college for about 10,000 miles years ago.

I didn't like my current Honda on the interstates so I avoided them. And therefore I didn't take it to work except on Saturdays or Sundays. I didn't like the interstates either because I didn't feel the bike could keep up. And it is 33 years old and I didn't want to try and keep up with idiots going 70 mph + on a bike that old.

I wanted something newer and perhaps a little bigger. I went to the DC Motorcycle Show and sat on practically everything except crotch rockets. Actually I sat on them too. And the FJR didn't seem that big on the carpet, and the V-Strom didn't seem that tall on the carpet, and the R1200RT (lowered with all the extras was really nice and damned good looking and felt light).

I was ready to look at the V-Strom and buddies convinced me to go larger (I would regret the lesser HP they said). They all have much more experience them me, so I listened to the advice I was given and took a "leap of faith" and went with the FJR. I would get used to it was the chorus line.

Without a doubt, I will get used to it. I could buy a motorcycle trailer and load it up and cage it to a remote parking lot and practice. I can rely on the help of busy friends that would rather be riding then watching me ride around a parking lot. I can lay it down in my driveway and see if I can pick it up with good footing (does anyone drop a bike where there is good footing?) (I haven't). I am failing to see the fun (as others have said).

So, with little regret (Ok some), I admit that I bit off more then I can chew. I agree with many who said that I can do it (and others have done it before). But the right thing to do is to take a smaller next step. I will relook at the FZ-6 and V-Strom more closely.

I got a buddy that dreams of owning the FJR AE. I am in negotiations right now. He gives me the proceeds from the sale of his bike and the remainer (12000 minus X) is divided by 36 months for an interest free loan. No payment for 6 months. If he run into financial difficulties, skip a payment. I will lose about a thousand, the Skyway sliders are a belated X-Mas present, the G2 is an early Easter present. I will help with the throttle spring adjustment and the Barbarian Mod and anything else he wants to do. He cleans the Honda (because he is really good at it and actually likes it) and the new used bike I get.

If after one year, and he hasn't dropped the bike, I will pay half the cost to repaint the scratched sufaces. Please note that the bike was dropped in gravel and not wrecked in gravel. I think I was going 0.1 mph.

I heard from many that I don't have enough experience. I replied that I drove 2000 miles on the Honda CB550 Four. And then I heard the same thing again. Either you'all don't understand, or I don't. It is me. So, when I buy a more intermediate bike, I will wait 10,000 miles or 2 years (whichever is longer) before considering another bike (unless it is a lateral move). And I will eat more and specifically more protein. I doubt it will do any good, but I will try.

I think I have addressed most concerns that were thoughtfully given. I am an engineer (Mechanical) and once you get the best opinions from the "experts", you then mull them over and make your own decision. Not that I can't learn to ride the FJR right now, it is because I chose not to.

I can't wait to read about the 2010 FJR.

Art

I heard from many that I don't have enough experience. I replied that I drove 2000 miles on the Honda CB550 Four. And then I heard the same thing again. Either you'all don't understand, or I don't. It is me.Art
2000 Miles itsn't much. That's about 40 hours on a bike. Would you consider a mechanical engineer with 40 hours of education experienced?

I don't think it's about the FJR at all, I think it's just confidence. You need a friend to ride nice and easy with and who will spend a few hours a week in a parking lot with you to get the confidence up. I don't know if a different bike will in fact be different for you.

The largest bike I had before this was a Virago 700. That's 180 degrees from the FJR, I too was unsure, but since I've been on two motorized wheels since I was 9 (let's just say it's a few years), I had a bit more confidence. On the other hand, my father (6'3" like me) looked like a kid getting ready to bunjee jump when he got on my bike. He only had HD experience before that. I think with the FJR being a bike that can darn near balance itself, you are perfectly capable of using it to build your confidence. Having taken the MSF course, the Rebel and my wife's V-Start 1000 didn't prepared her for the FJR.

If you find yourself down Richmond way, give me a buzz. There's some BIG parking lots down here in Innsbrook

I don't think it's about the FJR at all, I think it's just confidence. You need a friend to ride nice and easy with and who will spend a few hours a week in a parking lot with you to get the confidence up. I don't know if a different bike will in fact be different for you.
There are a lot of very wise words included in this thread. Thanks to your courage in posting the initial enquiry, I'm sure that you're not the only one who has learned from the vast experience that is represented here.

My confidence in riding the FJR is somewhat tenuous, because of the size issue. I've no problem once the bike is moving, but it's a bear when it's below 5mph. Something that really amazed me was that a weekend spent playing around with an itty-bitty dirt bike really helped with my confidence on the FJR. I also have a 650 Ninja which I use for commuting. Regular riding on that, helps with the FJR too.

The thought that the FJR is way too much bike for a girl of 5'2" is always present, more so when my confidence is down. What gets me back out there with a smile on my face is practice, practice and more practice (and frame sliders).

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jill

Art,

If you want an easy way to turn your bike around in the garage try Park n Move It works great once you get the hang of getting the bike onto the center stand.

Art, I forgot to mention something. I know of a bike that might help you build the confidence you need to eventually transition to a FJR.

My wife got the bug to buy a street bike a couple of years ago. She's been riding for years, but mostly trail bikes. When it came to finding her a street bike, her 5'4" light weight frame presented a tough challenge; both from a seat height and overall bike weight standpoint. (And she too didn't want a cruiser either.)

She test drove the Kawi Ninja 250 and 500. These bikes fit her nicely but she wanted something with a bit more power. What she ended up buying was a Kawi 2005 Z750S and added a lowering kit (its lowered about 2"). This bike turned out to be the perfect compromise. (At 5'10" you wouldn't need a lowering kit for this bike.) We added a set of bar risers which created a nice upright seating position, and a flaired windscreen for a bit more wind protection. And the 102hp in-line 4-cylinder fuel injected engine has plenty of smooth power. The Z750S is fairly light (~430lbs), and has a sportbike [like] feel to it. Plus it's fairly inexpensive too. It even does a decent job of keeping up with my FJR too (most of the time).

I'm not sure if Kawasaki still makes the Z750S but there's probably plenty used ones around. Just a thought.

SR-71

Wow... Art you are a very lucky guy to still be here on earth. A lot of the things you say don't exactly make sense but so be it. I have been riding my AE FJR since 2006 and have never had any trouble with it whatsoever. The throttle is the key on the AE, and it isn't hard to master. But after reading what you have experienced it is my opinion you should definately be riding a different bike. Whatever bike you settle on make sure you take the MSF course before you ride any bike and if you have already taken the course, take it again. Taking the MSF course again is something we all should do every few years no matter how good or experienced a rider we may be. May God continue to look over you and protect you.