Help me Obi-wan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddy

Reaction score
Ok, I need help from anyone able to help me figure out what I am doing wrong. When I am sitting at a stop and ( this has happened 3 times), I start to accelerate after feeling my way into the friction zone, the bike will suddenly take off. I rotate the throttle past the free play in the cable and stop when I feel tension. I have checked my hand position and reset it at every stop. 9 times out of ten the take off is smooth. But that one in a few will just jump like a bat out of hell. 2 of the three times I (and I am embarrassed but I have to say), sent careening through intersections. Only by the grace of God, Luck, and a very tired guardian angel, have I managed not to get knocked on my a-- or worse. I have ordered the G2 throttle tube after reading thru some forums. I have practiced in parking lots for hours and have no issues. So, before I end up in the forum about riders who aren't around anymore, I am looking for answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I need help ... I start to accelerate after feeling my way into the friction zone, the bike will suddenly take off. I rotate the throttle past the free play in the cable ...
can't say i've experienced anything like this, and don't know if this is related,

but i adjusted the free play out of the throttle cable as soon as i picked up the bike.

G2 throttle tube will make a big difference, but for total smoothness, get a Power Commander installed.

I thought my AE was pretty smooth with just the G2, until the PCIII was installed this past weekend. Different bike altogether.

Learn to use the clutch??????????? Adjust it to what you need it. The numbers on the clutch lever will help you.....

Ok, I need help ... I start to accelerate after feeling my way into the friction zone, the bike will suddenly take off. I rotate the throttle past the free play in the cable ...
...but i adjusted the free play out of the throttle cable as soon as i picked up the bike.
As mentioned here, adjusting the free play out of the throttle cable will help quite a bit. The G2 tube will also make a big difference.

You might want to try a little rear brake to help you into the zone where you're getting enough engagement for movement.

I'm dead serious when I also suggest that you might want to strengthen your wrist for better control, and you might want to take a look at your gloves to make sure they're not part of the problem.

Dont roll on... Let it start to pull in the friction zone and hold.. the bike will catchup... Once i start off and the bike starts to move,,, I stop rollon until I have it moving as desired... Then further adjust power

Hi,

I had a bit of the same issue when I first got my FJR so I got the G2 but was still having quick take offs not as bad as you from the sound of it but a little snappier then I like, I also was having a high idle when I came to a stop. I have been riding for a few dozen years now and this was not normal for me I finally figured it out it was the slop in the cable causing the issue. Lift the tank and adjust the slack out of the cable and if you want to be fancy take all the slack out then loosen them back up by your throttle grip so if you ever need to adjust it again you will not have to lift the tank.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Hi,I had a bit of the same issue when I first got my FJR so I got the G2 but was still having quick take offs not as bad as you from the sound of it but a little snappier then I like, I also was having a high idle when I came to a stop. I have been riding for a few dozen years now and this was not normal for me I finally figured it out it was the slop in the cable causing the issue. Lift the tank and adjust the slack out of the cable and if you want to be fancy take all the slack out then loosen them back up by your throttle grip so if you ever need to adjust it again you will not have to lift the tank.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Thanks Gary, I forgot to add that I was having an issue with high idling, but I adjusted that out. I will try the suggestion to take out the slop. thanks everybody for your replies. And I am working on strengthening my wrist and ordered a crampbuster. It sounds like overkill but the object is to not to get hurt or worse.