Help On Gps Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lomaxcm

Reaction score
I am about to get (yes it is on the truck) my 05 FJR1300 and have a questions on a mount for GPS etc. I use RAM mounts on my other bikes and was thinking that it would work out putting a RAM mount ball on the Steering head nut. What I would do is take the nut off, Drill a 1/4 hole in the middle of it, Mount the RAM ball with a 1/4 bolt from the back side of the nut, and put in back on.

Has anyone had their top steering head nut off? Is there room for a 1/4 bolt head behind it? What should I torque it back down to? Is this just a silly idea?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people have used this:

HG-10998.jpg

Your idea should work the same. I forget the torque but I'm sure someone here has the specs.

Marc

Has anyone had their top steering head nut off? Is there room for a 1/4 bolt head behind it? What should I torque it back down to? Is this just a silly idea?
1. Yep. Nothin' to it (but you need a 36mm socket that's not easy to come by)

2. I'm not sure I understand the "behind" part of yr question. You mean can you drill thru the head nut and screw in a 1/4 bolt? I'd say not a good idea.

3. 115Nm (ft-lb 84.82)

4. Only one way to find out... :D

I can't get to my bike for a few hours. If you want I can e-mail the Workshop Manual to you (18Mb) and you can check it out to your heart's content :agent:

Stef

PS: The StemStand pictured above is what I use. It's a drilled head nut allright but somewhat taller to accommodate the screw.

Thanks for the information. I had seen the stem stands and that is what made me think I could just go ahead and mount the RAM ball to the existing nut instead of replacing it with the Stem Stand nut. When I take it off I will make sure there is room before drilling out the stock nut. BTW I own a Ducati so I have all the really BIG metric sockets. (thank you Harbor Freight)

Yes I would very much appreciate the manual. I found one for a 2003 but assume there is something newer. Also all the torques are in Nm instead to Ft Lbs and DOH my torque wrenches don't do Newton Meters. :lol:

OOPS almost forgot. [email protected]

Cheers.

Marc

I highly recommend the StemStand. Works great, easy to position just right and they include specs for proper torque. Although Stef's specs are correct. As for the 36mm socket, I just "rented" one from my local Auto Zone. By the way this procedure was Auto Zone's suggestion: Buy the socket, use it, return it for a full refund. Worked like a charm. Probably the only time I'll use a 36mm socket unless I start pulling axles on cars. Maybe an obvious point, but, get a socket so that you can attach a torque wrench, not a box end wrench as I was offered.

I bought a socket at sears for a round 9 bucks. I walked out to my shop to look at the stock stem nut. I was thinking you may be able to drill and tap a 1/4" hole. But I really dont think there is enough meat to tap :huh: . I am using the stem stand, and the more I think about it...I wouldn't want my 276c on anything else...Good luck with your new bike... ;)

Smitty,

You may be absolutely correct. I did not even think about the thickness of the stock nut. I will pull it off and measure it before committing to a mount there. My plan was the GPS in the left mirror hole, Radar in the right mirror hole, Camera or what ever on the steering stem. If the steering stem nut is too thin then I think I will make a mount that bolts on with the two front fuel tank mounting holes. OR maybe just not put so much shit on the bike. NA! :D

Cheers.

Marc

Cycle Gadgets .com has a Ram ball that they made fora BMW that takes the place of one of the bolts that holds the handlebars on, they say it works just fine. I'll let you know in a few days, I ordered one. Saves having to mess with the 36 mm nut. ;)

Rick M

Marc,

I may be mistaken, which is entirely possible since I've only had my 04 for about a week, but I don't think the right hand mirror mount is drilled or tapped. I've been thinking the same thing , that is, until I tried to remove the cap from the right side mirror mount. Seems someone at Yamaha figured out they didn't need to pay for the hole or threads on the right, must have been after they drilled and tapped all the left side ones!

Maybe 05's are different, but check before you order a ram mount for that one.

Clay

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will start cutting and slashing soon. That is if the bloody thing every gets here. I guess When Yamaha said it was "In-transit" they meant form Japan. DOH! :assasin: It is supposed to ship from the US warehouse next Tuesday so it looks like another week or two. I am beginning to think these thing do not really exist. :lol:

Ride Safe.

Marc

I got the Ram mount ands ball froom Cycle Gadgets. It worked great. Remove one bolt that holds the handlebars to the tree, put a Ram bracket and ball in ,and replace it with a bolt that they provide. Add Ram arm, gps bracket and its done.

Works well and its about $25.00. I'll post a pic if you want to see it. Let me know

Rick m

I got the Ram mount ands ball froom Cycle Gadgets. It worked great. Remove one bolt that holds the handlebars to the tree, put a Ram bracket and ball in ,and replace it with a bolt that they provide.
Which one did you get that you have to remove the bars from the tree? I used a RAM-HB1/RAM-HB2 for the resouvior (damn, that's a hard word to spell) mounts.

Which one did you get that you have to remove the bars from the tree? I used a RAM-HB1/RAM-HB2 for the resouvior (damn, that's a hard word to spell) mounts.
I did not have to remove the bars, only ONE bolt. I used a RAM-11M base and CyclegGadgets send me a longer allen bolt and a small spacer for the RAM -11M . Took about 2 minutes to put on, works great. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Rick M

I didn't like the look of the RAM mount so I looked around and found a Tech Mount that screws into the unused left mirror spot on the clutch lever. Looks like the stem stand but mounts in a different place. Costs more than the RAM. It is the HG31000L and does not require the adapter to fit the threads. Look here.