hesitation to ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal. I wrecked my bike july 11th, bought a gorgeous 2005 on October 2nd and rode it 1100 miles home. The next 2 weeks were problem laden timewise, 1st I wasn't able to register her til Oct 9th and left for San Diego Oct 12th, meanwhile I ad a few shifts in between. I'm sitting here today wanting to ride but for some reason I'm hesitating to even look at her. Before the accident I woulda just hopped on and said "fug it" now I'm running all sorts of "what if?" scenarios <_<

I know I have a lot of work to do on her, as fr as putting in farkles rom old FJR and whatnot and that keeps runnig through my head too. Not riding her until I'm done farkling her up.

My question is this, does it sound like I'm a pussy, is this normal after the kinda accident I had and not riding for almost 3 months afterwards, or am I mixing my priorities up(farkle first/ride later)? :unsure:

I hate evaluating myself, it's usaully nothing and read too much into it!

Okay, here's the deal. I wrecked my bike july 11th, bought a gorgeous 2005 on October 2nd and rode it 1100 miles home. The next 2 weeks were problem laden timewise, 1st I wasn't able to register her til Oct 9th and left for San Diego Oct 12th, meanwhile I ad a few shifts in between. I'm sitting here today wanting to ride but for some reason I'm hesitating to even look at her. Before the accident I woulda just hopped on and said "fug it" now I'm running all sorts of "what if?" scenarios <_<
I know I have a lot of work to do on her, as fr as putting in farkles rom old FJR and whatnot and that keeps runnig through my head too. Not riding her until I'm done farkling her up.

My question is this, does it sound like I'm a pussy, is this normal after the kinda accident I had and not riding for almost 3 months afterwards, or am I mixing my priorities up(farkle first/ride later)? :unsure:

I hate evaluating myself, it's usaully nothing and read too much into it!

EM,

Nobody can tell you what is in your own mind, or your own soul. Pussy? Who gives a royal rat's ass?

Look inside... then decide... and (hopefully) ride.

The coolest thing of all is, we all have our own choices to make, our own roads to ride on the way to our own mortalities. We each get to decide how we want to spend those finite years, days, minutes until we meet our maker. If we happen to cross paths and have a good time along the way, so much the better. If not...

Make yours real.

In my opinion it is normal. After my first get-off it took some time on a bike to get over the thoughts running though my head. In my case it was not time since my get-off, rather the time I spent back on the bike. It was months before I was back on a bike. After I took it out 10 or so times my worries just faded away.

I say take it as slow as needed to get back where you used to be. Maybe take rides when less traffic is out there on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evil,

If you're not feeling right about it, don't ride. You're not proving anything by doing so.

Trust your gut.

One morning soon, you'll hop on it, and take her for a spin. No problems. But wait until then. Ok?

Normal....very normal. Take it easy, one step at a time. Stay in your limits and let your comfort zone find its own level, then begin to expand. So if its a few short trips...so what! Its your head and you'll know when you work through it.

I can relate to what you're feeling, so count another vote for normal. After my first couple of minor fall-down-go-booms when I was a brand new rider, I felt kinda reluctant (maybe scared) to get back on it. Then I graduated to motorcycles that fit me better, and now it's all I can do to put other things aside & go take a spin. Baby steps, brah.

+1 to everyone's reply. ( Man there's some good people out here! )

Take your time & feel her out.

You'll know when its time. Like the immortal words say : Gotta get your mind right.

dog

This crashing shit messes with your head, that's for sure. I'm 4500 miles into a new bike since the crash. Every curve is an exercise in self-doubt. I'm lucky that I live in a rural area. Initially, getting back on wasn't that bad. There's little traffic. I can run whatever speed (or lack thereof) I choose. But, still, it's different. My rhythm is gone. I keep snapping my fingers, but I just can't get the beat.

I still want to ride, that hasn't changed. Most of the doubts come just as the road bends or turns beyond my visual range. And it's an avalanche. It's strange, hard to explain, but I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I don't have any answer, either.

But, it is getting better. It is slow, though. Maybe that's one of the things that really bothers me. I am not a patient man. I like to decide, then do. This is not exactly lending itself well to that thought process.

Anyway, I just keep riding. And riding. Somedays are better than others. I wish I had something to say that would help.

Ok, I get double input as a behavioral psychologist and a multiple crash club member!

I will not use any jargon, so this is the best I can do.

Much like pavlov's dogs, a previously neutral stimulus (bike) has been paired with an aversive event (wreck, physical pain, scary shit). Research has repeatedly indicated that it only takes one pairing with a significant aversive before your body starts to actual respond to the stimulus (bike) similarly to how it would respond in the aversive event. Further, when you do get on the bike, as you approach similar situations (4 way stops) your heart rate will elevate, and your body will slightly begin to enter a state much like fight or flight (which you know about cause your a medic!).

So, what do you do? The best treatment options are usually things like systematic desensitization. That basically means, keep putting yourself near, or on, the paired stimulus (bike) without any aversive events happening. Repeated exposure without aversive events following eventually leads to less of that fight or flight response by your body. I bet towards the middle of your ride home, you weren't nearly as nervous as when you first jumped on. By the way, this is completely reflexive, you don't get to control it. You can only do things like deep breathing, progressive relaxation techniques, and redirecting your thoughts to help.

Overall, what you are experiencing is what everyone goes through. Different people just respond differently to it. Just take it easy, ride it when you feel comfortable, and try to focus on the positive things you enjoy about riding instead of thinking about and running through wreck situations. The more you ride, the better you'll feel about it.

Does that mean he's not a pussy?

What about me?

Does that mean he's not a pussy?
What about me?
No doubt about it... Your both big fat pussies! :rofl:

Ok not funny at all. If your not ready dont get on the bike. you cant be second guessing on a bike, you must be decisive. So GUNNY and Woof! Oh wait a minute, "woof" is still somewhat mirky. Has anyone made an official Wiki entry?

You're a pussy.
PS, Anyone who gets on a bike in the first place has some testicular matter. Getting back on after breaking a dozen ribs? Priceless!

Hey man, ride when you're ready but don't let the farkling get in the way of riding! You will know when you can safely ride without being spooked by unusual things or blind corners, etc. But ease in some saddle time before too long.

What they all said.

One of these days at work you will go "damn, wish I was riding my cycle" and it will start getting better after that.

Five months in a body cast and another five months in a leg cast from the same crash and that's how it worked for me.

Trust your gut feelings.

Well, once again I'm outside the normal distribution curve.

When racing mx/sx you often crash. Hard. Have scars and medical to prove.

But you get right back up, (if you can) and try that double again; the one you just crashed your body on.

..and if you can't get up right away, you take time to heal, then go right back to it.

I know of what you speak, I'm having a bad case of 'fucking deer' are everywheer (bad pun intended) but I know the only way, for me, to 'get over it' is to ride, just ride. As miles and time go on, aversive reaction fades, confidence returns, and once again I'm truly back in the saddle again.

Hope this helps, it was not written just to be devils advocate. I say do what works for you. You'll figure it out. :rolleyes:

What they all said.
One of these days at work you will go "damn, wish I was riding my cycle" and it will start getting better after that.

Five months in a body cast and another five months in a leg cast from the same crash and that's how it worked for me.

Trust your gut feelings.
+1... I have had 2 incedents, 1 major that left me in casts for 18 months. I didn't get back on a scoot for 8 years. Once I did again I had a low speed get off and lots of road rash.

After that last one I sold the bike and took another 18 month break. For me getting back on the bike means having the proper gear for the first time in my life and wearing it everytime I am on the bike. I have more confidence in my ability and am not thinking about broken bones or road rash the whole time on the bike. I got the best gear I could afford (Cycleport) and feel much more relaxed and enjoy riding a whole lot more.

Take it slow and be sure to gear up correctly before getting back on. Just my .02