Honda V4 Crosstour Concept?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Announced in LA Times' coverage of the Milan bike show.

Honda V4 Crosstourer: A concept bike based on Honda's groundbreaking VFR1200F superbike, this theoretical adventure-tourer would use the same 1,237 cc V4 power plant and dual clutch transmission packaged with crash bars, hand guards, a taller windscreen and aluminum panniers.

Feast your eyes...

57317530.jpg

I like the styling but do not like the conventional front fork...and I don't think I am going to like the price. Still looking forward to getting my Tenere next May.

I'm intrigued by the wire spokes. Is this projected to have tube tires? If yes, where are the moderate knobbies?

Chain drive, spokes (implying tubes), lots of plastic, and probably a VFR1200 price?

Should help sales of Yamaha's Super Ten.

I'm intrigued by the wire spokes. Is this projected to have tube tires? If yes, where are the moderate knobbies?
The 'rim end' of the spokes attach to a 'dead area' in the rim's lip -- so air doesn't escape -- allowing the use of, modern, tubeless tires.

"Knobbed" m/c tires, in tubeless sizes, are in lesser supply (than tube-type knobbies).

BMW riders pay extra for wire-spoked wheels... :unsure: (It's a "looks-thing", I think?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chain drive, spokes (implying tubes), lots of plastic, and probably a VFR1200 price?

Should help sales of Yamaha's Super Ten.
The Crosstour, which is the 1200 version, is supposed to have shaft drive...and the dual clutch transmission. I expect it to cost more than than the VFR1200 because it will have saddlebags and other features in the base price.

Chain drive would be preferable, IMO, on a real all terrain bike. But this one will have a shaft, no doubt, and the extra weight that entails, just like the VFR1200 does.

In addition to the rugged "retro look" of spokes and steel rims, they are also a bit more flexible and forgiving (than standard cast alloy wheels) when being bounced off of rocks, and (theoretically at least) can be beaten back in shape enough to get a tube into it to haul your butt back to civilization. Not that any of these bikes ever get taken that far off-road... :rolleyes:

Since this is a concept bike, how does anyone know how much it will cost? IMO, all of these adventure bikes are way too much (when new). ;)

Nice try, Honda. However...

Are they REALLY going to make a bike with any intention of off-road capability using their V4 motor and tranny? I highly doubt it. Whereas the S10 and BMW GS's use a dedicated platform for what the bike's intended for, Honda's just swapping plastic and body panels (probably all just on photoshop)on a motor designed as a road burner.

Maybe Yamaha should photoshop the S10's motor into a superbike styled like a ducati, and they can claim to have a "concept" of a twin-powered track machine. It would take the same effort...and make as much sense.

Maybe Yamaha should photoshop the S10's motor into a superbike styled like a ducati, and they can claim to have a "concept" of a twin-powered track machine. It would take the same effort...and make as much sense.
Yamaha 2-cyl racer -- TRX 850 (forerunner of, and related to, Super Tenere engine:

In '92 & '93 Over Racing campaigned (a race version of) this bike in the Suzuka 8-hour with some success (didn't win):

Yamaha%20TRX850%2096%20%204.jpg

Cool Bike! Looks like Yam already has the parts bin to build a baby S10 to rival BMW's F800GS.

Chain drive would be preferable, IMO, on a real all terrain bike.
Why...? :unsure:

In addition to the rugged "retro look"
Moto-Guzzi Stelvio -- my ADV friend said (when he first saw it): "It's got the look."

of spokes and steel rims, they are also a bit more flexible and forgiving (than standard cast alloy wheels) when being bounced off of rocks, and (theoretically at least) can be beaten back in shape enough to get a tube into it to haul your butt back to civilization.
I think most rims, nowadays, are alu alloy?

Do you really think steel rims would be better...??

As if: someone could change a tire on one of these behemoths on the trail...? :eek:

Not to mention: inner tubes and tube patching (just don't want to go there...). Or mousse, if used, limits speed potential. Or chunk-ing knobs at speed... :eek: :(

Not that any of these bikes ever get taken that far off-road... :rolleyes:
'Strewth'... :blink:

(although many will want a switch to shut-off the ABS for when the-going-gets-really-rough... ;) }

Cool Bike! Looks like Yam already has the parts bin to build a baby S10 to rival BMW's F800GS.
Geez..., I don't think they (Yamaha) would do that -- BTDT (didn't get the T-shirt). TDMs were losers in America (sat in dealer's showrooms for years), TRXs were sold elsewhere for a few years, TDM-900s are still available elsewhere (I don't think they're setting any sales records?), -- you'd think that if Yamaha saw any merit? :huh: :unsure:

I think BMWs sell for other reasons... :unsure:

I have a friend who had an F800GS and rode one long trip on it and it was traded, at the BMW dealer, as soon as he got back.

I suffered with a TDM-850 for 34K miles -- no seller's remorse, here. :)

Nice try, Honda. However...

Are they REALLY going to make a bike with any intention of off-road capability using their V4 motor and tranny? I highly doubt it. Whereas the S10 and BMW GS's use a dedicated platform for what the bike's intended for, Honda's just swapping plastic and body panels (probably all just on photoshop)on a motor designed as a road burner.

I like what Triumph has done!

https://www.triumphadventure.com/

I think the best BIG dually out there right now is the BMW GS-ADV. It's 100 pounds lighter than anything else including the Tenere.

A Triumph 800 triple with knobby's, spokes, and a steel trellis frame gives me a chub, but it sure would be a shame to toss it down a dirt road at 70 mph.

I think the best BIG dually out there right now is the BMW GS-ADV. It's 100 pounds lighter than anything else including the Tenere.
Getting an honest weight from motorcycle manufacturers can be difficult -- until someone actually weighs all three of them at the same time, with the same fuel load, and similar accessories, on the same scale (one right after another).

I think the Ducati Multistrada 1200S is lighter (30 lbs.?) than the BMW -- but the Super-TenRay is about 40 lbs. heavier? :unsure:

Getting an honest weight from motorcycle manufacturers can be difficult -- until someone actually weighs all three of them at the same time, with the same fuel load, and similar accessories, on the same scale (one right after another).

I think the Ducati Multistrada 1200S is lighter (30 lbs.?) than the BMW -- but the Super-TenRay is about 40 lbs. heavier? :unsure:
True, but I think even Yamaha is saying the Tenere is 100 lbs heavier. The new Duc lucks like a real road burner, but who's gonna take a paint job like that off-road. The GS couldn't get any more ugly, so what the Hay..

Yeah, I like a chain on an ADV bike for a host of reasons: 1) lighter 2 ) nearly limitless gearing possibilities to meet the intended terrain 3) less weight 4) with all of the (important) guts hanging out there, you can actually see when it needs maintenance (sprockets / chain replacement). You won't see when a final drive it going to go TU and leave you stranded in BFE. 5) Bike will not be as heavy. 6) The big nod to shafties is the complete lack of any regular maintenance required (beyond lube changes). ADV bikes are not really something you'd want to run iron butt events on. Having to lube a chain every now and then should not slow you down much. 7) Shaft drives weigh more.

There is something to be said for an air cooled adventure bike a la BMW GS. There is obviously a weight penalty for liquid cooling. In case you didn't notice in the prior paragraph, the weight of a trailie (even a big one) is of major significance once you get it off the tarmac. Not having to worry about loss of coolant while out on the trail has some appeal. Too bad they continue to have those big jugs sticking out the sides where they are so vulnerable to getting wanged off of all manner of stuff. Of course if you never (or seldom) take it off road all of these things are of much less significance.

Do I think someone would want to remove and repair a tire and wheel out on the trail?

Well, if the other option was walking a long way, why the hell not? :unsure:

Ohhh, the advetures we could have! I hear the ADV690 will be avail next year. :dribble:

KTM_690_Adventure_2007_15_1024x768.jpg