Hourly Shop Labor Rates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon06

Reaction score
Had to have my 06 serviced while out of town in CO recently. The final drive was leaking. They replaced the o-rings and seals, total parts was around $48. The labor rate was, get this.....$129 per hour! Total bill was $314 and $250 of it was labor. Am I just out of touch since I usually do all maintenance myself or is this labor rate crazy?!?!?!

...out of town in CO recently. The final drive was leaking. They replaced the o-rings and seals, total parts was around $48. The labor rate was, get this.....$129 per hour! ...
That is the out of Towner Rate... or did you leave out the Massage you got while waiting.

I have not been in the shop for a few years but a couple of years ago, it was about $75-$100 / hour pending on the shop.

Between $75 and $85 for both Honda and Yamaha. But that # may vary from region to region. It might be like real estate prices and vary from place to place. Or maybe you looked like you could afford it?

Wait, you said final drive? I did not realize it was a BMW you were getting serviced...

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to have my 06 serviced while out of town in CO recently. The final drive was leaking. They replaced the o-rings and seals, total parts was around $48. The labor rate was, get this.....$129 per hour! Total bill was $314 and $250 of it was labor. Am I just out of touch since I usually do all maintenance myself or is this labor rate crazy?!?!?!
yeah, I gotta go with crazy... off the charts, ludicrous.

sadly though, it's kind of a 'what the market will bear' type of a thing... in your case, a lot! but prob never again, even if it means never taking a long trip again... that's really the sad part, if u know what I mean...

Please name the stealership so we can all send them nasty emails & subscriptions to magazines they will never read. I just don't get the attitude

of fucking an out of towner because you will never see them again. Please post that SOB's name so we can have some fun.

You are a much more patient man than I am. If they would have sprung that labor rate on me I would have gone nucken futz right then and there.

I would be curious to know how they would have reacted if you asked to see their service records to verify that was their standard labor rate.

I hate seeing people getting ripped off, please post who did the work. Was it an independent of a dealership?

If it was a dealership, I would inform Yamaha Corporate, I would be interesting to see where that would go.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

When you asked them to quote the job did they give you a different labor rate? If I must have a dealer service my bike (or car) I always ask for a quote first. I just hate surprises.

I think it's $90-$95 dollars an hour in some of the Dallas area dealerships now. Yet another reason to learn how to work on your FJR yourself.

GP

A fine hosing was done I think.....unless the mech had a Ph.D......airline Captains are around $175-$225 an hour or so for a rough comparison. So I have to agree, get that quote up front, and no Gucci shoes and Armani suit next time.

I found a great guy in Dallas, OR who is $50 an hour and does meticulous work. Sometimes takes a bit longer than a shop, but I truly believe the work in well above par.

The dealership will remained un-named, but I will tell you it's in Ft Collins, CO and it is a Yamaha dealer. I don't think it's out of town rates, the rates are clearly posted behind the service desk. I didn't have any time to look for another shop as I had to get back to IL. I figured it would only take an hour's labor to repair since I told them exactly what was wrong when I brought it in. They charged $50 for something called "Inspection and diagnose" and then 2 hours labor to do the repair. For a kicker, it took them 2 weeks to fix it! I was not in a hurry since I wasn't going to be in area for couple weeks to pick it up, but, 2 weeks? Will not be returning there anytime soon for parts or service let alone a new bike!

Very interesting ... and coincidental. Before a Colorado tour in 2010 I had the final drive serviced - in a hurry. I have a good local mechanic and he advised he re-used a seal since he did not have one on hand, and advised it could leak and if so, bring it back. It did leak; no big deal, but I knew I'd be in Ft. Collins for a couple of days so phoned ahead to the Yamaha dealer there, had them order parts and schedule the service for a particular time and day. I showed up right on time. They had the parts but no service slot scheduled. I then asked them what the repair labor would entail. They answered, and once I got up off the floor I told them, I'll take the parts and ride it home with the leak. My local guy did the job for less than half what that Ft. Collins dealer quoted.