Houston to Salt Lake City

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Flyball, next time I pass through we'll do some great Tex-Mex. I will be sure to let you know. And by all means, let me know if you pass through Houston or San Antonio. I'll meet up with ya and we'll celebrate our rides.

Everyone in San Angelo were really nice, good friendly folk. And yep, the girls sure are cute! Good West Texas women. :good:

Great ride report. You came through my town. Wish I would have known you were coming, I could have hooked you up with some fantastic Tex-Mex and saved you from McD's. Please don't rate San Angelo by that!But you did get one thing right, lots of good looking women in San Angelo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Big D. There will be more to come. I had a busy weekend with family in San Antonio, but now I'm back home and will be working on my next installments.

You know, I can't decide what I like more, solo riding or riding with pals. You are right, when alone, my imagination runs wild and I spend a lot of time replaying life's memories. I also really enjoy listening to music and thinking about the songs and the memories they evoke. I also like keeping my own schedule and not having to conform to someone else's idea of when to go or stop. Don't get me wrong, I'm easy-going about riding with a group, but I have had a few bad experiences, and one of them was on this trip. And come to think of it, it wasn't even that bad. So I guess what it depends on is the group dynamics and whether they are friends or acquaintances.

Still, once I left Albuquerque and I was alone, I was equal parts relieved to be back on my own, and sad to see my friends stay behind.

Isn't it great to get out on the open road and just ride. Riding with a small group is fun, but riding alone allows for the imagination to fire up and guide you into life time memories. You have a rare chance to reinvent yourself and get to know yourself all over again.
You did a great job telling your story and posting your pictures, but we'll still wanting more!

Day 4 ABQ to Flagstaff Arizona and Day 5, Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon

I'm combining these two days since I didn't take a lot of pictures and these were the slower days of the trip. Gear report at the end of the pictures.

Albuquerque to Flagstaff:

Route: Straight shot up I-40. Not posting a map this time, just imagine drawing a straight east-west line from the two cities. Now ride the slab.

Milage: About 330 of which I rode about 300.

Weather: temps in the high 80's with a rain/dust storm in eastern Arizona. Windy.

Today marked the beginning of the portion of the trip where I would ride with friends. The next week would be a major dude-fest.

We started by leaving Juan's house and heading for Flagstaff--and maybe the Grand Canyon if we felt like moving up the road a little further. Juan would be driving the dualley, hauling his camper around and playing host for me and the buddies from Utah. He is one of those special people who come along rarely in life, kind of heart and gentle of nature. My family has adopted him, so he is an honorary brother. Hermano postiso. He won't be riding this trip due to an injury suffered on a motorcycle 3 years ago. Also joining us will be two of their dogs, Jack and Tri-pod. Photos of the dogs to come.

Riding I-40 was kinda boring being slab and all. The scenery was interesting, rolling hills and desert scenery typical of this area. My thoughts were of the days ahead, hitting the Grand Canyon and seeing the sights of Utah. Would I make it to San Fran? I was already a bit homesick and really missing my son. Still, I was eager to be on the road and would let my adventure play out.

Introduction: every trip should have a mascot. Here is ours. Say hello to Kiki the Christmas Dog. He rode on the tank, keeping a keen eye out for deer, "dears", flotsam and jetsam.

535315037_coU2Q-L.jpg

First pic of the day, crossing the state line into Arizona! Yea! Another state in the bag.

535271775_B4vAf-L.jpg

Typical scenery. No, wait. Thats my scoot. LOL. For some reason it keeps getting in the way of my pictures.

535272248_u4eoV-L.jpg

So long, New Mexico. Great things ahead!

535272770_zoj8F-L.jpg

I hit the 300 mile mark and decided to call it a day. I was tired and I really wanted to hang out with Juan for a while, so we loaded up the FJR and I rode in luxury in the truck.

535273853_HcnJS-L.jpg

One of the reasons I decided to call it a day. Impending dust and rain storm, winds gusting to about 40.

535275062_whePT-L.jpg

Bike was tired too and needed a nap. Look above the FJR and you'll see my fancy motorized bunk bed. Ahhhh, home for the next week.

535275256_qEUZM-L.jpg

Sweet dinner. Microwave Stouffers Lasagna. Actually pretty good!

535275765_UZy2Z-L.jpg

================================================

Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. Day 5.

Route: I-40 to Williams, AZ, then Hwy 64 to the Grand Canyon and Tusayan, AZ, all of this via Jim Babbitt Ford, Lincoln Mercury Dealership, Flagstaff, AZ.

Weather: Awesome, sunny and 60 degrees.

Total miles: 80. Miles on bike. 0. My FJR and my tailbone were tired!

Today started off well. We woke up around 8ish from our campground in the parking lot of the Flagstaff Wal-mart Supercenter. Stowed the loose stuff in the trailer, got the dogs ready and jumped in the truck. Juan turned the key. Or tried to turn the key. Guess what. The key won't turn. After a lot of jiggling (not the kind we wish) it turned and we got started. Number one priority, finding the local Ford dealership. After a lot of phone calls we find Babbitt Ford.

Didn't take a lot of pics, I was bored and had a lot of things on my mind. We get to the dealer, get directions to their body shop so we can drop off the camper. Got it disconnected and parked then headed back to the dealership. Waited for diagnostic. Bad ignition key-lock. Got it replaced. Bad ignition switch mechanism. Replaced. Went to brunch. Had a fabulous lunch at the Cafe half a block down. Came back. Now we have worn out bushings in the gear selection mechanism. Replaced. Truck went for a test drive. Came back with more problems. Aftermarket alarm seems to be causing starting problems. Disconnected. Truck went back for a test drive. Came back with more problems. (Dang, is there an echo in here?). Starter having problems. Aftermarket starter main wire fried and dangling by a few threads. Aftermarket starter also very weak. Replaced.

Now it is time to go and its 5:00 pm. Time to retrieve the camper, reconnect it, gas up and head to the Grand Canyon. Decided not to unload the bike. Felt more like hanging out with my bro. I knew there would be plenty of riding ahead.

Cool train across the street from the Ford Dealership.

525411324_2NkSx-L-1.jpg

Juan tearing into his breakfast.

525411712_k9x4g-L-1.jpg

I ate half before even remembering the camera. Stoopid truck drama messing with my mind. Great pancakes. Gee, doesn't everything go better with bacon?

525412172_Jw8Bh-L-1.jpg

Interesting contrasts...

525413221_qkBy7-L-1.jpg

Juan told me the owners were a husband and wife crossing the US. One of the bikes had Florida plates. Made me miss my KLR.

525413767_4c7ag-L-1.jpg

We finally got to our campground at the Grand Canyon and called it a night. Thanks for following the story thus far and I hope you enjoy the pictures coming tomorrow. They get better...

======================================

Gear Report:

535313980_YGPaq-L.jpg

Cortech (Tourmaster) Super 18 liter tank bag. (Magnetic)

https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Su...ag-p-226_2.html

This is a great bag and one of the few on the market that is designed for a hydration system (not included). It has an expansion zipper across the top, accessory pockets on the sides and rear, removable map pocket, sunglass pocket, cell phone/pda pockets, exit ports for cables and hydration tube and an attached rain cover. It coverts to a backpack with cleverly hidden straps. The magnetic version also comes with a safety strap you can attach to the handlebars or any secure location. The underside is covered with a soft rubber foam to protect your paint. The magnets are strong I had no problems with the bag shifting. The only criticism I have is that the map pocket is very small, about 6.5" by 7.5". I end up using it for notes or as storage for a folded map. The GPS does the rest. Overall the bag functioned great for me and carried all the "stuff" I needed at hand, including my two liter hydration bladder which is pretty big. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the kind words, Michael. I passed them on to Yolanda and she was happy.

She also wants to post her thoughts on my trip. Look for something from her tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Henry

Thank you hec.I really enjoyed this one. Well done.

And oddly, post #14 was the highlight for me. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

You're a rich man.

Take care.

Michael

Meals go better with bacon but they also go lots better with some Tapatio.

It took a long time till I could get the majority of my kids to like spicy hot sauce and spicy salsa.

Now it is a regular condiment around these parts. It is like they cannot do without that "fix".

We are constantly trying different salsas from store bought, to homemade, to restaurant made.

The more picoso the better.

You are too much! The big Tapatio eater is Juanito. I'm not usually into adding picoso sauces. In fact, years ago in another life, my co-workers used to call me "The White Mexican" because I didn't want to make my food too caliente.

Thats ok, because one day one of my best Gringo buddies decided to eat a can of kipper snacks that had the picture of the devil on the label. I thought we were going to have to call 911 or do CPR or hose him down or something. And to think, I warned him. To me, devil=bad. Muy caliente senor.

Meals go better with bacon but they also go lots better with some Tapatio.
It took a long time till I could get the majority of my kids to like spicy hot sauce and spicy salsa.

Now it is a regular condiment around these parts. It is like they cannot do without that "fix".

We are constantly trying different salsas from store bought, to homemade, to restaurant made.

The more picoso the better.

Great ride report.... Thanks for sharing... just came off a 3100+ mile trip myself and I agree with you...before I go again I will have some kind of highway pegs... like you I have the Spencer modified seat... while a lot better than stock..when I got back to Texas and the heat I was all over that seat..that's when I finally broke out the pain meds....but will say that was a 12 hr day....

I was doing the preemptive Ibuprofen thing some days. Found it really helped, especially late in the ride.

Where did you go? Gonna do a ride report? We wanna see!

Great ride report.... Thanks for sharing... just came off a 3100+ mile trip myself and I agree with you...before I go again I will have some kind of highway pegs... like you I have the Spencer modified seat... while a lot better than stock..when I got back to Texas and the heat I was all over that seat..that's when I finally broke out the pain meds....but will say that was a 12 hr day....

Day 6, The Grand Canyon South Rim to St. George Utah

Route: Our campground in Tusayan to Grand Canyon National Park, along the south rim, then back to the campground to pack up and go, then the same route along the south rim on US64E to US89N, to Bitter Springs, UT and US89 ALT, Marble Canyon, Kanab UT, then (change of plans) from Kanab South on 89 to Fredonia, to 389W, to 59N, to 9S to 15S to St. George, Ut.

538186581_xn4V9-L.jpg

Total Mileage: 347, an all-day thing with all the stops.

Weather: Gorgeous! 70 degrees mostly, light breeze at the Canyon, strong winds on the plateaus NE of the Canyon, dropping to high 60's in the evening.

I was really excited to see the Grand Canyon and parts North-east and North. I was thinking this would be one of the high points of the trip and I wasn't disappointed. The last time I had seen it was as a child of 10, 33 years ago!

We woke up around 9ish, geared up and headed for the South Rim. I had to contain my excitement every time we stopped. The aren't words to describe the majesty of the Grand Canyon, it is something that pictures cannot translate, it is something you must see for yourself. The day was perfect, mostly sunny skies and 70 degrees. I remember riding along the rim and giggling in my helmet. I just couldn't believe I had ridden from Houston, Texas to the Grand Canyon. My dreams were indeed coming true, and I had a feeling it was going to get better from here. My energy level was maxed out, adrenaline just a flowing. Little camera, don't fail me now, and self, don't ride off the edge 'cause you can't keep your eyes on the road.

Be sure to stop at the visitor center, it is highly recommended. Nice people and lots of nice gift ideas. Plus an Imax film of the Canyon. I also checked into the prices of aerial tours, they run 150-250 for 30-45 minutes. You can take a plane or helicopter.

On to the photos and more thoughts and impressions... be sure to check out the gear report at the end.

Come on, lets see the Grand Canyon...

528302527_4cxjf-L-1.jpg

At last, I've finally made it! First "vista" goal on this trip achieved!

528282064_9qNuM-L-1.jpg

528284373_EtCkh-L-1.jpg

Proud moment.

528287566_nP5mk-L-1.jpg

528293259_GTZjT-L-1.jpg

Even mopeds can make it here! This was a really nice older couple. Wished I had taken a proper photo of them.

528291176_TXEuK-L-1.jpg

528294097_E4Mbv-L-1.jpg

Sometimes I had to pinch myself to believe I was actually here.

528307718_FKXZr-L-1.jpg

You can't take a bad picture of the Grand Canyon. Note: pretty girl added strictly for scale effect.

528315498_kZoxr-L-1.jpg

Juanito and Henry. Happy happy! Two brothers having the trip of a lifetime.

528321064_9yeuL-L-1.jpg

Time to hit the road, Utah awaits!

528321515_XyEwH-L-1.jpg

US64 heading NE and dropping away from the Canyon.

528322903_WPofJ-L-1.jpg

Nice area, wish I remembered what it was called. It was gorgeous. Every time I thought I had seen something incredible, I'd go around a curve and have to remember to breath.

528323874_qAx8r-L-1.jpg

The coloration of the rocks was incredible. I shot this so you could see the contrast with my bike. Just before Marble Canyon.

528325371_t7UpC-L-1.jpg

Next up, the Navajo Bridges in Marble Canyon.

528328942_X7Fzi-L-1.jpg

Another must-see. I was quite taken with the juxtaposition of natural beauty and man-made elegance. These bridges are truly something to see.

528326128_TXhHe-L-1.jpg

The mighty Colorado River, only 470 feet, 143 meters below.

528327668_wJaaR-L-1.jpg

The old and the new:

528329740_yyeTy-L-1.jpg

We are located at the intersection of the dotted line and the Colorado River on the left side of the map.

528328513_rKQBZ-L-1.jpg

The view away from the bridges.

528331492_jtNFR-L-1.jpg

Another pic of the general area, what incredible colors. The sky was also spectacular. I thought I would break my camera from taking too many pics.

528336363_4dDbk-L-1.jpg

So I'm riding along, crossing the desert on US89, doing the speed limit (what was it?) and all of a sudden there is this field of giant red rocks. Of course I had to stop. Notice the wee human in this picture.

528336705_biTXN-L-1.jpg

Surreal place.

528455666_nuRw9-L-1.jpg

Even the GPS doesn't know what planet we landed on.

528456462_QNnEt-L-1.jpg

Shortly after I took this picture, I had my only run-in with near-death. Imagine a two-lane road, straight as far as they eye can see, traversing a desert of gold, brown, red and green. Its about an hour from sunset, traffic is light. This road has a shoulder of about 6 inches on either side. Now imagine the tour bus from HELL. Thank you Las Vegas Tours! About this time we've got a really strong cross wind, about 35 mph from the right. And I'm chasing down Juanito, who is showing me what his pickup can do, hauling a big-a** trailer across the desert. Ok, I start to pass the bus, crank the right wrist, gotta put the hammer down as he's doing 75. As I get in the left lane and even with the bus, I'm greeted with a temporary end to the crosswind. Nice, small correction to a zero-wind riding condition. I think to myself, ok get ready for the crosswind at the front of the bus. I get to the front, accelerating through xx speed (lets say I was going fast, but not triple digits) and all of a sudden, I am hit with the wake of the bus. I'm leaning into it and pushing on the right bar, but I'm drifting left. And there isn't much room in the left lane. And all of a sudden I'm hit with a horrific gust of wind that pushes me even harder towards the shoulder. I lean HARD to the right and push/will the motorcycle to the right to get back in my lane. Now I'm on the shoulder and straddling the white line on the wrong side of the road and looking at the miles of desert that I am about to be sliding through. I give one last effort to pull the bike back towards my lane, and with my guardian angel giving me the last little shove I needed, I SLOWLY start drifting right. And I dare not decel or run the risk of becoming the latest dead insect on the front of the tour bus. Again, thank you Las Vegas Tours, I'll always remember my vacation with you. (Underwear check!)

One place I wished I had taken pictures was here, in the green area around Jacob Lake, AZ. This is a fantastic ride up a small mountain, with tight, nice paved curved roads, incredible lush forest that are an incredible contrast to the desert and incredible vistas.

538186676_8xduz-L.jpg

Remember the bus from 50 miles ago? From Las Vegas? Well wouldn't you know it, he was in front of me again. In the middle of Motorcycle Nirvana. And doing 25 in a 15 zone, 45 in a 30, and 60 in a 40. Hitting the hair-pins at scary velocities. I'm thinking, if he blows a tire or a deer runs out in the road, this is going to be a tragedy. And of course, there wasn't anywhere to safely pass, that's how awesome the curves were. So finally, I pass him and the 5 cars he is tailgating. Now I have the second half of this mountain to myself. Imagine a setting sun on a twisty, lush mountain road. Temperature is 60 degrees, the road is perfect, I'm tired but in a good way and the motorcycle is running like a dream. I'm carving up the turns, in the zone, great music playing in my helmet. I have finally found probably the best ride of my life. I'm running comfortable speeds, leaning hard, breathing the cool mountain air, there are zero cars. (Maybe they are somewhere behind me cowering from the bus driver). As I descend, I think that it just doesn't get any better than this. Finally, I'm out the bottom and back onto the desert plains. As fast as it got lush and cool, it gets brown, warmer and dry.

A while later, I caught up with Juanito and crossed into Utah. Cool, another state on my journey and somewhere I knew I would see incredible things. (Weird picture, it was almost dark when we took it. Notice how bright the rear lights are.)

528456829_MhwCA-L-2.jpg

The rest of the night was boring. I was exhausted, miserable on the bike. I had been riding off and on since 10 in the morning, and we didn't get to the house in St. George till nearly 11:00 pm. We had ridden into Kanab, UT, only to find out we had a change of plans and needed to head back south and over to St. George. (If I had only checked my voice mail I would have known that at least two hours prior. My fault.)

At the end of the night, 30 minutes in the hot tub erased the 12 hours I spent riding (and playing and taking pictures) that day. Tomorrow would be another grand day as we would visit Zion and or Bryce National Parks. I went to sleep exhausted yet exhilarated.

Gear report to come...

I was doing the preemptive Ibuprofen thing some days. Found it really helped, especially late in the ride.

Sorry no pictures.... went to Virginia after SFO to see family, most of it was in the rain.. guess I am the type that when I am by myself I try to get from A to B as fast as I can..usually super slab most of the time on these trips.... ride sun up to sundown ... a quick bite at Mc D's... a candy bar/drink at fillup.. guess it is like an endurance run for me... don't know why I punish myself but it's go...go...go... and this FJR will go and has been the most fun so far. I installed the Audiovox cruise control and it was worth it's weight in gold...love it... The +5+4 Rifle fairing worked great...have the PCIII running the smoothness map (another must have for me)..averaged 36.4 for the 3149 miles running speed limit +7-10... the lowest was 33.. pacing a fast one 90+ for 80 miles..only excuse for that was interstate and little traffic...it's easy to go fast on the FJR.. the only changes I will do before doing this again is to add highway pegs (Wild Bill or Motorcycle Larry) and I just ordered a BeadRider to get something between me and the seat...had an Alaskan ButtPad but it rained most of the time and didn't have it on, when I got back to Texas 95+ and took off the rain suit..dumb me, forgot to put the buttpad on and the seat about done me in before I got home... but even with the rain, the pain, I enjoyed every minute of it...... :yahoo:

Wow, sounds like a tough ride, especially with a lot of rain.

How many days did it take you to ride that far?

Let me know what you do for highway pegs. I'm interested to know your opinion on what you get.

Be safe.

Sorry no pictures.... went to Virginia after SFO to see family, most of it was in the rain.. guess I am the type that when I am by myself I try to get from A to B as fast as I can..usually super slab most of the time on these trips.... ride sun up to sundown ... a quick bite at Mc D's... a candy bar/drink at fillup.. guess it is like an endurance run for me... don't know why I punish myself but it's go...go...go... and this FJR will go and has been the most fun so far. I installed the Audiovox cruise control and it was worth it's weight in gold...love it... The +5+4 Rifle fairing worked great...have the PCIII running the smoothness map (another must have for me)..averaged 36.4 for the 3149 miles running speed limit +7-10... the lowest was 33.. pacing a fast one 90+ for 80 miles..only excuse for that was interstate and little traffic...it's easy to go fast on the FJR.. the only changes I will do before doing this again is to add highway pegs (Wild Bill or Motorcycle Larry) and I just ordered a BeadRider to get something between me and the seat...had an Alaskan ButtPad but it rained most of the time and didn't have it on, when I got back to Texas 95+ and took off the rain suit..dumb me, forgot to put the buttpad on and the seat about done me in before I got home... but even with the rain, the pain, I enjoyed every minute of it...... :yahoo:

Wow, sounds like a tough ride, especially with a lot of rain.
How many days did it take you to ride that far?

Let me know what you do for highway pegs. I'm interested to know your opinion on what you get.

Be safe.
5 days riding... Austin to Eureka Springs, ES to Louisville, Ky, Louisville to Buchanan, VA...return Buchanan to Jackson, TN by way of Seiverville, TN and then Jackson, Tn to Austin....

Think I'm going to tell my kids I want highway pegs for Father's day... :D I'll let you know what I get...

Looks like you are having a fantastic trip and I'm really enjoying your report and pictures...... ride safe....

Day 7 - St. George, Utah to Zion National Park to Beaver, Utah

(LOTS OF PHOTOS, highlights of the day, Zion and snow later!)

Route: I-15N out of St. George, to Hwy 9N to Zion National Park, a U-turn back along Hwy 9 to leave the park, to La Verkin and Hwy 17, to I-15N to Cedar City for lunch, to Hwy 20 to head to Bryce, a u-turn on 20 back to I-15N to Beaver and a great campground.

Part 1

542361996_qErYz-XL.jpg

Part 2

542362049_VQFD3-XL.jpg

Total Mileage: 201, time on the bike, about 10 hours with all the stops.

Weather. Temps from 68 to 30. Sun. Clouds. Rain. Fog. Freezing rain. Sleet. Snow. Did I leave anything out? Oh, wait. No tornados, hurricanes or tsunamis.

The day dawned bright and sunny. Too bad I was asleep to see it. Lets try that again: I woke up around my usual 9-ish, slept like a log in my bunk bed in Juanito's camper. We spent last night parked at a friend's house in St. George. Gracious hosts, we even got a mid-night soak in the hot tub before retiring. I was really tired the night prior, yesterday had been a gigantic day. And I was really looking forward to today, to see sights I had never been to. And the biggest news of the day was meeting up with friends, both old and new. For the next two days, my semi-solo odyssey would become a group ride.

The plan for the day was to leave St. George, head to Zion National Park, from there head north to Cedar City, cross the mountains on Hwy 20 to Panguitch, camp there and see Bryce in the morning. My personal goal for the day was to live like I had never lived before, and burn up that camera taking as many pictures as possible.

Here is our cast of characters for the next two days:

Meet Mike, another great friend and considered part of our family. Mike and I work together and met in 2005 while slumming in a Newark crash pad. (halfway house for wayward pilots).

537077500_QQaR7-L.jpg

Uncle Ron, engineer and Tio Extraordinaire. One of those guys that you know you gonna like the instant you meet him. Mike's uncle and dad to two great sons that we'll meet and ride with tomorrow.

537077726_vFg9W-L.jpg

Blake, aka Harley, our gracious host last night and passionate Harley pilot.

537077265_PTEfG-L.jpg

And of course, rounding out the group would be Juanito in the truck and little 'ol me.

Put your glasses on, we are heading for Zion! And since weather will be a major player today, I'll give you a report. 63 and partly cloudy.

537066715_zNtgg-L.jpg

Zion. Wow.

537067740_69Bxr-L.jpg

Checker-board pattern cut into the rocks. By whom?

537068021_anzhL-L.jpg

Photos don't do justice to the colors.

537068402_DgjEZ-L.jpg

This pretty French filly wanted to sit on Mike's moto and go "Vroom vroom". I think Mike likes her! Seriously, the pearl colored Road King drew the most attention that day.

537069474_GW3Ry-L.jpg

Yep, Mike can't keep his eyes off of her!

537069769_JoWGb-L.jpg

Our motley crew: Harley, Mikey, Juanito, me and Tio Ron.

537070227_J5jGs-L.jpg

Taking the lead on the way back through the park. We rode it once without stopping, now I would lead and stop whenever I wanted for photos. We met a nice guy on a 'Wing that decided to ride with us.

537071322_mBECu-L.jpg

Follow me! Notice the cool maroon pavement. This place is magical.

537071610_EJdFP-L.jpg

Waiting at the famous tunnel. First weather change: light sprinkles.

537073823_k7Ud8-L.jpg

The boys in line.

537073471_q5JYE-L.jpg

Into the tunnel!

537074142_jJ87g-L.jpg

Inside the tunnel. One lane, no lighting. Be sure to take off your sunglasses. Right Mike?

537074918_KMdmX-L.jpg

One of the windows cut into the tunnel.

537075090_b8LGQ-L.jpg

Coming out the other side. The tunnel was a blast. Again, part of the magic of Zion.

537075307_oaB8A-L.jpg

Nearly up in the clouds.

537075837_SMcMd-L.jpg

Another OMG I can't believe I'm here. I had a few moments like this on the bike. I would ride the red-paved curves and giggle into my helmet. Had some great jazz playing in the headset too.

537078452_q92Am-L.jpg

Clouds starting to break up.

537078944_Ut5pD-L.jpg

Coming to the hair-pin by the arch.

537079763_44qBA-L.jpg

Blue skies are coming back!

537080963_vMrB7-L.jpg

Leaving the park.

537081579_5A9nX-L.jpg

From the park we rode back to I-15 and to Cedar City where we stopped at the Super Wal-Mart to pick up the camper and scout out a late lunch location. On the way into Cedar City, it started to rain. Which turned to sleet. So the group sought shelter in the gas station next to Wal-Mart.

Uncle Ron and Mike are having fun!

537082493_ajLrA-L.jpg

Its not really that cold. Maybe its the sleet and rain.

537083117_UYwRD-L.jpg

Mike's dressed for a snow-mobile outing. Turn's out Mike had the right idea.

537082697_Hy483-L.jpg

Even though you can't really see it, it's raining. And sleeting. And in the same photo we have fog. And blue skies. All at the same time in one photo. Wow. Here you see the group making the bee-line for the trailer and warmer gear.

537082904_9LZNf-L.jpg

After gearing up, we head for lunch. Chinese vewy yummy on cold wet day! Sorry, no photos, my hands were too frozen. I hadn't put my winter gloves on yet, but you can bet I'll have them on after lunch. During lunch, we talk about the route and Ron tells me that I might have 3" of snow on my bike in the morning. I"m thinking, no problem, that will make a cool photo op! Little did I know....

Next, we headed for highway 20, to make our way easterly and over to Panguitch, our home for the night. The temp is about 46 when we start at around 5:45 pm and dropping. We stopped at

We make it to highway 20 and start up the pass. Hwy 20 is a winding, two-laner that runs up a gorgeous mountain. It starts at about 5,900' feet, peaks at around 7,900' and then descends towards the Panguitch area. "Harley" is in the lead, followed by Tio Ron, Mike, myself, and bringing up the rear is Juanito pulling the camper. At this point it is raining and 42 degrees, the temperature is dropping, and needless to say, I'm not taking any pictures in the rain. As we ride, turning and climbing, the rain turns to snow. Great big beautiful flakes. The road surface is fine, the snow is melting on contact. It's also getting darker as the sun gets lower in the sky and gets obscured by the clouds.

As we continue up the mountain, I'm watching the temperature drop. Remember, I'm from Texas. The coldest I've ridden is 40, and I've never ridden in snow. I've got the heated grips turned on medium-low and my heated jacket liner on-low. Winter gloves and a balaclava help keep me warm, but I realize I've forgotten to put the liner inside my riding pants. My legs are cold but not uncomfortable as the FJR puts some engine heat on your legs. Feet are warm, the boots are doing a good job keeping my doggies warm and dry.

As the temp drops below 40, we keep climbing and I think to myself that it is time to formulate a plan B. Now the temp hits 36 and holds there for a few miles. My plan B is to watch the temperature and the minute it hits 34 I'm pulling over, taking lead of the group and turning us all around. I figure once it gets to 34 it will drop faster as we climb and the sun goes down. The road is fine for now, the snow is still melting but I'm starting to see signs of slush. I'm thinking to myself, this is getting crazy, the guys are going too fast (my GPS log for the last 2000' of climb averaged 49 mph), we have to consider Juanito is pulling a huge trailer with the dualy, and I'm feeling stoopid. And cold.

Suddely the snow gets really thick, visibility drops to about 1/4 mile, and Mike, riding in front of me, is gone. One second he is there, the next he is accelerating into the white and I have no idea where he is. I foolishly accelerate to catch up to him, but think better of it and slow down. If I go off a curve and down the mountain, chances are that Juanito won't see me and I will die on the mountain. There won't be any rescue tonight. If Mike goes off the mountain on a curve, I won't be there to see him either and chances are he will die too. The situation is getting ugly and I'm not happy.

The temperature drops to 34 and I pull the plug. Time to pull over. We are turning around and heading for lower ground and warmer temps. Hopefully Mike will notice that I'm not behind him any longer and will stop and wait. After not seeing me he might turn around to look for me. Hopefully the other two in front of Mike will do the same. Right?

The temperature dropped from 34 to 30 in the 10 minutes we waited for the rest of the group to turn around.

537084330_sqaMY-L.jpg

This is where Juanito and I stopped. Elevation 7706', temp 30. He was in full agreement that this was insanity.

537083404_XnhJQ-L.jpg

This is how much snow was accumulating while we waited the 10 minutes for the group. We had no cell service so couldn't reach anyone. Notice the GPS. Go Garmin! Zumo's are waterproof, snow proof, cold proof, fuel proof. Great gear.

537084598_B4DuH-L.jpg

Can't see through the windscreen? Well neither could I. It was a catch-22. I wanted the screen up to block the wind and snow, but then I couldn't see through it. So I would lower it just enough to see over the top, but then the snow would hit my helmet face shield and it would freeze up. I have to admit I was getting scared.

537085110_N7dGm-L.jpg

A full 10 minutes have gone by and still no Mike, Ron or Harley. Time to turn around and head for lower and safer riding.

537085968_ctWwk-L.jpg

Juanito sez "It's time to bail!"

537085358_WJAB7-L.jpg

I agree!

537084859_3oKDa-L.jpg

Its getting ridiculous.

537086551_DViVQ-L.jpg

We went back down the mountain looking for warmer temperatures. When it hit 36, we stopped to wait for the guys. Sure enough, we had cell service too.

537086745_tV8uL-L.jpg

Checking voice mail, I've got one from Mike. They are OK! Thank God. A quick call to Mike and I've got the news that they made it to the other side and are going to hole up in a hotel. At this point, I'm pretty mad that Mike lost me and never turned to look for me and I let him know. I think safety was compromised for everyone, both the riders and Juanito pulling the camper. And I'm not shy about letting Mike know. Mike tells me that he thinks he saw my headlights as he went over the crest, but said it must have been a car.

Juanito and I decided to head to Beaver, UT, find a nice campground, I would take a LONG hot shower and we'd eat a spectacular dinner to celebrate the end of a great day.

The rest of the ride was cold. Wet. Snowy until we got back to the interstate. From there it rained the rest of the way to Beaver. I got to the campground, cold, wet, angry, sad, tired, frustrated and still, a bit happy for how the first part of our day went. Certainly, the day was an adventure and there were plenty of lessons learned.

I took this photo the following day. This is where we camped. Not bad eh?

542451644_mRZok-L.jpg

This brings to an end one of the most adventurous days of our ride. It was an eye-opener for me and I certainly learned a lot about riding in cold and snow, group dynamics, proper ride planning (and lack there-of), group riding and safety. And most importantly, I learned about myself, people and friendships.

So what do you think about what happened?

Tomorrow: a decision to ride to Salt Lake, and the ride to Moab. Thanks for sticking with me...

Day 8, Beaver UT to Moab, UT

(Warning, lots of pictures, woohoo).

Route: Beaver, UT to I-15N, to I-70E to Crescent Junction, UT and 191S to Moab, Utah.

543186581_832cs-L.jpg

Distance: 231, about 6:30 on the bike.

Weather: Cold. Temps in the 40's and 50's, partly cloudy. And yes, snow. Again.

Plan for the day: Salt Lake or head towards Moab and then home.

The RV park we stayed at was spectacular. Owned by a husband and wife team, he runs the RV park and she the restaurant, Maria's. Maria is from Mexico and cooks authentic Mexican food. There in the middle of Utah. Again, I wished I had taken photos of the food, but the camera was drying out from all the snow and rain it had been through.

Last night we came to the realization that we had a lot of the luggage of the Harley riders that crossed the mountain pass the day prior. Somehow, we would have to rendezvous and get them their stuff. Mikey to the rescue!

542818571_Jcgxf-L.jpg

Mike showed up around 9:00 A.M. after a freezing ride back over the mountain along Hwy 20. He said that in some places there was so much snow he was riding the in tracks of the cars in front of him. Folks, we are taking late April. Wow.

Today I had to make another tough decision. Continue with Mike to Salt Lake, where I had the wonderful hospitality of his family to look forward to, or continue with Juanito for Albuquerque and then for home. Either choice would be great, but my heartstrings were pulling me towards my 2 month old son and his mom. If I went for Salt Lake, my trip would take at least 3 days longer and would make my run from Salt Lake to home completely solo. Not going to Salt Lake would leave one of my goals for the trip unrealized, but early on I decided that this trip was about the journey and not the destination.

Mike was disappointed, but like a true friend, supported my decision. So, the rest of the trip would be Beaver to Moab, the Cortez, Colorado, to 4 Corners, to Albuquerque to home.

For me, it had only been a week, I'd had more motorcycling adventure than I had ever had in my life, I was fatigued, a bit homesick, getting low on funds and ready to be home with my family.

Our favorite campground.

542818161_neHEZ-L.jpg

Mike's two cousins, Will and Rob, sons of Ron, were going to be riding by on the interstate, returning home from a biker rally in Nevada. A perfect opportunity to ride, and ride with family! Mike coordinated via cell phone, and we met up in Beaver at a gas station.

After leaving the campground, we decided it was time for lunch.

542819603_28F8D-L.jpg

These family-owned restaurants are often owned/operated by folks immigrated from Mexico and this is where to find the good stuff.

542820003_vMiuj-L.jpg

Mike and cousin Will rode with us for about an hour and a half, up I-15 and even rode part of I-70 with us before turning north for Salt Lake. Rob had to head back to work on homework, so we missed riding with him.

542820328_ffQfK-L.jpg

The scenery along I-70 in this part of Utah is spectacular. In my opinion, this has got to be one of the best drives along any interstate in the country.

At Castle Valley, taking a quick break.

542821023_U4sVB-L.jpg

I can't decide who is holding up whom.

542822025_VT3TH-L.jpg

It's getting cold, time to gear up. Winter gloves, electric jacket liner, waterproof pants liner, balaclava, and electric grips turned on.

542822749_3bn2g-L.jpg

And now, courtesy of my brother Juan, follow along with us as we ride (and drive) I-70 through Utah. (Special thanks to Juanito for the photos. To me, they are priceless).

542823959_E7ysm-L.jpg

542824678_bf3SQ-L.jpg

542825715_MxxP2-L.jpg

542826514_pwmJe-L.jpg

Could it be snowing? Again? Temp is 40F and it is melting on contact.

542827209_seJq5-L.jpg

542828941_jX8sx-L.jpg

542831837_xQYUw-L.jpg

542832117_67MiM-L.jpg

Riding in dry, fluffy snow is surrealistic. Traction was good, no worse than riding in a light rain. The illusion was of riding though a white tunnel, the huge flakes gracefully blowing over the front of the motorcycle and over my helmet. I'm not getting wet, and I'm pretty warm with my electric jacket liner turned on. It was a magical sensation.

542832907_wq8TJ-L.jpg

542834146_gFVMx-XL.jpg

Out of the snow and into better weather. Here's looking at ya!

542835010_yTKeH-L.jpg

542836450_QDJGW-L.jpg

542837215_HQU4m-L.jpg

542837977_bsQWu-L.jpg

For a few moments I've pulled ahead of the truck. The curves were too good to resist.

542839777_gzGP6-L.jpg

542840100_Hx6b9-L.jpg

Who'da thought the construction zone would be fun too?

542841681_paAaj-L.jpg

542842026_DzJvX-L.jpg

65 in the Zone? They've got the right idea, these Utah folks.

542842643_WXQgv-L.jpg

Look in the distance...

542843216_cxQGQ-L.jpg

Having a grand time. See anything wrong with my back tire?

542844947_ZNiMu-L.jpg

Making our way to Moab.

542845461_Ymoac-L.jpg

From here on, I, or should I say "we" didn't shoot any more pictures. I think we were just wanting to get to the campsite, setup the camper and have a nice dinner. Again, I had a lot of things on my mind. The ride was good for me. I thought a lot about the prior day and our snow adventure, my friends that I was leaving to head home early, I thought about my family and my parents. Music calmed my soul as I rode, but there was still something inside that was restless.

Another great campsite.

542845785_jHDVn-L.jpg

The view from our porch.

542846512_mRHLr-L.jpg

Thanks again for following along. I hope you enjoyed our trip thus far. Tomorrow we ride to Arches National Park. We got a couple of nice pictures to show you too.

sight.