How about a saftey tip from each member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a blind spot I never knew about until last week: I was riding north in the third of four lanes on Sepulveda Boulevard (in LA). I was speeding. A lunch wagon turned left in front of me, only a few yards away. I swerved to the left to go behind him and there is where I discovered the blindspot: A 1974 Eldorado, trying to sneak across, had tucked in behind, and I didn't see him until I cleared the lunch wagon. I couldn't swerve any farther left or I'd have been the on-coming traffic. Nothing else to do but slam on the binders and pray. This is where I found just how good the FJR's brakes are. I slowed enough for the Cadillac to clear. I went home, took a shower, and got a clean pair of pants.

The lesson: Don't assume there's nothing behind the lunch wagon.

Some things I haven't seen. I prefer to ride on two lane twisty back roads. Sure, I get plenty of super slab too, but when I can, it's the back roads.

1. When you come up on another rider, take your time about passing them. They are going slower than you, so their comfort level is lower. They may be focused only on the road ahead and you don't want to surprise them when you pass. Wait for a safe spot and give them a little room

THEN, check your mirrors. If the other rider is trying to keep up with you, take the time to pull over and flag him/her down. Have a friendly chat about how they were riding, and comfort levels, and you're concern that if they try to keep up with you they may get in over their head. I.E. Ride at your own pace, not someone else's. And if you're the rider that gets passed, let them go. That could be Rossi for all you know. Or just some maroon that doesn't know the roads and is about to get themselves into trouble.

2. When riding twisty roads you're not familiar with, look up and ahead, not just as far as you can see the road ahead. Tree lines, telephone poles, etc. will help you to see where the road is going before you can see the road itself. If you note something strange, like the overhead lines take a sudden turn or dissapear, this is your cue to SLOW DOWN more than you might for how the turn ahead looks.

3. When you're out of your home area, especially out of your home state, don't assume that a 30 mph, or other corner sign will indicate the same type of corner it does at home. The highway depts. vary a little in how they mark those corners. What may mean no need to slow at home, might mean "we're not kidding" in another state. Get a feel for what the fresh state's signs indicate before you apply your normal 'rules'.

4. Tip for the U-turn on the off camber or uphill/down hill road. Don't try to ride slowly thru the U-turn, instead, if pointing up hill, back around using your brake to control your speed and move perpendicular to the road, then just pull forward to make the second 90* of the U-turn.

If pointing down hill, slowly do a 90* over to the edge of the road, then back around so you're facing uphill, then take off again. Feet on the ground when doing the slow backing manuvers will allow control and limit the risk of falling over. Watch your footing!

If riding w/ a new pillion go over the rules w/ the ie; Move only when moving, lean w/ you etc. Make sure they know it. When I get one on the back I make sure they know the rules, 1st infraction gets a warning there is no second warning, only the curb. It's not worth all the consequences to ride w/ an idiot, save your bike, your pillion and yourself. They usually get the hint when the curb option is given, I'm not an ashat about it just firm in how it's done on my bike.

If you can ,use your newfound invisibility powers to your advantage.

KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS!!!!!!!!! Can't say that enough, see boys in over their heads all the time.

Just my obsevation from experience on this, if you care about your pillion ,ride like it. In MOST of the accidents I've seen the pillion is the worst off, sometimes dead w/ pilot walking around! Don't get me started on the stories, I'll just get pissed off again. If you have gear, they should be wearing same amnt of gear be strong on this. My wife,who is a cop, tried pulling the "we're not a mandatory helmet law state" crap on me, I told her the state isn't,my bike is get the helmet on or someone else will. Next shift, a girl falls off a squids bike, she's dead under a truck, we found her by following first her hair/scalp, then white stripe that used to be her skull ,then red and gray matter to her body.My wife showed up on scene to help find her, it sobered her up to realize the girl woulda had a bad headache and a busted helmet if she wore one,instead she died at 23 yrs old. Don't forget about their safety. You're just as, if not more, responsible for their safety then yours. Just imagine how you'll explain what happened to their family if something happens, because at some point you probably will, unless you're dead,in jail or a scumbag.

Sorry for the bummer but , I rarely read passenger safety tips and figured they should be included. Don't forget if you have medical problems to get medic alert tag too! It may just save your life, as well as look stylish :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All of you have some good advice, but I think someone said ride for the crash, not the ride.

I just scanned the 9 pages of this stuff and I think Radman and maybe 2 other people mentioned this, it saved me from massive facial reconstruction and a broken knee and I was only going 25 MPH.

All The Gear, All the Time or ATGATT.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=13949

I landed on my right chin, then the right arm, then the right knee, then the right toe. They all would have been destroyed if not for the gear I had on. BTW, The pic of my helmet doesn't show how it is ground down deep past the paint and into the plastic.

BB III

NEVER ASSUME.
Keep asking yourself "What If"

Rad took all my other thoughts in his list of 50 :dribble:

"What if" is why I will not EVER ride again - what if I didn't just stop behind those stupid cagers that pulled to the right - I would still have my farkled out FJR with the Holeshot system that O'vale loves.

In fact, O'vale helped me so much after my crash, that I'm thinking that during the Xmas break I will connect with his wife and secrectly get a dummy cutout of an FJR put in his garage (while he is out riding his new moto GP bike) and have a full holeshot system installed on his pathetic sounding FJR :D :D :D

That is one cool Avatar - TIMMY-the rock star :D

As for telling pillons to lean with you, I just tell them "stay behind me and don't lean." They'll naturally lean a bit anyway and 9 times out of 10 if I tell them to lean they'll over do it and sometimes even lean the wrong way.

As for telling pillons to lean with you, I just tell them "stay behind me and don't lean." They'll naturally lean a bit anyway and 9 times out of 10 if I tell them to lean they'll over do it and sometimes even lean the wrong way.
+1 on "Don't lean." I tell pillions not to move when we're turning. They seem to get that.

I see gravel and paint lines listed, but i dont think anyone mentioned the tar strips that are all over many asphalt roads. They can be slick as glass in many different weather conditions, and are all over the place, at least here in MI. This includes when hot, as they get VERY soft and oily.

Now, Im a noob, but I was taught not to cover the brake or clutch unless you are using them. Keeping a firm but not white knuckle grip can help prevent/control steering oscillations, and gives you more control of the throttle and steering. Also, use all four fingers for the clutch and brake for maximum control. The reaction time of the the brake hand is very quick once the reflex is developed. Also, keep your knees held into the tank, especially during low speed maneuvers to keep your torso linked to the bike. (there are exceptions to this) This greatly improves stability and control of the bike and makes slow riding much easier.

This is obvious, but always make sure your bike is vertical before sudden braking. If your in a corner, right the bike quickly then stop. If you lock your rear brake or your rear tire brakes loose, KEEP IT LOCKED. If you dont, you may highside. (pain). It is far better to lowside than to risk a highside. Usually you can countersteer enough to avoid dropping the bike as you ride your locked rear tire to a COMPLETE stop. Yep, keep it locked to a complete stop. Thats what they taught us. Spent a lot of time in training class learning this. Almost highsided in training going just a few miles an hour on LOOSE GRAVEL by not coming to a complete stop (scared the pants off the instructors :D ). On pavement, I would have been in the hospital.

Leave a bike-length in front of you when you stop so you have space to react to the make-up-applying cell phone user/cage driver behind you. Downshift into first before coming to a stop and leave the bike IN GEAR. Keep your right foot on the rear brake and left foot down when stopped. This all is unnecessary if you dont follow the above tips to watch the CDs behind you to see if they are going to mow you down.

Slip the clutch with a little throttle and use ONLY your rear brake to modulate your speed when riding at low speeds and doing tight maneuvering.

As mentioned, know and practice the braking limits of your bike. It will probably save your life.

Also, taking a racing line in corners on the street can be very dangerous. Its a good way to lose your head on a left-hand turn. Unless you insist on pushing every limit on your bike, it is generally best to maintain your lane position in a curve.

As previously mentioned, but cannot be mentioned enough, TAKE A GOOD CLASS. All the information above is from the experience of my instructors who were all expert riders (not my own), and from many studies that the program was developed on. I dont believe the basic MSF class is enough. I took a police motorcycle training class for civilians offered by michigan state university. It is excellent. You may want to rent the police harleys that they offer if any happen to want to take the class, cuz you will drop your bike in this class. I would probably still be sucking on a yukon bumper if I hadnt learned proper evasion and braking techniques from a class like this.

Now, being a noob, im sure Ill be torn apart for half the stuff I said, but keep in mind, I didnt say it, my instructors did (with the exception of the tar strips). Just passing it on.

I bought a yellow safety vest from Home Depot and wear it at night. I don't know if it has helped avoid an accident but I do know I am better seen!!!!!!!!

When stopped at a light and a cage is approaching your ass. Toggle the brake light a few times as they come up. When I do this they tend to give me LOTS of room. I can sometimes see them go "Oh" as if they just saw me in my mirror

Lots of good points, most of which I use.

On a busy highway I always ride the far left lane, giving way when tailed, so as to only be "exposed" on one side. Another advantage is no trucks/thrown retreads in the left lane. Finally, assuming heavy traffic,contrary to MSF, my position in the lane is dictated by the vehicle in front of me. I will ride the lane position that allows me to see past the vehicle in front. This means riding on the far side of the lane (left or right) but maximizes my readiness for surprises lying ahead. FWIW

George

Well I figured I mize well weigh in! And Its Ehrlich with an H . My grandson and I were heading up 400 which is (at this piont) 2 lanes north seperated by a grass medium then 2 lanes south. When we came to the intersection (light) I paid close attention to everything, I thought. Some pee brainj enters the north bound lane and decides she realy wants to go southbound. Immediately after entering right lane pulls a u turn trying to back to the intersection. I am doing at least 55. I see her and swerv towards the medium no other place to go. She for what ever reason stops in the right lane and then gases it. At that point the bike was just righted. The medium is a good place to go down its softer than asphalt. I did not have time to go in either direction. Yes I ordered another one and Iwill not put anybody on the back, solo for me. I paln to stand on the seat and jump high and fast.

Also Myth busters sould cotact Conn power someone drank a 6 pack and pissed on a 100,000 volt line. He died.

anyway all stay safe stay very alert and try to consider everything.

+1 on "Don't lean." I tell pillions not to move when we're turning. They seem to get that.
I prefer to tell them "Look over my shoulder in the direction of the turn". This makes them hold their body just right.

Uhm....slow FREAKIN' down! How's that?

This thought got drilled into us at a course I took. "Nobody ever got hurt by taking a corner 5 mph slower" .