How long does it take for coolant level to settle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullchat

Reaction score
Hello

I have replaced my coolant and done the 'burp'.

I topped up the reservoir to max.

I have noticed that each time the bike has cooled after a ride (probably 5 x 30 mile rides now) the coolant level is slightly less on each occasion.

No apparent leaks.

Is this normal? Does the level take some time to settle?

On a car I have found that I might have to do this once only.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd Keep checking. No need to fill each time it's slightly below unless it gets to the minimum mark. Should stabilize soon. Mine took about 2-3 times then it was fine. I only checked/filled it once a week or so, until it was ok.

I've changed my coolant twice and have been lucky I guess. Drain, fill, warm up, check level, ride. Never needed to do a burp.

I think the secret might have been that you were only riding 30 miles, especially at this time of year. The bike was not going through a full heat/cool cycle. My guess is that it's moot at this point in time as the level has probably stabilized by now. If it hasn't, try a six hour ride. That'll take care of it.

Dan

Must be lucky here too. Fill the radiator up fully, let it sit for a few minutes and top off again. Fill the overflow tank to full mark, start bike and let it run through a couple fan cycles.

Let it cool enough (30 minutes or so) to remove cap and final top off...done. Overflow tank level never changes until next change.

--G

length of ride does not matter as much as allowing the bike to get up to 3-4 bars to heat up the coolant and then get the thermostat to open to cycle the coolant and allow any air bubbles to move around. I recently did my coolant following my valve adjustment and today was the first time my bike got up to 3-4 bars and quite a bit of coolant came out the overflow tube. It rises in the overflow reservoir when the bike gets to 3 bars and does not lower until the fan kicks in on the 4th temp bar, then it rapidly lowers to the point that the overflow tank pretty much empties. After the bike cools the coolant settles near the middle of the overflow tank again.

I did open the radiator bleeder valve to allow all the air to leave the system and fill completely with coolant.

I hope my thermostat is working correctly. Bike does run real nice and cool, rarely gets to 3 bars unless I'm stuck in traffic. I think my bike just had too much coolant in it.