how many gadgets can i run without blowing chunks?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyMtnWay

Reaction score
Before I ride to Hyder, I want to make sure I'm not running too much gear on my '05 FJR. I've gone all Alton Brown style on the bike since I got it. There must be a reason people run voltmeters sometimes.

How many toys can I run?

Currently drawing off battery: Garmin Zumo 550, Passport 8500, Sirius Sportster 4, MixIt2. Occassionally: charging cell phone or recharging helmet cam rechargable battery pack. (but typically I don't have to do that while riding - more of an end-of-day/hotel thing). All other gear (iPod, etc.) runs off battery - so essentially just those four primary devices. Oh wait - I have Yamaha heated grips too that I run when it's cool.

I'm a techno gear/gadget freak, but I wouldn't even know where to go to look for my fusebox, so I'm trying to do some due dilligence. If it's not an IP network and/or if it requires mechanics - "I'm out.".

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Main reason we run voltmeters is because of high amperage draw items like heated clothing, extra lights, or heated grips.

I don't think the items you mention are anywhere on the same end of the spectrum...while you're riding at least. You have plenty of reserve capacity as long as you're not running the above items.

However, while I'd be fine with leaving a Zumo on all night if you wired it directly to the battery....I probably wouldn't do the same for the detector, charging stuff, etc.

Main reason we run voltmeters is because of high amperage draw items like heated clothing, extra lights, or heated grips.
I don't think the items you mention are anywhere on the same end of the spectrum...while you're riding at least. You have plenty of reserve capacity as long as you're not running the above items.

However, while I'd be fine with leaving a Zumo on all night if you wired it directly to the battery....I probably wouldn't do the same for the detector, charging stuff, etc.
I thought they would be pretty low-draw stuff, but wanted to make sure. I'll quickly detach everything, including the Garmin and not have it running when the bike is stopped or at the end of the day.

Thanks for your input.

I've had no problems charging my cell phone and portable video player overnight while camping. I was in Hyder on Sunday - the weather was the usual summer overcast and occasional light showers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have no high draw items on your list. There are folks running heated grips, heated vests, auxiliary lighting, etc that are drawing 5 to 6 times the power the devices you listed are drawing.

You are in good shape for now! But, farklitis may catch up!

I've had no problems charging my cell phone and portable video player overnight while camping. I was in Hyder on Sunday - the weather was the usual summer overcast and occasional light showers.
Thanks again. I do have heated grips, but obviously they aren't running when the bike is stopped, so I suspected it would be OK.

I was in Hyder in '05 - great weather - no rain!

I always wondered why the folks who do Hyderseek - go up in June !!?!?! I'd go along if it was a little later in the season.

Heading up by myself again. Used to live in Terrace BC (for one summer), so it was good to see it after many years...

Thanks again. I do have heated grips, but obviously they aren't running when the bike is stopped, so I suspected it would be OK.

I was in Hyder in '05 - great weather - no rain!

I always wondered why the folks who do Hyderseek - go up in June !!?!?! I'd go along if it was a little later in the season.

Heading up by myself again. Used to live in Terrace BC (for one summer), so it was good to see it after many years...
There's one way you can know for sure - gat with someone who has an amp clamp (electrian - or maybe your dealer) turn on all your goodies at once and see what the current draw is.

Doesn't sound like you're "to the max" as of yet.