How much oil is too much?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serhan

Reaction score
I have seen others bringing this issue up before, and I am wondering how much exra oil is bad?

Some members stated that if you put in as much oil as the users manual suggests, there will be no visible bubble left in the oil window.

Well after my 600 mile service, I checked the window and there was no bubble. I siphoned some of the oil out, and after 16 ounces, the oil level on the window seems to be at the high mark when the engine is warmed up. The bike was on the centerstand when I made the adjustment. Here are some photos as well.

level after adjustment, and the excess oil in snaple bottle

2867166530_f863690ce7.jpg

level after the adjustment

2867165866_247cb32cc4.jpg

My questions are

• Is 16 ounces to much overfill? Any risk of damage?
  • Did I take out too much oil out?
As far as the ride goes, it seems to ride fine, and a bit smoother, but that may be just a mental thing.

Thanks,

Serhan.

serhan,

It looks great to me. Better a little too little than too much. Too much oil can create higher crankcase pressures and you can get more oil blowby throught the rings and such.

These oil sights sure are tricky, I had to siphon my out several times just to be sure.

and too much oil is bad because the crank will froth the oil like whipped cream. The result will be the oil pump will be trying to pump air, and air doesn't lubricate as well as oil.....bad things happen after that.

Mine was overfilled too. When I did the 600 mile service, I added one gallon and then slowly added more till I got about the same level as in your pic. The extra amount I added seemed to be in the 1/4 quart range, so I think the specified amount gets it right where you have it now. At least that's the way it worked with the slightly larger Bosch filter I used, but it could only hold an ounce or so more. I don't think the filter size mattered that much.

I had the feeling that it was smoother with 15/40 in it. Sure seemed like the stuff I drained out was a light weight oil

and too much oil is bad because the crank will froth the oil like whipped cream. The result will be the oil pump will be trying to pump air, and air doesn't lubricate as well as oil.....bad things happen after that.
A little over full is OK but not a full quart. Aeration is bad. It can show itself as lower oil pressure or not, but you can be sure it's happening if you're a quart over. I know since you found it too full, you'll never let that happen again so you should be OK.

serhan - You DID have the FJR's engine RUNNING when you put it up on the centerstad (before checking oil level) didn't you?

It is important to follow that step for accurate oil level readings.

serhan - You DID have the FJR's engine RUNNING when you put it up on the centerstad (before checking oil level) didn't you?
It is important to follow that step for accurate oil level readings.
I rode the bike home, killed the engine, put it on the center stand, then I started in neutral once i got it up on the stand, let it idle, and then killed it. I took out the excess, and idled a bit, killed and once the oil level stopped rising, and stabled, thats when I took the pictures.

Was that wrong?

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
mine won't show full until I put almost 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 qt. in. if I put in factory specs it only shows 1/2 full in the sight glass. Hasn't hurt my 03 after 6 years of reliable service.

Me thinks you are over thinking this deal. I've never had an issue with too much/too little oil after the change. It's just too easy to get it right. Just my thoughts.

Interesting that this question should pop up just now. I changed the oil on my SV-650, and a week or so later my clutch action just totally absolutely went to shit. No other way of describing it. It varied in how it engaged, wouldn't keep the adjustment, started clunking, and finally just wouldn't go into neutral when it was hot. I'd put genuine Suzuki oil in it (almost the last I had) so I knew it wasn't the oil. It was really being annoying and I even got stuck in 2nd at a light once.

After about a week of this, I was about to tear the clutch out and start inspecting plates, when I noticed it had too much oil in it. I'd filled it sitting on a Baxley Sport Chock which kept it vertical but lifted the front wheel up a couple inches. I ended up sucking about a Solo cup and a half (maybe 1/4-1/3 qt?) out with a syringe, until it was in the middle of the sight glass on level concrete. I let it sit overnight, and the next day (Tuesday) my clutch was totally back to normal without any of the problems I'd had, and it's stayed that way.

Now I notice if I fill it on the chock to the bottom line, it's about 3/4ths to the top line when it's on flat concrete. I'll remember that for next time.

Anyway, I think the FJR's probably much less sensitive being a much bigger engine, but I figured people'd be interested in hearing my experience.