How tall are you?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmanhawaii

Reaction score
Looking at buying my first FJR. I'm 6'6" and 270 lbs. Anyone similar size, looking for feeback on riding position, comfort, etc.

Thanks 

Inseam is probably more important than height.  I have a 34" inseam at 6'3" (210 lb) and can't deny that I wouldn't mind a little more room between seat and pegs.  Aftermarket seats and highway pegs can help.  There are peg-lowering brackets but you may find that cornering clearance is reduced too much.  You may need a taller windscreen as well.

5' 11", 310 - 200 lbs, 30" inseam. The FJR works fine for me for back-to-back 750-1200 mile days (11 in a row iirc) WITH a Russell Day-Long seat.

Ignacio's links missed one thing that I found helpful for a tallish FJR rider - shortened dog bones. The seat to pegs distance stays the same, but I was able to stretch a bit more on a trip due to the elevated swingarm.  Also, with my lovely passenger and our luggage we were always at the (ahem) max weight limit, but rode level due to the shorter dog bones. And always had the OEM shock under us.

Yeah, get the bike, you'll love the bike!

5' 11", 220 lbs.

I have enjoyed 2 different Feejers (Gen 1, Gen 3), and can admit that even for me, after 3 or 4 days in the saddle, they can feel just a little cramped. However, the tradeoffs I embrace with this Yamaha model outweigh that situation (your personal dimensions may certainly require modifications). Both my bikes have had the lift & shift handlebar mounting blocks, and now on my Gen 3, I have the seat set to its high position...

On most longer days, you'll notice me standing on pegs to stretch a bit while riding through towns, reaching behind with alternating hands to grasp the passenger grabrail and stretch my shoulders, etc. However, outside of a LazyBoy (Goldwing) or big heavy cruiser, I couldn't imagine having a combination of better comfort & good ergonomics. I bouhgt my 2nd Feejer this past April because overall, it just feels right.

Good luck.

Yup, CP has it down for how to extend a ride. IMO I find isometrics for shoulders, elbows, wrists, waist, hips, knees, and ankles. I do a round of stuff about every 20 minutes to keep from stiffening up. You can't sit in one position without moving for 3 hours in your favorite easy chair either.

Picked up my new to me 2016 this afternoon. About an 1.5 hour ride home from shop I picked it up from. Felt good other than a little stiffness in my shoulder and kneck on left side but that is more due to old injuries.

It was about 45 degrees when I pulled out, and 38 by the time I got home. Heated grips definitely a plus. My Fox River leather jacket with  liner and just a long sleeve shirt worked okay. Any longer of a ride would've been too much, pretty cold by the time I got home.

Hard to really get a feel fir the bike during an hour and a half of freeway riding but so far I'm liking it.

Check your tire pressure.  Lots of dealers seem to set them low.  For most of us, around 40 to 42 front and 42 to 44 rear seems to be the sweet spot.  (Tires will last longer with less cupping as well)   Other than that, do the prescribed maintenance, come here for advice/help and have a great time with it.  (Don't ask about oil)

Check your tire pressure.  Lots of dealers seem to set them low.  For most of us, around 40 to 42 front and 42 to 44 rear seems to be the sweet spot.  (Tires will last longer with less cupping as well)   Other than that, do the prescribed maintenance, come here for advice/help and have a great time with it.  (Don't ask about oil)
Oil? What the problem with asking about oil? Too many different opinions?

Oil? What the problem with asking about oil? Too many different opinions?
It is something that will immediately get sent to NEPRT (Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads).  Discussed and beaten to death far too many times.  

Oil is good - bike needs it

Change as per manufacturer guidelines

Do not use one with "energy saving" additives which might make clutch slip

No recorded failure of any FJR due to choice of oil

Synthetic or conventional, motorcycle-specific or not, OEM filter or aftermarket "car" filter - it's all good.

The FJR engine is one of the most bulletproof of any MC engine - good for over 150,000 miles (sometimes much more) as long as you don't beat the snot out of it.

6'10" here, '05 GEN1... nothing fits me great but I've got the stock seat, peg lowering brackets, bar risers, taller windshield. Works for my type of riding (mostly local stuff) but I can't sit on it all day. I don't think I've even sat on any newer FJR. However, some of the larger Adv bikes seem to fit me reasonably well... Super Tenere, BMW GS etc... (based on just sitting on them).
Mr. BR

6'7 278lbs. 07 fjr. Tall screen ,everything stock. Not all day comfortable for me, had 97 blackbird , fit well, my big dog ridge back had me the most stretched out comfort, minus any rear suspension. Damn my genetics

6’2”, 230lbs…Russell Day-Long seat, Yamaha taller windshield, MRA X-Creen wind deflector, Bar Risers. Change one thing at a time, go for a long-ish ride, evaluate…

6' even, maybe 6'1"-2" with riding boots on. 32" inseam and a bit heavier than you. Bought my 18 used, in less than a year I've put over 10K miles on it. Came with a taller VStream windscreen and Corbin seat, would love to go to a Laam or RDL. Other than the cold or inclement weather the windshield is always in the down position. I put a Helibridge on the bars and lowering pegs. Much more comfortable now. Along with the taller bars and an extra inch of leg room will do, but yeah, you drag the pegs through the corners more often. Eh, their inexpensive small, easy to replace bolts when the time comes. I've also added a TFX rear shock built to my weight, gear, luggage, which will help, as factory shock is designed for a sub-200lb person. Major handling change, rear end not a 'floaty' or bouncy, slinky all over the place. Can't wait to do the front forks when the weather cools back off.

6ft, 6 1 in boots. 33-34 inseam. 195 depending on lunch. ABM bar conversion with wider renthal bars and up and back risers.

I'm 6'6" 220# 36" inseam. I still have my 2006 FJR (Gen II) and am very happy with it. I run a Sargent seat in the high spot and have handle bar spacers installed.