how to extract rubber grommet from clip on??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjryder

Reaction score
hi guys. just bought a used throttlemeister, but dont have the extraction tool to remove the rubber grommet in the clip on of an 08 fjr....

i know there has been a couple of write ups, but is there another way to get it out other than taking a hacksaw to the clip ons????

any ideas would be appreciated. any GOOD ideas...

hi guys. just bought a used throttlemeister, but dont have the extraction tool to remove the rubber grommet in the clip on of an 08 fjr....
i know there has been a couple of write ups, but is there another way to get it out other than taking a hacksaw to the clip ons????

any ideas would be appreciated. any GOOD ideas...
Surely there is someone around here who could loan you their removal tool. I would, but I just sold my Throttlemeister (including the removal tool) to someone else.

One could be fabricated, but you would need to find a short length of pipe that exactly matches the diameter of the handlebar. Then you would just need a thick fender washer or really any piece of strong steel with a hole in it, and a long bolt that fits the threads on the grommet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you located. I have one you might borrow, if you can't get it from the OO of your throttlemeister and don't feel comfortable making one out of a socket, fender washer and bolt. I'm in southern New Hampshire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked at my kit, in the garage. Throttlemeister has a part no. for the puller (BH650). If it's easier for you, maybe you can get one from them. Lacking that, the puller sleeve looks like you could substitute a 19mm socket for it, probably doesn't need to be a deep socket. The puller bolt is 10mm. Not sure what the pitch is - take the barend bolt with you to the Ace hardware store and you can duplicate the thread. Add a fender washer and you have a puller. Just a note on extraction, the Throttlemeister instructions indicate you should lube the puller bolt and be very sure to keep the sleeve straight. Good luck.

Just looked at my kit, in the garage. Throttlemeister has a part no. for the puller (BH650). If it's easier for you, maybe you can get one from them. Lacking that, the puller sleeve looks like you could substitute a 19mm socket for it, probably doesn't need to be a deep socket. The puller bolt is 10mm. Not sure what the pitch is - take the barend bolt with you to the Ace hardware store and you can duplicate the thread. Add a fender washer and you have a puller. Just a note on extraction, the Throttlemeister instructions indicate you should lube the puller bolt and be very sure to keep the sleeve straight. Good luck.

thanks guys. i'll give it a try with the 19mm socket and a fender washer....i'll let you guys know....