How Tough Is Your Top Box???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike13

Reaction score
I have a Givi 52 and found out the hardway just how tough it is...

Long story short...

It came off while rolling down the interstate at 80mph with my laptop and a couple other delicate electronic devices inside. :blink:

When I found the Givi I was shocked and suprised to find it in one piece. It was completely intact and was still locked with everything inside. Obviously it was rashed, but it is still completely functional and I am posting this from the laptop that was inside the Givi. :)

Why did the Givi come off?

I had ridden from St. Louis to Michigan to ride with some friends on a Pokerrun for charity. While on the Pokerrun, several people were interested in the FJR(as I was the only sporttourer) and liked the idea of being able to remove the hard luggage and take it into the hotel and the end of the day. A couple people removed the Givi and put it back on. My guess is that the last person to put it back on the bike did not get it latched all the way. I should have checked before leaving....but did not.

I have had the Givi for several thousand miles and it has always be securely mounted. I rode it back from Indiana where it came off and it is solid.

Same thing happened to me and my Shad 48 topbox. 70 mph, Asheville. I too was very happy to find that the box and its contents (fully loaded) survived the get-off surprisingly well. Box didn't come open, no structural damage. As with your box, only some road rash. I also blame it on not being fully locked into the mounting plate.

Sir,

my topbox is really tough. It is a Hepco & Beckerbox, standing on a H&B solid welded baserack. When not using the topbox I'm able to put on a softbox which is held in place by the means of a little sissybar (the H & B fundament have high rail in front) and straps.

IMHO the Give outfit is not good enough....