Hyosung GV650?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a craigslist ad:

*This is a full sized 650cc bike with amazing power and handling!!!!! :lol:

Arlen Ness Chrome cateye mirrors (that alone makes it worth buying!)

*Steel braided brake lines :ninja:

*Upgraded LED turn sigs front and rear :rofl:

*Undertail modified for sexier look :exclamation:

*Chrome bullets :dirol:

*Chrome licence plate frame with custom hardware :dance:

and from another ad for a 250cc:

"Very fast, keeps up with Yamahas, but nice and light for great fuel savings." :blink:

Every owner's review I've read on the Hyosung has been very bad. I've seen a few broken down on the side of the road.

I agree with Scooter, the Vulcan 900 is a great bike. He could pick up a used 800 for well below his budget, I think mine sold for around $5000 with a bunch of mods. Both are great beginner bikes that he won't outgrow too quickly.

I speak in favor of the Ninja 650R, since that's what I ride to work each day. Some days I enjoy riding that little bike so much that I wonder why I have an FJR but then I ride the big bike and remember exactly why!

I would certainly suggest the smaller Ninjettes for beginners but this is one hefty dude we're trying to fit out with a bike here. The 650R has a decent amount of power, for someone who can modulate their throttle hand. It's not likely to send him over the top with a wheelie, first time out though. Very comfortable seating position, similar to the FJR but after 100 miles or so, the foam covered plank posing as a seat, reveals it's true comfort level.

Plenty of lean angle clearance, so none of that freaky noise when floorboards drag (one of my main reasons for trading the VStar). The Ninja almost leans itself into turns, it's so light and easy to handle.

Seat height is about the same as the FJR but the bike weighs only 398lbs dry. My FJR is lowered but the Ninja is stock. The weight difference means that my 26" inseam actually feels more stable on the Ninja. You buddy should be close to flat footing the bike.

67MPG for last week's tank of gas! Need I say more?

Jill

My advise buy a used jap bike. My first was a Kawi zr7 a standard aircooled 750, no fairings so if/when I dropped it. and parts are everywhere. and when he is ready to move up it still holds its value...

Last edited by a moderator:
www.faster and faster.net: "BMW have moved production of their G-series bikes to China, to take advantage of the lower production costs there. In fact, the single-cylinder engine used on the G650 range is actually manufactured by Loncin, a Chinese company that makes motorcycles, motorcycle engines and various motorcycle components."
So far the story is disputed on the BMW corporate site. The "official moderator" says that BMW are building engines for a 450 that has not yet made it over to the US in Taiwan. They say that BMW is NOT outsourcing bike manufacturing beyond the Aprilia project where manufacturing is taking place in Italy.

I have asked if the Fast and Faster story is just flat out BS, and am waiting for a direct response.

There are a lot of rumors out there. I think with the damage that Hyonsung has done to China's reputation as a possible 2 wheel vehicle manufacturer, anyone who gets involved in building their bikes in China for sale outside of China is going to be in for a rude awakening.

My advise buy a used jap bike. My first was a Kawi zr7 a standard aircooled 750, no fairings so if/when I dropped it. and parts are everywhere. and when he is ready to move up it still holds its value...
+1

The other really important thing is to make sure he does the MSF course he's signed up for. Its well worth it. The advice from the instructors, plus the two days of parking lot waltzing with a 250 class bike are extremely valuable to wannabee riders.

One of my friends is looking to buy a bike. Had him sit on the FeeJer the other night. At 5'6" it ws a long way down to the floor for him. This is going to be his first bike, he's taking a MC course this weekend and hoping to have a bike in his garage with in 2 weeks. Trying to keep it in the 6k range. he mentioned the Hyosung GV650. Looks alot like a Vrod to me. Seems to be a nice first bike although hes a real big 5'6" @ 240lbs and will probably want a bigger displacement with in a year or so. Anybody familiar with this. Another bike he's considering is the Yamaha VStar.
Hyosung GV650
Before the FJR I had a Kaw 800 Vulcan Classic. Great bike, I understand the replacement 900 is even better. I got a little bored with the whole cruiser thing. It was a bit underpowered for interstate riding. 300-400 mile days were no problem comfort wise with the right seat and windshield/lower setup. I would recommend one plus you can find 'em for a very reasonable price.

Danno

Looks like a cheap POS to me....granted they do have a suzuki v-twin in it 650.
Owning an SV650S myself, I must disagree. The only things these two engines share are displacement and the 90 degree V.

But while on the subject of the SV, why not a SV650 standard (unfaired). Nice upright riding position, reasonably low seat, lightweight with decent power. If your friend was a little taller, I'd suggest the V-Strom.

Owning an SV650S myself, I must disagree. The only things these two engines share are displacement and the 90 degree V.

But while on the subject of the SV, why not a SV650 standard (unfaired). Nice upright riding position, reasonably low seat, lightweight with decent power. If your friend was a little taller, I'd suggest the V-Strom.
I agree. These engines share nothing but the V and the 650.

Regarding the Wee-Strom, you can get dogbones and drop it down to the height of mere mortals. The forks can be clamped an inch lower to stay close on steering geometry. I have a height challenged friend who did this, and he thiks the Wee-Strom is the best bike he's ever owned (he's a Suzuki affecianado).

I agree. These engines share nothing but the V and the 650.
From MCN: "Hyosung GT models have DOHC, 8 valve V-twin engines, based on Suzuki designs"

There appears to be nothing 'sacred' concerning Suzuki/Hyosung V-twin engines. They're available for use by any manufacturer who wishes to buy them: In Suzuki's case -- Bimota and Cagiva (know owned by Hardley-Ableson); Italjet and Fischer (for Hyosung) and probably many others? It remains to be seen if parts interchange -- but I wouldn't bet against it.

The practice of Japanese manufaturers selling/licensing designs to Korean manufacturers is nothing new. 'Mitsubitchi' :unsure: to Hyundai is probably the most well-known. Even MamaYama does it (to others)!

Hyosung has a 400 and 450 single dirt-bike, too (just like Suzuki).

Engine swapping/selling/sharing in the auto/motorcycle industry is not news (just, the consumer knowing it might be?). :rolleyes:

I now have an answer to my direct question about BMW and the idea that they are manufacturing bikes in China.It is from the formal moderator of the BMW Motorrad corporate site. FWIW, the official moderator generally does not participate in threads. I was pleased that my question was allowed, and at least one dealer posted back with data from "Dealer News" which also did not support the notion that any BMW motorcycles were being built in China.

"the twins, as in the F bikes, use Rotax, made in Austria engines. They are called F800GS, F650GS and F800ST. By the way, Aprilia, KTM, Can Am, new Buell all use Rotax engines.

Some G650X bikes also use Rotax single cylinder engines. The G650Xcountry uses the engines that are assembled by a chinese company. The G450X uses the special BMW designed engine made by Kymco.

None of these bikes are made outside of Germany. Every BMW motorcycle is made in Germany. The engines mentioned above are shipped to Germany and put on bikes there. The only exception is that, G650Xmoto and Xchallenge are made in Italy by Aprilia for BMW.

Hope this is not too confusing."

It is possible that BMW is helping the Chinese establish a Chinese manufacturing facility for units to be sold in China, but this is just speculation on my part.

At this point I would discount the credibility of the Fast and Faster news story as far as the extrapolation that they are actually building BMW motorcycles in China.

From MCN: "Hyosung GT models have DOHC, 8 valve V-twin engines, based on Suzuki designs"
If you compare them closely, as I have, they're not the same. A fairly blatant copy, I'll admit. Maybe they use the same spark plugs. ;)

"based on Suzuki designs" could very well be true, as they do share displacement and cylinder angle. They both have eight valves, but few motorcycles built today have less than 4 valves per cylinder. I could just as well say that the FJR engine is based on the previous gen Hayabusa engine. After all, they both are 1300 cc I-4 engines with 4 valves per cylinder. However, I doubt anyone here would think that was true.

If you compare them closely, as I have, they're not the same. A fairly blatant copy, I'll admit. Maybe they use the same spark plugs. ;)
"based on Suzuki designs" could very well be true, as they do share displacement and cylinder angle. They both have eight valves, but few motorcycles built today have less than 4 valves per cylinder. I could just as well say that the FJR engine is based on the previous gen Hayabusa engine. After all, they both are 1300 cc I-4 engines with 4 valves per cylinder. However, I doubt anyone here would think that was true.
I agree with you that the copy is blatant, but easily recognized for its shortcomings. Like a Rembrandt painted by number.

FWIW, the Chinese have historically had a serious disagreement with the West about what is fair use as far as intellectual property is concerned. They will eventually be building engines that compete with Suzuki (and others) based on Suzuki's (and others') designs.... If countries won't accept them for import, they'll still make a ton of money selling them inside China, so what do they care.

I have been in the same dealership. Looks like it is on its last BMW legs. Sad too because they used to have parts in stock for my older K100RS when I would stop in. Nice folks. The little hyosung sport bike looked pretty decent. Older technology, but clean lines.

Since BMW went the way of the FJR, that's why I bought the FJR. I can't justify the price difference, plus the FJR is a much better looking bike, and I have yet to have anyone ask me if that is a Yamaha. Every person has asked me if that is a new BMW? Everyone.

Who cares.

There's a beemer/hyosung dealer (go figure!) near my house. Sitting on the showroom floor, you can certainly see the difference in quality.
If you're friend is dead set on getting one, he can pick up a used one for half price. They apparently drop like a rock in value.

Used Magna, it'll last longer than a normal starter bike and can be found cheap. They run forever, and really only falter with the weak rear drum brake.

Completely agree. As an old sv650 owner I know for a fact that the hyosung 650 and the suzuki 650 are two totally different engines.

The Hyosung Motorcycles remind me of when the Yugo Cars came to the US. When you go to look up the Blue Book it asks how much fuel is in the tank to determine the value! :lol:

JW:

Which reminds me:

How do you make a Yugo go faster?

A towtruck.

What do you call the shock absorbers inside a Yugo?

Passengers.

Two guys in a Yugo were arrested last night in Oakland following a push-by shooting incident.

A friend went to a dealer the other day and said, "I'd like a gas cap for my Yugo." The dealer replied, "Okay. Sounds like a fair trade."

How can you get a Yugo to do 60 miles an hour?

Push it over a cliff.

The Yugo was basically a FIAT (128?) sold, presses & other machinery, to Yugoslavia -- to be manufactured there. Alot like the LADA which was sold to U.S.S.R. and was old FIAT designs (124, 131, etc.). These were not bad cars -- just the butt of jokes by Americans.

You may wish for cars like these.... someday in the future? :unsure:

+1 +1 +1 and +1!!! As an ex SV650S owner. Outstanding motorcycle! A blast to ride! Quality machine, with great resale value. Sorry I didn't keep the one I had!

JC

+1 on a small Ninja or a Suzuki SV650 for a first bike.

+ another 1 on staying away from the HyoShite 650, remember the Hyundai Excel .....