I didn't fall down...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that you didn't go down! Any time you can ride away from a deer strike is pretty amazing

I saw Wayne a few minutes after his group got to the EOM hotel on Thursday. Quite frankly, he looked like he was in shock. Because he prolly was. Hell, I think everyone was in shock that he hit a damn deer and kept the bike up. There were a lot of people, including me, looking slack-jawed back and forth between Wayne and his bike.

Anyhoo, glad you're here to tell us the story, bud. But you have one helluva method to get new bikes.

I was impressed that you were able to keep riding the rest of the weekend and then make it all the way home. Amazing Bikes

scare.gif
Glad you are okay

Incredible!! Glad to read didn't get hurt or go down. Plus the impact the FJR took and you still rode it as much as you did after and the fairing still stayed in place.

By the way, the seat pans from your last get off look great with RDLs on them. :)

It was nauseating to hear "I'm going down!" over the radio. That bad feeling in the pit of your stomach- creeping it's way up the back of your neck.....

I was behind Wayne, and behind the truck, but was able to look through the truck, and still see his helmet. Upright. And then see the helmet wobbling. I veered to the shoulder, passed the deer struggling to get up (and hoping he didn't jump up at the time I was passing him- just our luck he'd get a 2fer.), and then looking up at Wayne again and expecting to see parts flying through the air. (I know- real optimistic, right?).

But that didn't happen. 2 bikes came to rest on the shoulder, the truck had pulled off the road on the other side. Looking at each other- I don't know who had the most shock plastered across their face. Got the bikes up into the pull off area.

I was amazed. Obviously Wayne has been through this type of shock and stress. By golly, he stayed collected and calmed. (For the most part, at least.) I've never come across a scenario like that- let alone watch it unfold in front of me.

Thank goodness for his skill of riding and being able to keep it upright. Wow.

Again, I'm glad you did so well against Bambi. As for USAA - I wish you good luck but don't expect them to cover your next bike. Unless Ohio is different, they've gotten out of the 2 wheeled business.
Thank you again Wayne for EOM. It was a blast.

Mark
I have USAA too. They have subbed out the motorcycle insurance to Progressive.

Wow.

Glad you managed a potentially catastrophic event into a good story with a happy ending. I'll bet your adrenaline level goes up again just thinking about the incident.

When I met EDIT:Wayne at the front of the motel at 6:30pm on Thursday after the ride in, I had no idea he had hit a deer until he told me so in his matter-of-fact voice.

I swear he must have hit the whiskey already, as he seemed cool as a cucumber, medicated even.

Last edited by a moderator:
"- The deer got up and stumbled down into the bush – pretty sure he didn’t go far."

I can't believe you didn't go get it!

You sure have a lot of interesting stories after you go riding. My life is so boring...

:)

Nice save, Wayne. I did pretty much the same thing with my '05 several years back. and also managed to keep it upright. I was only going a bit over 40 mph when I hit it, but because of late September sun in the eyes, didn't see it soon enough to get any braking done Fricken bambi smashes the shit out of your Tupperware, flops around on the ground a little for effect, then when you have your back turned they run back into the woods.

Don't settle with the insurance adjuster until they get a really good look at the underlying damage. I had one bent brake rotor that was undetected by the adjuster on initial survey, but they picked it up during the disassembly at the shop. I later found out that my forks were tweaked back, ever so slightly, but that never got fixed even though they should have covered it. As I recall, even without the forks getting fixed, my bill came up to over $1600. I paid $250 of that. A deer hitting you (see what I did there?) should be covered by your comprehensive insurance, assuming that you carry it. That's good for you as the deductible is usually half of the collision.

So tell us... how was that adrenaline rush about 20 seconds after you hit the bastid?

Thanks for all the comments – So many things lined up in my favor in this one, I am thankful for every second and every breathe and refuse to curl up into a ball and hide – attack life!!

I don’t think this one is going to be parted out…

You are insuring a steady supply of gently used engines, you know?

I have a tank – a 2009 Gen 2 FJR!!

We need to pitch in and buy you a tank!

Luckily, the chamber had been cleared at the last rest stop!!

That's the seat, right? You sure the deer didn't scare the crap out of you? No shame in that....

I had a good bit of distance from that truck – making sure there was space for the last bike to get around when the road allowed.

I'm just curious... you just cleared a truck...you must have had plenty of room ahead of him so he didn't run yer butt down while you were braking.

Shock, I’m sure to some extend. First thing out of Annette’s mouth, “You’re NOT getting a Ducati!” and then, “You can just ride that damned DRZ…”

But you have one helluva method to get new bikes.

Speaks volumes about the Gen 2 FJR; based on the stories, a ’13 or up would have disintegrated on impact…

what a testimony for the FJR!

Who is Duane?

When I met Duane at the front of the motel

We could have used it to augment the shortage of bbq!!

Correct, the deer hit me and it’s covered under my comprehensive policy as an act of god.

covered by your comprehensive insurance

I was thinking flame throwers too – instant BBQ!

you might consider some modifications.

And leave it to Julie to point out that little deer milk dud wedged in the seat – she asked if that was from me or the deer right away, then proclaimed, “you scared the crap right out of it!!”

By golly, he stayed collected and calmed.

"- The deer got up and stumbled down into the bush pretty sure he didnt go far."
Just think how many extra banquet meals that deer could have provided!

Glad you made it through and returned home with bike damage rather than body damage.

And leave it to Julie to point out that little deer milk dud wedged in the seat – she asked if that was from me or the deer right away, then proclaimed, “you scared the crap right out of it!!” By golly, he stayed collected and calmed.
Just to clarify.....you 'knocked' the crap out of it!

"- The deer got up and stumbled down into the bush pretty sure he didnt go far."

Just think how many extra banquet meals that deer could have provided!

Glad you made it through and returned home with bike damage rather than body damage.
Who knows...he might have bruises dowm in the nether regions that he did not admit to. In fact the reason he didn't fall down may be because they ballooned in size and provided stability. Either way, he is an extrememarine.