I didn't fall down...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems Legit.
1920_deermap.png

Looking at that map. I'm guessing you'd have to hit the deer at the zoo in Hawaii.

I'm liking Idaho more and more when it comes to Western states for riding. Nice twisties and a lower Bambi Hit Ratio than NC.

And Wayne, yet another reason to ride NC instead of VA or Michigan.
rolleyes.gif

Don, do recall Don Stanley hit a deer in Utah on his new BMW 1600 with Seth onboard? Didn't go down, but huge damage... JSNS

"Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?"

Seems as if the club has grown to 3 forum peeps -

1. dcarver
  2. extrememarin
  3. fredw
  4. Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, do recall Don Stanley hit a deer in Utah on his new BMW 1600 with Seth onboard? Didn't go down, but huge damage... JSNS

"Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?"

Seems as if the club has grown to 3 forum peeps -

1. dcarver
  2. extrememarin
  3. fredw
  4. Anyone else?
The first deer strike I remember reading about on this forum was Warchild back in 2006 or 2007. He hit one pretty hard and did not fall down. There was a pretty good story posted about it back then but I think it was lost after the forum was hacked a year or two later.

Yep the deer hit Seth in the leg but he wasn't hurt bad.

After leaving EOM, we took 220 heading north, out of Roanoke. Had the whole 2 lane, twisty road to ourselves as we made our way through the GW National Forest. On two separate occasions, about 5 minutes apart, we had 2 deer dart across the road in front of us, about 100'. I thought of Wayne, and his experience, and immediately slowed us down to a more prudent speed. I became real concerned, to say the least.

Wayne, all the best in getting your bike back up and running,

Rob

We saw a lot of deer in Arkansas but successfully avoided any collisions only for me to go back to work and take out a buzzard with my service van. He feinted west and then went east.

Week of EOM, leading a small group on the way down, we came around a blind right hand corner early one morning at a good clip, I was completely in control and in my lane, and surprised two of the ruminants in the other lane. Neither of us twitched until we were within about 10 feet of each other. Luckily for Josie and me these were some of the smarter deer, and they exited stage left as we continued on our course. I did feather my brakes, but at the lean angle and damp roadway we were on, I couldn't get too aggressive with the binders. I slowed down a little after that on the blind corners, at least until afternoon.

A little while later we came on a small car that was upside down on the Parkway with a big crowd hanging around. Being on bikes we were able to go slowly off the road and around the carnage to continue along. The story was it was a young driver that was trying to avoid a deer and ended up rolling their little econo-box car. Since I did not see any deer carcass, but the car was a total with all air bags deployed, I'd have to to say they failed pretty badly..

As we move into mid-October and through November, the Whitetail deer are in rut, and will become much more hazardous. Be careful out there, and hopefully starting in November the hunters will take out a few of the forest rates...they may also flush wildlife onto roadways. This is my idea of good deer:

149386d1425578187-hitch-capacity-2015-outback-deer.jpg

Typically, we associate peak time for forest rat movement as early morning and at dusk. My impact was at 3pm...

I slowed down a little after that on the blind corners, at least until afternoon.

The reinforced lesson in this for me was - Ride / Drive through it. Do not swerve, dodge, or otherwise try to avoid it. If I had tried to swerve while that deep in the brakes, I'm pretty sure the result would have been less favorable on my side of the equation.

A little while later we came on a small car that was upside down on the Parkway with a big crowd hanging around. Being on bikes we were able to go slowly off the road and around the carnage to continue along. The story was it was a young driver that was trying to avoid a deer and ended up rolling their little econo-box car. Since I did not see any deer carcass, but the car was a total with all air bags deployed, I'd have to to say they failed pretty badly..

The reinforced lesson in this for me was - Ride / Drive through it. Do not swerve, dodge, or otherwise try to avoid it. If I had tried to swerve while that deep in the brakes, I'm pretty sure the result would have been less favorable on my side of the equation.

Just to add the visual:

IMG_20160921_1518125611.jpg

This has been just about the smoothest experience for a claim - hats off to USAA...

Bike is totaled. Salvage cost was $710. I keep the bike and no salvage title required in Michigan due to age of the vehicle. Parts ordered... When is the next techday??

This has been just about the smoothest experience for a claim - hats off to USAA...
Bike is totaled. Salvage cost was $710. I keep the bike and no salvage title required in Michigan due to age of the vehicle. Parts ordered... When is the next techday??
Come on down here on Nov. 11-12. I'm sure we could fix you up.
moil.gif