I don't know where to start with this

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every motorcycle rider will eventually die. Fact.

Of course, so will all the non-riders.

I sure was lucky up until I got taught by Lee Parks, now I'm taught by an expert, so I won't need luck anymore.

The fact is that it’s impossible to learn how to stop a motorcycle properly from any amount of experience (unless God is riding two-up). That’s because when you stop fast the rear goes up, not down, and if you stop fast enough the rear wheel locks, the rear end fishtails, and when you see the flailing rear end out of the corner of your eye, every synapse in your head tells you to get off the rear brake. That’s when you die. I won’t bore you with the physics, but it’s called getting a “high side.”
Maybe someone should introduce him to his front brakes, or a bike that actually has them. Not to mention that proper gear might actually allow you to live through a high side... amazing but true... technology has advanced beyond the do-rag and leather vest.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact is that it’s impossible to learn how to stop a motorcycle properly from any amount of experience (unless God is riding two-up). That’s because when you stop fast the rear goes up, not down, and if you stop fast enough the rear wheel locks, the rear end fishtails, and when you see the flailing rear end out of the corner of your eye, every synapse in your head tells you to get off the rear brake. That’s when you die. I won’t bore you with the physics, but it’s called getting a “high side.”
Maybe someone should introduce him to his front brakes, or a bike that actually has them.

Hmmmmm....I guess when I was able to stop in time when the Mercedes stepped out in front of me in 2004, when I was doing 40-ish, I must have been on the only 2001 Dyna Glide factory-equipped with front brakes (I later got rid of that bike, but it did have the requisite number of brakes and levers to work 'em, both when I bought it and sold it - but maybe it was a special-order "factory-custom" Dyna.)

:glare:

I later got rid of that bike, but it did have the requisite number of brakes and levers to work 'em, both when I bought it and sold it - but maybe it was a special-order "factory-custom" Dyna.)
Must've been a custom... since apparently on his bike, when breaking heavily, the rear is the only thing to worry about. ;)

Every motorcycle rider will eventually die. Fact.
Of course, so will all the non-riders.

I sure was lucky up until I got taught by Lee Parks, now I'm taught by an expert, so I won't need luck anymore.
I'm gonna hope I get lucky...I think we all could use a little luck. Im not sure wondering in circles on a parking lot is enough training to give up any luck one might have. I'm pretty sure that class he teaches is dedicated to his expertly skilled buddy who was killed on a motorcycle. I think you were prolly being sarcastic.

That’s because when you stop fast the rear goes up, not down, and if you stop fast enough the rear wheel locks, the rear end fishtails, and when you see the flailing rear end out of the corner of your eye, every synapse in your head tells you to get off the rear brake. That’s when you die. I won’t bore you with the physics, but it’s called getting a “high side.
Can he spell "ABS"?

and ERC - with some lots of parking lot practice. I'm sure the reaction time of the 40+ rider dulled by one to many brews doesn't help much.

Wow, what a looser! I hate pussy victims.

I responded to his article with the following.

Jerry,

As a 45 year old motorcyclist with Road Racing experience, 26 years of continuous street riding experience and 10 years of motocross racing experience, it is very clear that you have very little knowledge of motorcycles.

Your explaination of motorcycle braking, and high siding a motorcycle obviously show that you clearly know nothing about what you are writing.

Did you know the reason that the rear of a road racing bike comes up, is because you are braking so aggressively on the front tire? It is impossible to learn how to stop a motorcycle from any amount of experience? This just sounds like an excuse because you didn't learn.

Did you know that high sides are caused when you are turning, not braking, and the rear slides out and then regains traction. A high side has nothing to do with loosing control while breaking.

Just because you have ridden a Harley doesn't mean that you know anything about how to handle a performance motorcycle.

Maybe the article should have been about your incompetance in being able to learn how to handle a motorcycle properly, and if you had studied the sport, as if you were an athlete, you may have had better luck with the sport.

Maybe you should have mentioned all of the things you personally neglected in doing on the path to becoming a competant motorcyclist. Such as a MSF course, track days, dirt bike experience to learn how to handle sliding in a controlled environment, reading books on performance riding, studying motorcycle handling dynamics and of course focused practice in a controlled environment, over and over again.

Instead you have chosen the path of the liberal media victim. "It's not my fault, I'm incompetant", motorcycles are dangerous.

Take personal responsability Jerry. To master any skill or sport takes effort, practice and dedication. Maybe the article should have been entitled, "$20,000 might buy a Harley, but not the skill to ride it"

I won’t bore you with the physics, but it’s called getting a “high side.”
Uh, huh, huh, huh, I think I'm getting a high side. Eve! Wake up, honey. I have something for you....we'll call it a physics lesson....

Jerry,

As a 45 year old motorcyclist with Road Racing experience, 26 years of continuous street riding experience and 10 years of motocross racing experience, it is very clear that you have very little knowledge of motorcycles.

Your explaination of motorcycle braking, and high siding a motorcycle obviously show that you clearly know nothing about what you are writing.

Did you know the reason that the rear of a road racing bike comes up, is because you are braking so aggressively on the front tire? It is impossible to learn how to stop a motorcycle from any amount of experience? This just sounds like an excuse because you didn't learn.

Did you know that high sides are caused when you are turning, not braking, and the rear slides out and then regains traction. A high side has nothing to do with loosing control while breaking.

Just because you have ridden a Harley doesn't mean that you know anything about how to handle a performance motorcycle.

Maybe the article should have been about your incompetance in being able to learn how to handle a motorcycle properly, and if you had studied the sport, as if you were an athlete, you may have had better luck with the sport.

Maybe you should have mentioned all of the things you personally neglected in doing on the path to becoming a competant motorcyclist. Such as a MSF course, track days, dirt bike experience to learn how to handle sliding in a controlled environment, reading books on performance riding, studying motorcycle handling dynamics and of course focused practice in a controlled environment, over and over again.

Instead you have chosen the path of the liberal media victim. "It's not my fault, I'm incompetant", motorcycles are dangerous.

Take personal responsability Jerry. To master any skill or sport takes effort, practice and dedication. Maybe the article should have been entitled, "$20,000 might buy a Harley, but not the skill to ride it"
Bravo John Dumke.

Jerry,

John:

While I agree that Jerry is a bit confused it is absolutely possible to high side your motorcycle while braking. A highside fall/crash is caused when the rear tire gets out of line with the front and then suddenly regains traction. This snaps the rear tire back in line with the front and can be quite violent, frequently tossing the rider off of the bike on the "high side". When discussing high sides with my students I refer to it as pole vaulting with your motorcycle! As you stated, this happens a lot in road racing while cornering but can also happen if a rider locks the rear tire while braking and releases pressure from the rear brake at just the wrong moment (when the rear tire is most out of line with the front). This is why in an MSF class we teach a student who has locked the rear tire while braking to keep it locked until he has stopped.

I think you are right about Jerry's reasons for writing what he did. I just wanted to make sure that others reading his work understand that there is a grain of truth to what he said.

Dave

John:While I agree that Jerry is a bit confused it is absolutely possible to high side your motorcycle while braking. A highside fall/crash is caused when the rear tire gets out of line with the front and then suddenly regains traction. This snaps the rear tire back in line with the front and can be quite violent, frequently tossing the rider off of the bike on the "high side". When discussing high sides with my students I refer to it as pole vaulting with your motorcycle! As you stated, this happens a lot in road racing while cornering but can also happen if a rider locks the rear tire while braking and releases pressure from the rear brake at just the wrong moment (when the rear tire is most out of line with the front). This is why in an MSF class we teach a student who has locked the rear tire while braking to keep it locked until he has stopped.

I think you are right about Jerry's reasons for writing what he did. I just wanted to make sure that others reading his work understand that there is a grain of truth to what he said.

Dave
Yes, technically you may be correct, but I have never high sided a bike in this manner, nor have I ever seen any road racing footage of a high side due to straight line braking and locking the rear wheel. I guess you can also high side a bike by breaking the rear wheel under accelleration, sliding it sideways and then chopping the throttle. This is probably just as likely. Oh... I forgot we were talking about a complete Dork on a Harleys. Guess not.

And it still doesn't change the fact that he is a PUSSY! :D

Actually the relative weight transfers to the front and the rear end "lightens" when braking no matter which brake you use. Using the front brake agressively is more effective in causing this weight transfer, however it is important to understand that either front or rear braking will cause it.

A high side can result when a skidding rear wheel regains ( or abruptly increases ) traction while out of alignment with the bikes direction of travel. So a locked up rear wheel can absolutely lead to a high side if the brake is released while the the rear of the bike is sidways to the direction of travel. A simple way to understand this is to imagine your bike sliding sideways until something grabs the bottom of the rear wheel. This will cause the top of the bike to rotate in the direction of travel, and up and over she goes!

P.S. I once watched 8 dirt track bikes all high side in a spectacular crash when the guy in the lead blew up his engine and laid down a giant oil spill. The bikes skided sideways in the oil and then highsided when they reached the the dry dirt. Same principle, just a different way of getting the result...

Jerry,

Your explaination explanation of motorcycle braking, and high siding a motorcycle obviously show that you clearly know nothing about what you are writing.

Did you know that high sides are caused when you are turning, not braking, and the rear slides out and then regains traction.[SIZE=14pt]?[/SIZE] A high side has nothing to do with loosing control while breaking braking.

Maybe the article should have been about your incompetance incompetence in being able to learn how to handle a motorcycle properly, and if you had studied the sport, as if you were an athlete, you may have had better luck with the sport.

Maybe you should have mentioned all of the things you personally neglected in doing on the path to becoming a competant competent motorcyclist. Such as a MSF course, track days, dirt bike experience to learn how to handle sliding in a controlled environment, reading books on performance riding, studying motorcycle handling dynamics and of course focused practice in a controlled environment, over and over again.

Instead you have chosen the path of the liberal media victim. "It's not my fault, I'm incompetant incompetent", motorcycles are dangerous.

Take personal responsability responsibility Jerry. To master any skill or sport takes effort, practice and dedication. Maybe the article should have been entitled, "$20,000 might buy a Harley, but not the skill to ride it"
Just a couple of points to consider when sending someone an email telling them that they aren't very intelligent...

I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes:

So, yer spell check does work, eh gun? I'm proud of you, boy. Job well done.