I got christened today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitly go aftermarket.

i'm 5'6 (on a good day) and went with a v-stream. at my height, i have about 2 inches of adjustment before i'm looking through the shield (which i choose not to do 99% of the time). This maximizes my wind protection, minimizes my wind noise, reduces wind buffetting, and allows the shield to stay in a low position (which has a big impact on the amount of engine heat you feel (the higher the shield, the more heat gets sucked up to the rider area)). if you just looking for a slight bit more coverage than stock, then this aint your shield. V-stream is 3 1/4 inches higher than stock and quite a bit wider also. If you do alot of commuting and long distance highway touring, the V-stream is highly recommended. If most of your time is spent canyon carving, continue down the aftermarket path, but you wont need anything quite this big.

GreyGoose

Here in the Northeast we are always going through toll booths. Most riders have the EZpass, problem is the dam thing doesn't always work. Now your sitting there, have to wait for an attendant/cop, take off gloves, take pass out of the map pocket, hand it to attendant who BANGS it on mechanism... Wait for gate, he hands it back, throw it into the pocket, throw gloves on and hope the gate isn't coming down at that point... I ALWAYS put hazards on when approaching booth!

The other thing I found is to approach toll booth in the middle of the lane. YES, this is the most dangerous section but 9 out of 10 times the EZpass works. I'll take the risk other then getting rear ended by a NY cabbie trying to time the booth gate....

I'm 5'10" and the V-Stream has been great not only for less wind buffeting but less fatigue over the long day rides. I think this is due to less pressure on the helmet from the wind. Definitely warmer in the Winter but less air flow in the summer. I bet the price is not too far off from the stock shield. Maybe some of the FJR bros have exact figures.......

I'm 5'8" and have a Cee Bailey flip top, + 2 on the top and +2 on the width. It eliminated the buffeting for me and created more of a neutral to negative pressure rider area. I am thrilled with the difference that it gives me, plus lots of adjustability with the elec up and down. Go aftermarket, my $0.02.

More importantly, glad you're only concern is upgrading, not rehabilitating.

Bob

I'm 5'10" and the V-Stream has been great not only for less wind buffeting but less fatigue over the long day rides. I think this is due to less pressure on the helmet from the wind. Definitely warmer in the Winter but less air flow in the summer. I bet the price is not too far off from the stock shield. Maybe some of the FJR bros have exact figures.......
I haven't priced a stock shield, but I just bought a Vstream for $136 from umotors (includes $10 shipping). You won't find it cheaper anywhere else. Works great in the winter, but it's coming off in the summer along with the Vstrom handguards.

Adding my attaboy for surviving that little love tap, but here's a thought: I got smacked in a little VW bug years ago while sitting at an intersection. Little 17 year old girl decided to make a right (came up from behind and tried to pass around me) from the left lane. What I did: followed the rules, reported the accident, and went thru weeks of hassle with her old man's insurance company, getting estimates, etc., etc., etc. What I SHOULD HAVE DONE: Have her give me her old man's number and call him up right then and there, explain I had maybe 300-400 bucks damage, and I'd take, say, double that, cash, to forget about it. Would have saved me soooo much hassle, would have saved him probably thousands, counting insurance boosts, etc. The topper was, years later I was talking to my own agent about a little claim, somebody broke into my car trunk, and he checked back into his records and there it was: an ACCIDENT I'd been involved in! Shit, I was STOPPED, and didn't even make a claim with my own damn company. Live and learn. Next time, if nobody's hurt, I'm going straight to negotiations.

Brake gimmicks are great for a warm and fuzzy feeling. My thoughts - you could have 2 hot naked young chicks going at it on the back and waving a STOP sign, and you'll still get tagged. People do this for one simple reason - they are NOT LOOKING. If they are not looking, it doesn't matter one single bit what kind of brake gimmick you have going off on your rear end.
This would only cause you you get hit more. You would be getting run into by the ones wanting to get involved and those wanting them to stop. T.

Glad your ok I have a ceibaily 2" higher 2"wider with flip up works very good for me i am 6' stock hight would most likely work for you.

While you're spending $$, get those hyperlite brake lights... I will never own a bike w/o them.
I too believe in the hyperlite brake lights even though they didn't help me (I wasn't braking at the time) when I was rear ended by a 79 year old man.

Just glad your OK!
I have the Hyper-lite brake and running lights - two separate units to cover all bases. :p