I just bought a 2008AE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why buy a manual clutch? Your the one who fell over, you tell us. :assassin: AE's and low speed turns don't mix!
Don't have any probs making low speed u-turns on my AE. Ride the rear brake a little, twist the throttle slightly to get into the friction zone, and bingo bango bongo, you just made a low speed u-turn without dabbing.

I have burned the left boot heel before.....but..... believe it or not, it has happened to only one of my three pairs of riding boots. I have not had a problem with the other two pairs.

The victimized boot is a laced motorcycle boot that looks like working boots, meaning it has a thick sole and heel with lots of "treads". I believe the Cruiserworks boots are like this. The other two pair are Italian, streamlined boots with pretty thin soles and heels, Sidi boots.

BTW, I use my Sidi boots 90% of the time and the "treads" boots about 10% of the time. So time of exposure is not the reason.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Why buy a manual clutch? Your the one who fell over, you tell us. :assassin: AE's and low speed turns don't mix!
I fell over in neutral while stopped with the engine off. It was pure bufonery on my part :cry: , no fault of the bike.
Sorry about your drop, man. BTDT; most have done dumb-assed moves with motorcycles that evoked a "DOH!" with a self-inflicted head slap -- the rest lie. ;)

EDIT: You are now a member of the drop club and can ignominiously display the appropriate icon in your signature line if you wish. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new bike. That's a pretty sweet quote. I may have to borrow it from time to time. The blown fuse is an easy fix. You probably will want to add at least one Powerlet plugin, somewhere on your bike to accomodate the heated gear / farkles. Since I'm not trying to ride a wheelie on my Feejer, who needs a clutch anyway. Safe riding.
DSCN0631.jpg

Congrats Jim. I think I posted to your when you were shopping. Thats were I bought my bike too. You should have PM'd me you were coming. I would have used it as excuse to ride some of the stretch with you!

Enjoy (I am) ;)

Hey Blurry Vision no one told me or my AE that you can't pop a wheelie on an AE model. Any time in first over 4500 RPM just blip the throtle with a little tug and hang on while pointing skyward and grabing another gear while up there couldn't be easier.

Thanks for all the kind words and good advice. I should have frame sliders by the end of the week, after that an additional power outlet such as the side mounted one is next for sure.

They mix just fine, its a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down its very easy to control the clutch via the throttle. You just have to avoid dropping it before you learn. I came close once in the first few weeks I had my AE but now its second nature.

I just bought a 2008 FJR AE from Action Powersports in Tulsa based on their Ebay ad. The first thing I did with it was ride from Tulsa to Austin (~500 miles). :bike:
Jim,

I had my eye on that bike. You beat me to it. :)

-Steve in Phx.

Jim,I had my eye on that bike. You beat me to it. :)

-Steve in Phx.

He had three left when I bought mine.

Really? Were they all the same year, model, color, etc?
As soon as we signed the papers we went to the shop to collect my bike. The sales managertold one of the mechanics 'go to the warehouse and bring over another FJR'. I asked him about that, and my recollection is that he said they purchased 25 like mine at an auction and there were now 3 left.

Call Justin at Action Powersports in Tulsa, 918-838-8001, and ask him to get the straight story.

Jim,I had my eye on that bike. You beat me to it. :)

-Steve in Phx.

He had three left when I bought mine.

Really? Were they all the same year, model, color, etc?
As soon as we signed the papers we went to the shop to collect my bike. The sales managertold one of the mechanics 'go to the warehouse and bring over another FJR'. I asked him about that, and my recollection is that he said they purchased 25 like mine at an auction and there were now 3 left.

Call Justin at Action Powersports in Tulsa, 918-838-8001, and ask him to get the straight story.
Ditto.. They have been grabbing these up for at least 6 months and have not run out yet. I got mine in September. Jim "cover your eyes". Do not buy via Ebay. You can work a better price contacting them directly (they will not have to pay ebay fee's). I saved an additional $100 this in way in Sept.

Now they are listing their actions with a "make an offer" option. This tells me they will take less than asking price. They were more firm in price, but it's now December (End of year, and end of riding season)...I'd bet they take a 10K out the door offer.