I just changed my oil.... and......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to turn this into an oil thread, but you can't tell how old the oil is or how much abuse it's had by only the color.
Regarding that bit of metal, Did you respond to the comment that it could be from that protective ring that surrounds the drain bolt on the bottom of the oil pan?
I checked, it wasn't from the protector. It was fairly chewed up, so it came from inside.

Lucas

Just a newbee here but I am replacing my clutch. 16000 mi apxt. One of the friction plates exploded and was in 20 pieces when I removed it. Because not all the pieces were recovered I pulled the oil pan where I found the missing piece and a lot of friction material. If I were you I would put the engine under heavy load, full throttle in 4th gear from 3500 rpm and see if there is some slippage. Engine spinning faster than accelerating. If so have your clutch inspected. my 2 cents.
2enqdmr.jpg

That's what the shop found on my 07! Only on mine, all the pieces of that plate had fallen out of the basket, and actually the first thing they told me was that the bike was missing a friction plate, but then they saw some of the bits, pulled the pan and found the remains of the plate.

Mine started slipping on me, probably around 6 or 7k mi. Just so you know, in the end I did get that covered under warranty.

Also, if you pull the basket out, take careful note when reinstalling, as the balance gear there has 2 marks on it, and you need to line up the correct one (just ask how I know). And make sure to soak your new clutch plates before installing!

I don't want to turn this into an oil thread, but you can't tell how old the oil is or how much abuse it's had by only the color.
Regarding that bit of metal, Did you respond to the comment that it could be from that protective ring that surrounds the drain bolt on the bottom of the oil pan?
I checked, it wasn't from the protector. It was fairly chewed up, so it came from inside.

Lucas
Lacking a photo, I still say it's the "protector" as you are calling it.

Throw the bike away and get another. I'll take the old one off your hands. Free.